back to article Global mobile roaming network a HOTBED of vulnerabilities

Security experts for Dutch telco KPN have swung the baseball bat at telcos, with research suggesting mobile roaming networks are so insecure you'd hardly need the NSA to break in and start capturing user traffic. They find the GRX – GPRS Roaming Exchange – network, which links the roaming traffic of 25 carriers worldwide, has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Novex

Shouldn't that last line read 'The irresponsible operators have been notified, the researchers say.'?

So is this yet another case of nobody wanting to bother with checking out the security of their systems, and just throwing something into existence because they can? I wonder just how many more of these really piss poor implementations (of either hardware or software) we're going to read about in the next few years...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Maintenance costs money

That's if they can even do it without outside help. Outside help costs money too...

1. Guus Leeuw

Re: Maintenance costs money

Dear sir,

And there you have it.

Working in outsourced IT environments, I often hear Service Managers say that such-and-such infrastructure improvement cannot be done, as it is not paid for under the contract. Even if it is very clear that systems are unnecessarily vulnerable.

The customers don't want the additional cost, and the service provider isn't gonna pay for it out of their own pockets...

The sad story that is outsourced IT... (And I'm not talking about offshoring! I'm talking about outsourcing!!)

Regards,

Guus

3. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like