back to article Kickstarter cup-rattling, light-dimming Internet of Stuff upstart takes on Sonos, Bose

Kickstarter-funded Musaic hopes to outsmart Sonos and beat Bose with speakers that play higher fidelity music across normal Wi-Fi, support Bluetooth and integrate with home automation lighting and security products. Wi-Fi is becoming the smart home network. Sonos, the streaming speaker king, takes advantage of that but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Candy
    Paris Hilton

NSFW

Please ask Mrs Detail to leave his "below" alone...

2. 's water music

I also don't have a music streaming product on the market

so we have that in common at least.

3. petur

Squeezebox

When Logitech killed the marvelous Squeezebox, I did a 'last buy', so I recon I'm good for quite some time. Logitech should never have stopped this, Sonos proves there is a market for it.

4. Frankee Llonnygog

Send 24-bit studio master to

a glorified ghetto-blaster. They promise a player to suit every room. In reality that's a choice of two boxes with the diddy speakers either 12 or 14 inches apart.

I second petur in mourning the Squeezebox. I'll need one of those when I buy a pair of Volti Vittoras with my lottery winnings ...

1. Immenseness

Re: Send 24-bit studio master to

How long before some snake oil salesman markets a system which "maintains width, speed, flavour, airiness and general bumfluff" through sending left and right channels through complete seperate wifi links on different frequencies with gold plated oxygen free antennas? I can't wait.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Send 24-bit studio master to

I'd like to persuade 'high-end' aficionados that their gear will work best in a completely oxygen-free environment

5. Irongut

Nice tech, shame about the audio

Tiny speakers at too low power.

I'm supposed to replace my nice 100W RMS speakers with this tinny little thing? Wake me up when someone produces something similar that doesn't include crap built in speakers and lets me use my own.

1. Beaufin

Re: Nice tech, shame about the audio

You can get a Sonos box to drive your own speakers directly and another

which will feed into your own amp.

I have the latter feeding into the aux input of my Yamaha digital piano.

Also some play 3 speakers in another room.

Maybe not hifi but easily good enough sound for my needs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice tech, shame about the audio

Hi Irongut, and you know this having tested and reviewed the equipment, or is this just an ill-informed opinion based upon the contents of your head?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the obsession with WiFi

Surely powerline adapters with built in audio decoders and a decent spec power amp would be a much better proposition - hook up your own speakers, minimize interference (especially when living in blocks of flats where the wifi contention is terrible). A simple bridge/codec that can take multiple inputs with a simple web interface optimized for small devices and you've got the possibility of truly distributed audio wherever there's a power socket. Can't be too much to ask..... (no more surround sound speaker cable hell)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the obsession with WiFi

Most people don't want to run cables. Powerline creates interferance.

The Musaic kit has an ethernet connection anyway, so use what you prefer.

7. Neoc

One wonders why El Reg is telling us *now* about a kickstarter that ended over a month ago...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like