back to article Remember Anna Kournikova? Come with us on a tour of bug-squishing history

Brain. No, it’s not some Skynet AI drone, nor is it the blob that was always out to get the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. It is the name of the first PC virus, dating back to 1986. The two Pakistani brothers, Basit and Amjad Farooq Alvi, who wrote it did not have malicious intentions: they simply wanted to scare people running …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B

Oh, yes!

I remember Anna Kournikova.

1. frank ly

Re: Oh, yes!

And thanks to Google Images, you can refesh your hard disk with happy memories.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, yes!

She still looks like Melvyn Douglas to me. From the neck up, that is.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dammit

I clicked on the title just on the off-chance those pics promised in an email I got had been found!

3. Crazy Operations Guy

"Epic"

Can we please stop using this word? The word has lost all meaning at this point by its overuse by the younger, unprofessional crowd. It breaks my heart when a professional journalist uses it and ends up sounding like some teenager that plays World of Warcraft all day...

1. Lionel Baden

Re: "Epic"

I dunno man that a pretty epic claim to claim that epic is epically overused !

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Awesome comment!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you remember the original Anna phishing email, I think he must mean "e-pic"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's tough to get serious about security when one director uses the names of her children as passwords, the chairman uses his home address (also used as password for the company credit cards!) and a senior programmer uses his favourite football team. Cloud CRM and accounts solutions are used without asking the IT dept for an opinion, let alone a security audit, and they use the same terrible passwords as usual.

It's only a matter of time before the whole lot is posted on pastebin and I'm fed up trying to tell them how to improve so now I'm looking forward to saying I informed them thusly.

5. Peter Gordon

"Something wonderful has happened!

Your Amiga is alive!"

Those were the days ;-)

6. davidp231

The name of the blob..

Is Krang, as I remember correctly. :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't the ARF-ARF (Abort Retry Fail) the first pc trojan 1983... 3 years earlier...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like