back to article New iOS 8 SDK: Come in, apps. Get cozy, sip wine, swap numbers

For its latest software development kit (SDK) for the forthcoming iOS 8, Apple has adjusted the platform's sandbox security model to allow apps to provide services to other apps running on the same device for the first time. "This release is the biggest release since the launch of the App Store," Apple CEO Tim Cook said during …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SWYPE

Has already announced they'll be porting their keyboard to iOS.

Between that and larger models, it would answer the objections of some of those who choose Android over iOS for non-religious reasons.

1. ACZ

Re: SWYPE

Yep... that and SwiftKey are going to be fantastic enhancements for iOS

1. Slap

Uh, swiftkey - I've tried using it, but it seems that it can't handle multiple languages properly. I've just typed this in swiftkey and while my keyboard is set to English it insists upon correcting in German. Likewise when writing in German with the Swiss German keyboard activated it often provides corrections in English.

These developers should bloody well get the idea that not all of us are language locked.

2. ThomH

I'm pretty sure the Swype-style keyboard shown in the app was Swype branded.

Also don't hold your breath for answering objections; even putting the crazies aside, once someone is invested in a particular platform they can usually find reasons not to switch even if they're doing so only quietly and for their own benefit, and not to win arguments against internet twelve-year olds.

2. grammarpolice

All new technology

I seem to remember there might have been something like this before. Wasn't it called COM?

1. Mike Bell

Re: All new technology

Hardly. COM was the spawn of the Devil.

2. ThomH

Re: All new technology

No; COM was as much about the ABI and the incredibly painful way it interacted with every then-current language as it was about the OLE and DDE stuff.

3. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    WTF?

Bing translation???

That really makes me want to use it then *NOT*

4. DaLo

Android Intents?

Surely this is just what Android Intents do (although a bit more limiting) and has allowed since the beginning.

All Android Apps can publish certain intents and this allows any mapping application to service any location request or allow an app to use another app to process its data.

1. Joe 35

Re: Android Intents?

Maybe it is. And if its a good idea, which it seems to be, there's no reason that Apple shouldn't also do it.

Apple dont have a monopoly on good ideas, it seems with this release they've realized that and are taking some good stuff from other sources, for example the spellchecker with multiple suggestions, the like of which is on my wife's Sammy and is much better than Apple's fascistic one.

5. ukgnome

Leaky sandbox - egg timer of doom?

If you let apps out of the sandbox, even innocent apps like swype then how long before you introduce vulnerability?

6. csumpi
    Paris Hilton

Filesystem access?

OK, so now they added content providers, that android had since its early days.

How about file system access? Maybe another 5 years?

1. jai

Re: Filesystem access?

would that be the iCloud Disk that they also announced yesterday?

7. Disgruntled of TW
    WTF?

More than 15 API calls developed each day ...

... tested and bug free, since the release date of iOS7. So that's going to be well engineered code then.

My next phone will be Android. Just because.

8. SuperNintendoChalmers

Possibly just stopped a tablet defection

I've been considering ditching my IPad for an Android tablet since I started using LastPass, the integration it has with Android on my Nexus5 is fantastic and makes it really easy to finally keep good (better) password security. Having to switch apps and copy and paste the passwords on the IPad is a drag.

If Swype or similar are going to produce something for the iPad I can use rather than that god awful keyboard then that'll be a big improvement. It's not enough to keep me, but if LastPass can use these new API to provide the same kind of autof-ill they have on Android then that would probably be enough to stop me jumping ship. At least for now.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to 2009

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-1.5-highlights.html

Release Date: April 2009

New Features

On-screen soft keyboard

Home screen Widgets

Live folders

Intents arrived in Android 1.0, Release Date: September 2008

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: Welcome to 2009

Erm, all of that stuff existed in other places *before* Android was even bought by Google.

Are we to live in a world where an advancement from one company cannot be added to anyone else's products?

Good luck getting that idea to fly, because you can't put any wings on it as they've been used by someone else.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like