back to article My my, Intel, that's one speedy NVMe flash card you have there

Intel has produced three blazing fast PCIe flash cards using NVMe – and that should upset the PCIe flash applecart nicely. Intel DC P3700 Intel DC P3700 NVMe is a standard way of accessing non-volatile memory, meaning host operating systems need only have a single standard driver instead of specific drivers for each …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. karlp

I just took out a rack last year.....

There was 5 shelfs of disk, plus controller, FC switch, etc. Over 30U, 2008 acquisition cost of 100K$+.

It was part of a database backend. It is/was replaced by a 2000$ Card, in a 10K$ server.

The storage racket must be a frightful place these days.

Karl P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shut up take my money!

if I just had some...

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Shut up take my money!

That's how I feel about it. A two terabyte insanely fast PCI Express SSD by Intel? So it'll be reliable, too.

I know what's on my wish list.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Shut up take my money!

The 1.2TB Micron p420m is pretty much the most amazing thing that's ever entered my lab. There are not enough nice things to say about proper enterprise flash.

3. Matt_payne666

How do these things fail? Backups are all good and that, but a bit of warning would be nice before total meltdown...

PCI-e, I guess 2 in software mirroring is the cheapest way to get some resilience with 1TB

The price is bothersome... its in the 'only just out of reach level'.......

1. Zacherynuk

Indeed. I have yet to have a successful SSD data recovery.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Indeed. I have yet to have a successful SSD data recovery.

So put some on a spinning disk to give it a more predictable ahem, life-span.

Mine's the one with the battery-backed RAM.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

They fail to "read-only" mode. When the write limit's up, then you can still read your data off.

1. Horridbloke

Re: They fail to "read-only" mode.

... except when they don't.

I had a Samsung 840 pro fail utterly and without warning on me three months after purchase. Nothing I tried it with even recognised there was a storage device there.

(I was pleasantly surprised when the backup successfully restored and the replacement has been good so far.)

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: They fail to "read-only" mode.

Consumer SSDs don't fail to read-only mode. Enterprise ones generally do. Micron Enterprise ones absolutely do.

4. DainB Bronze badge

Outage to replace

And the worst thing of having SSD on PCIe is that you need full outage of whole box to replace it. Not that much fun if you have 8 of them of busy server.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Outage to replace

PCIe is supposed to be capable of supporting hot-plugging. I'd be pretty nervous jamming $1000 of card into a running server though.

1. DainB Bronze badge

Re: Outage to replace

Oh, I have 3.2 TB of flash on 4 PCI cards here, 48TB total per system, yeah, it totally kick ass but also costs mindblowing money. You can't really replace anything live, don't even think about it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like