back to article New development in 'stadium-sized' FLYING SAUCER orb invasion

NASA has clarified the exact size of the mighty helium balloon that will later today lift its Low Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) over the Pacific Ocean. As we reported yesterday, the agency vaguely described the whopping 963,000 cubic metre orb as so big you could "fit a professional football stadium inside it". The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Go

Hope it all...

goes well for them, and nothing nasty happens.

Must ask the question as well, could the long nozzle motor be retro-fitted to LOHAN? Should get things moving :D

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Hope it all...

Might prove a tad too powerful for our Vulture 2, not to mention the plucky Playmonaut.

1. DropBear
        Joke

Well how else do you plan to land Vulture 3 on the Moon...?

Re: Re: Hope it all...

Well, yes, a very fair point.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
            Happy

Lester,

Are you suffereing from 'rocket-envy'? Or even 'balloon-envy', given that you could launch something truly huge with one of those.

I've been trying my best to come up with a backronym for stratospheric hypersonic inflatable braking apparatus which relates to Bulgarian airbags in some way, but my brain has failed me. Such that I feel a complete tit...

The condition you refer to is "orb envy", but I've got enough on the go at the moment to be worried about the size of other people's globes.

Given enough wonga, anything can be got in the air. I refer you to Baumgartner.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge

"orb envy" ? What's the Navajo word for that?

Well, in Arapaho we could say "Niinoxoxhun, heebe3kokoh'owoo" = "I envy you, big ball"

2. BlueGreen

Actually, maybe not *land* on the moon... perhaps something better.

What I'd kill to see is a very, very low slingshot round the moon, just scraping the peaks, all on camera. A slow drop towards the edges of the moon, picking up speed slowly then increasing (apparent) acceleration until it's a blur below you for a few minutes, then a slowing and drifting away from the ground until you're dropping away from the moon again.

*That* would be cool. So, howsabout this time next year?

(failing that, a virtual ride would be a good substitute and maybe a bit more doable)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jupiter 2

Anyone remember Lost in Space and its splendid ship the Jupiter 2? Looks a lot like that, though I seem to think it was deuterium fuelled. Let's hope Dr Smith isn't on board

1. Julz

Re: Jupiter 2

Me thinks more like 2010 Odyssey Two aero breaking

3. 's water music
    Joke

Does anyone a phone number for NASA?

TELL THEM TO CHECK THE FUSES!

4. imanidiot Silver badge

flight cancelled

Cancelled for today due to weather unfortunately.

Re: flight cancelled

Yup, and just when me and the Playmonaut have a few beers on chill in readiness.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Pirate

Just out of interest, have the told the playmonaut (Colin?) about his brother's untimely watery demise.

Perhaps it's better if he doesn't know...

1. Kharkov
          Childcatcher

Now, now, let's not be cruel. His brother ISN'T dead, no, not at all.

He's just living on the playmonaut farm, where he can run and play and ride rockets to his heart's content. Shame that Colin can't visit of course, but maybe he can join him there, one day. One day...

Always be kind to your playmonauts, folks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like