back to article High power computing and awesome Chinese food? Sign me up!

Have a look at the last of the 16 teams that competed at the ASC14 Student Cluster Competition in Guangzhou, China. Team Korea (Ulan Institute of Science & Technology) is a second time competitor at ASC. As you’d expect, the first student I talk to from the team is, of course, Spanish. I was wondering if he was actually with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Video made me laugh

TL;DL

"I am a Spaniard studying in South Korea. Classes are in English, so I don't know a lot of Korean. But as we talk, you'll find out that I don't really know English all that well either."

1. Chris Miller

Re: Video made me laugh

A few years ago, I was travelling by train to Debrecen in Hungary and found myself opposite a Norwegian medical student who was studying there. I asked how his Hungarian was (his English was, of course, excellent) - he replied that he hardly spoke any, as all his classes were in English. He told me: "My professor says that in 100 years, there will only be one language in the world - Bad English".

2. TheVogon

Re: Video made me laugh

"and awesome Chinese food?"

Presumably you are confusing what passes for Chinese food in UK restaurants versus the very different "anything that moves, and most things that don't" dietary approach of the native Chinese.

I think this photo sums it up quite well: http://poetry.rotten.com/shavedpussy/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dont Drink the Water

and avoid the seafood as well.

In fact, dont even use the water to brush your teeth; this time of year there are more bugs than actual water in the pipes.

Guangzhou, you can smell the toilets from 7 miles off shore - even though it is over 100 miles inland!!!!

3. Eddy Ito

we’ll have an up close and personal look at Tainhe-2

I don't think that's right as tainhe would be be either stairs or essence but I grant that my Cantonese/jyutping is rather rusty. I assume it should be 天河 which is tiānhé in pinyin and I believe tínhȍ would be the equivalent in jyutping.

4. Neil Gerstenberg

That should read "Tianhe-2" as Eddy assumed (天河), meaning "Heavenly River" ("The Milky Way") which is also the name of a relatively recent and very upmarket area in Guangzhou, not far from the university. Never had a problem cleaning my teeth there either, and the seafood is fantastic.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. breakfast Silver badge

Entirely tangential

I got a fortune cookie yesterday that said "You love Chinese food."

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Entirely tangential

"You love Chinese food. Why not wait a while and buy more?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like