back to article Doubletalk: Geeksphone Revolution dual-OS smartphone

Open-source enthusiasts have hailed Mozilla’s Firefox smartphone operating system as a liberation from the power and intrusiveness of Google, Apple and Microsoft, who each demand your soul in return for getting the most out of their mobile OSes. The open-source crowd may have a point, though a larger number of commentators are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

Interesting

I wonder if the Ubuntu phone OS or Sailfish could also be ported to it?

2. Anonymous Coward 101

'Micro SD storage expansion and a removable battery'

They must have read the forums here.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Dual OS

It'd be nice if it were dual boot instead of dual OS... Perhaps Mozilla need to do something about that to get momentum for Firefox OS.

4. Raumkraut

The Revolution will be Firefoxed

I used to use a ZTE Open. It was my first smartphone, and it was okay.

I now use a Revolution with Firefox OS (technically Boot2Gecko/B2G, likely for some licensing reason). Compared to the ZTE Open it's dreamy-smooth (which is not saying much, admittedly), and certainly a better platform for seeing what Firefox OS is capable of (or not).

Hardware-wise, I'd say it was... quirky. The power button is on the top, but on the left side - which is the opposite to what I remember from all other phones I've seen. Having the microUSB slot on the left side (about 1/4 of the way down) is just weird. And, on my unit at least, the volume-down button seems somewhat mis-aligned, in that it is difficult to activate and has no "clunk". However, the volume-up part is fine.

And in case anyone is wondering; it uses a micro-SIM, not a nano-SIM as some early (p)reviews reported.

OS-wise, it shows that Firefox OS, while very functional for the basics, is still a WIP - in terms of both feature-set and the presence of minor bugs and irritations. The new wallpapers in 1.3, featuring the fire-fox itself, are great though.

So the Revolution is certainly not a bad phone, but personally, if I were looking to get a new Firefox OS phone and didn't absolutely need one this week, I'd wait and see how the Flame (the upcoming official developer phone) stacks up.

5. JDX Gold badge

Given who makes the OS, unsurprisingly, the web browser is impressively efficient.

Considering my last experiences with FF, it IS a bit of a surprise to me!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Given who makes the OS, unsurprisingly, the web browser is impressively efficient.

You're a bit out of date, it's IE and Chrome that are the memory hogs now.

link

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Given who makes the OS, unsurprisingly, the web browser is impressively efficient.

Since when is reported memory usage the only factor?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Okay, what's your definition of efficiency?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calling it geeksphone isn't going to endear it to many.

Still if someone say "that's a geeks phone" you can at least say "I know".

1. Lamont Cranston

But, geeks are cool now, right?

I assume that's what they're going for, anyway - besides, no one else is going to care that it can boot an operating system that they've not heard of.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Tempting

I'm still a die-hard feature phone user but this may lure me to the dark side.

8. Joe Burmeister

GPU?

It looks like it's PowerVR from what little I've found. That is a deal breaker for me because of the state of PowerVR drivers. There is no open drivers for PowerVR. Everyone seams to scream and run when they look at starting one. No open drivers means it won't work for long, least not with a modern kernel. Then you get those locked old dependencies spreading out across userspace like some kind of freezing death.

It is my firm hope that one day, every Linux distro with have a selection of phone UIs and apps to choose from, and we can all pick and mix. But only with open drivers is this possible.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like