back to article Compare Apple's and oranges: LaCie's hi-vis jacket-wearing disk is not for hipsters

Fancy a drive in a high-visibility jacket so it never gets lost and can withstand knocks, scrapes and drops of two metres? Then LaCie’s latest Rugged disk should be on your radar. This is the first update of the Rugged line since Seagate bought the French hardware biz. The new drive was designed by Neil Poulton; minimalist …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worth every penny

Honestly, they are worth every penny. I have 2 that go everywhere with me and have had no issues at all despite heavy use since 2008.

The only thing to note is that what you are paying for is excellent protection for the disk. The drive itself is the same as any other so the risk of failure is the same. What you are buying is a rugged casing for it.

1. Gordon 10
      WTF?

Re: Worth every penny

So why wouldnt I buy a commodity drive and stick a £10 ebay bumper on it? Or buy an SSD that will work unless physically crushed by a lorry - regardless of the case its in.

Seems a like a lot to pay. The only USP is the thunderbolt connector.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Does anyone find it worth paying the extra for the thunderbolt connector? Does anyone need multiple connectors?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Video editors would for a start. More simultaneous HD or 4K video channels than USB 3 can support!

And multiple connectors are very handy when sharing the drive between multiple machines, some of which may be older and not have the latest connectors.

My existing Lacie drives have USB3 and Firewire 800. The Firewire 800 is useful for the older edit suites as otherwise I have to drop to USB2 which takes forever to transfer the data.

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The difference between these looks to be the IP rating (no note of this on the ebay item, IP54 for the lacie) and I'd hope that the interior circuitry / connectors would be more rugged in the lacie than the ebay item.

1. Michael Thibault

>I'd hope that the interior circuitry / connectors would be more rugged in the lacie

They're counting on you doing just that. Vain hope.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So why wouldnt I buy a commodity drive and stick a £10 ebay bumper on it?"

Because it's not the same?

2. Ted Treen
    Headmaster

"...Compare Apple's and oranges...

Compare Apple's what with oranges?

1. Gordon 10

Dont you mean Apples with Apricots? /halycon days

1. Michael Habel

Dont you mean Apples with Apricots? /halycon days

The Register needs to bring back the Salmon Days

1. Alistair
          Pint

Salmon, apricots, apples.

Dammit now you've all gone and gotten me thinking about what I'm gonna barbeque tonight.

And I think I'm out of capers.....

1. WraithCadmus
            Pint

Re: Salmon, apricots, apples.

Just keep grilling halloumi, I'll tell you when to stop.

2. Michael Habel

Really its been over a Month now since the last BOFH... Justr say'n...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or you could get a Transcend 2TB StoreJet 2.5 inch USB 3.0 for about 100 pounds

Transcend 2TB StoreJet 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive

and if you want further protection, this drive will fit in Black Case Logic QHDC-101 Hard Drive Case.

1. Amorous Cowherder

Re: Or you could get a Transcend 2TB StoreJet 2.5 inch USB 3.0 for about 100 pounds

The 1TB version is only £50! That cheap and that small, I'd get two and mirror while I'm out on a "camp'n'shoot" trip rather than pay daft money to Lacie. Even more so as USB is good enough for the transfer of a couple of CF cards at the end of the day.

4. Infernoz Bronze badge
    WTF?

More money than sense

Just get a portable USB3.0 drive and shape some of those packets of Silcone Rubber on it, you could even use a reverse shape made from a model if you are fussy.

Most of the cost is probably due to a stupidly expensive Thunderbolt interface and the brand 'premium'.

5. Tom 38
    Thumb Up

I love LaCie

They really have the balls to take any old tat, put it in a slightly prettier than average enclosure, and charge an absolute fortune for it.

"Mais oius Mssr, our petit hard drive case is perfect pour votre marketing content. Il est ruggedized. Non, Mssr, you do not want this same no-name thing from Dabs that is half the price, how will you know it is reassuringly expensive and work with your reassuringly expensive Mac?".

Thing is, they've been doing this since the 90s and still get on with it - its the capitalist dream, taking tat and adding "value". Magic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like