back to article Lupita Nyong'o, Game of Thrones' Brienne join Star Wars cast

Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong’o and Game of Thrones fan favourite Gwendoline Christie have joined the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII in as-yet-unknown roles. Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie Nyong’o, who shot to fame after her star-making turn in 12 Years A Slave and Christie, who plays Brienne of Tarth in GoT, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Semtex451

Just as long as no one is playing JarJar

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

It's worse than that. In this story, after the Empire fell, the subsequent Rebel government collapsed into infighting. With only one Jedi on hand, there was only one force unified enough to bring peace and order to the galaxy. Thus the Ewoks have taken over, and are now running everything. They've used their power in government to make sure that 80% of all newly trained Jedi are Ewoks - and are thus inescapable.

After all, if Abrams gave us tribbles in the new Star Trek, what's to stop him going all cute and Ewok-tabulous in Star Wars?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And Justin Bieber as Jar-Jar....

Why yousa dun likey the jar jar? Mesa nice nicey !

1. Arctic fox
        Mushroom

"Why yousa dun likey the jar jar?"

Stop that. Stop that at once. Or I may just take off and nuke El Reg from orbit and take the rest of you with me. Mwaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

3. Euripides Pants
      Coat

Re: Just as long as no one is playing JarJar

JarJar joins the Space Marines and becomes a JarJarHeadHead.....

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm fine with Jar-Jar being in the movie, as long as he is the groom at a Game of Thrones-style wedding!!

"Jar-Jar, your wedding to Princess Unfortunata will seal our control of this planet. Here, have a nice goblet of wine..."

1. graham_

Is there a wedding in Game of Thrones?

I shall look forward to watching the lovely couple enjoy their day!

2. TRT Silver badge

I'm glad...

they are using more traditional model making in this series. Much as this is a tech forum... I'm kind of old fashioned. Computer controlled motion cameras and models - that's a tech I can understand and appreciate.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: I'm glad...

Hopefully soon SpaceX will make things so cheap, that a $300m film can afford to use real spaceships...

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

but in space, no one can hear you go "pew! pew!"

2. Neil B

@TRT I think you're reading way too much into very little actual commentary from the film-makers.

In any case, the prequels weren't failures because they over-used CGI. That's a straw-man. They failed because the story and dialogue were, for the most part, dreadful.

1. TRT Silver badge

... the prequels weren't failures because they over-used CGI.

Did I say any of that? Did the article? Who said that? Were they failures? I know they were a bit ropey... I mean a five year old wants to run around going "pew pew!" with a toy spaceship and blowing up the bad guys not get into the mechanics of democratic republican verses imperial versus plutocratic governance. Hm. I certainly don't have a good feeling about this yet. Though Lupita Nyong'o... mmmmm!

1. Fatman

Though Lupita Nyong'o... mmmmm!

Control yourself there!!!!

</snark>

2. Arctic fox
        Thumb Up

@Neil B.

"They failed because the story and dialogue were, for the most part, dreadful."

Dead right Neil B - see icon.*

*I should say here that my lady and I are major league devotees of the original trilogy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

Re: @Neil B.

You got that right! I'm still traumatized by such second-trilogy groaners as "I'm haunted by the kiss you never should have gave me."

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. P. Lee
    Alert

Uh-oh

The first trilogy used unknown actors and could hold its own based on the story.

Do they need to rely on "star-appeal" for this trilogy?

5. TRT Silver badge

Original actors...

C3P0: R2? R2? Is that you?

R2D2: Beep de boop boop.

C3P0: Same as when I last saw you 30 years ago. You haven't changed a bit!

This topic is closed for new posts.