back to article Former Microsoftie becomes US ambassador, opts to swear in on KINDLE

A US ambassador has become the first public official to be sworn into office using a Kindle. Normally, incoming politicians take their oath with one hand on a holy book or a print-out of the country's constitution, but former Microsoft employee Suzi LeVine wanted to bring this tradition up to date. She took an oath of office …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sorry, what?
    Joke

Load up your Kindle and...

Swear in on Viz and the Two Fat Slags.

1. Ralph B

Re: Load up your Kindle and...

> Swear in on Viz and the Two Fat Slags.

Well, it could be worse. Much worse.

I wonder if they did check the content of the Kindle, and therefore what else she was also swearing on, beyond that currently being displayed ... ?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I wonder if they did check the content of the Kindle, and therefore what else she was also swearing on, beyond that currently being displayed ... ?"

Yes, that was my first thought too. After all, stating the oath while displaying the 19th amendment might mean the oath was taken just for that statement. The rest of the document is just "in memory" along with any and all other documents stored on that e-reader and so may have equal "standing" in terms of "taking the oath".

I can just imagine the conspiracy theories from the "birthers" if Obama had took his oath on a Kindle or iPad and books they would be claiming were also on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I can just imagine the conspiracy theories from the "birthers" if Obama had took his oath on a Kindle or iPad and books they would be claiming were also on it.

Yes, but doing this on a Zune would certainly not be seen as taking things seriously :)

2. Simon Harris
      Joke

Wouldn't Roger Mellie be better for swearing in on?

2. frank ly

I suppose ...

... that if the appropriate document is displayed on the screen then it's a legally valid oath.

1. hplasm
      Paris Hilton

Re: I suppose ...

"placing one hand on a Kindle Touch"

Which then turned the page to something else...?

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Up the river

> She took an oath of office on Monday ... placing one hand on a Kindle Touch

One would hope the object at the centre of the swearing in has some idealogical meaning for the swear-ee. That it reflects their core beliefs and/or values and that this is what they are linking to the oath they profess,

In that case, it's not just the symbolism of what's on open display, as bibles and other holy books are closed for the oath, so what's displayed is unimportant - save for identifying the object for what it is. But the symbolic quality of the object resides in all the other texts, ideas and values contained within.With the Kindle, one would assume that contains Amazon's terms and conditions for use (among other things).

One of the sentences says:

By using the Kindle, any Reading Application or the Service, you agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement.

And with this swearing in, the Kindle has definitely been "used", if not for the intended purpose: but used is used. Has she just sold her (diplomatic) soul to Amazon?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Up the river

Is the use of a Kindle in this way one of the accepted, licenced uses of the device, deviating from which invalidates the warranty?

4. Suricou Raven

I expect to soon read an article somewhere saying that by not sweating on the bible is spitting on American values and another demonstration of liberal hate for Christ.

1. AceRimmer

I personally hate it when filthy do gooders stop me sweating on the bible.

I'll sweat where I goddamn want to

1. G.Y.

You may swear on a _stack_ of bibles, if you so choose.

5. Ken Y-N

Looking at the picture, I see...

It's amendment 19 of the US Constitution that she's swearing on, which is about female suffrage.

Quite ironic, though, since she was appointed, and on the basis of her being a big fundraiser.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was the UK tax paid?

On the Kindle that she swore on?

Might be illegal then, and oath invlaid.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Re: Was the UK tax paid?

> The oath was made at the American embassy in London

The embassy will be considered U.S. soil and therefore not part of the E.U. or the U.K. (except for when it suits the embassy staff: such as to watch UK TV (which, according to the broadcast copyrights may only be watched in the UK), using "our" air and water, etc.

And as for taxes: given that the U.S. along with Russia and a few others, mostly equatorial-belt dictatorships, refuses to pay UK taxes and levies such as the congestion charge¹, traffic violations and parking tickets, I don't think there's much hope they'd do the honourable thing here, either.

[1] ref: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23266149

1. Rick Brasche

Re: Was the UK tax paid?

your ambassadors fail to pay any taxes here, so why should we have a different reciprocal agreement?

"Diplomatic Immunity" means all foreign ambassadors kick their speeding, parking, etc tickets to the curb.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lovely..

Former Microsoft employee, becoming United States Ambassador to Lichtenstein and Switzerland.

That's like making Tony Blair the Middle East peace envoy. Oh, wait ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Former Microsoft employee becomes Microsoft Ambassador to Lichtenstein ..

re: "Former Microsoft employee, becoming United States Ambassador to Lichtenstein and Switzerland. That's like making Tony Blair the Middle East peace envoy. Oh, wait" ..

Corrected Title ..

8. Mark Simon

Revokeable Oath ?

What happens if Amazon decides to remove the Bible from the Kindle as they did with Orwell’s 1984? Many editions of the Bible are copyrighted, so it’s conceivable.

Does that mean that the oath is invalidated?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Revokeable Oath ?

The number of people who have sworn an oath on the bible or equivelent publication, and had lied, means that the whole idea of swearing on a publication should be invalidated.

1. phil dude
        Boffin

Re: Revokeable Oath ?

Well in principle there is nothing wrong with a vocal swearing in on <dusty manuscript>. The problem is the ideological compliance that is implied.

I cannot know this for sure, but the second line to the US declaration of Independence "We find these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...." was chosen to be as unconstrained as possible. Even the use of the term "their Creator", is as close to "doesn't matter what fairies you believe in, this is always true".

P.

9. Bob Wheeler
    WTF?

Location??

"She took an oath of office on Monday to be sworn in as United States Ambassador to Lichtenstein and Switzerland, ... The oath was made at the American embassy in London"

Why was the oath taken/made in London?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Location??

Why was the oath taken/made in London?

You may recall that certain nations have problems with geography the moment they leave their own country? Alternatively, maybe they used Bing maps?

On a more serious node, I think the swearing in was done in London because they have a more substantial embassy there - probably a better place to give them their secure briefing than the offices in Switzerland and Liechtenstein, especially after they pissed off those nations something solid.

As far as I recall from protocol, they still need to present their credentials to the host nations so she may have been sworn in from the US side but she is as yet not an accepted ambassador. Not that one would expect problems there, unless her Microsoft past catches up with her :p

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People swear at a Surface not on on Surface.*

*Some might be swearing at the Surface after smashing it with their feet.

11. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Joke

There's plenty of jokes in here somewheres

The Opera ain't over until the Microsoftie swears at Amazon, etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like