back to article YOSEMITE GLAM: Apple unveils gussied up OS X

Mac owners will soon be getting an update for OS X that will bring a new interface and further integration with iOS devices. Apple SVP for software engineering Craig Federighi said at the company's annual World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco on Monday that the new release, dubbed OS X Yosemite, would be out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Knox
    Terminator

RotM?

"When you are working on your Mac, your de[v]ices around you in proximity are aware of each other and aware what you are up to."

So is Apple taking development cues from Google now?

1. LarsG

Devices are aware of what you are doing?

Sounds like an NSA backdoor

2. Tom 35

So is Apple taking development cues from Google now?

"Safari with a streamlined interface and new Spotlight search options..."

Sounds like a yes to me.

1. Mike Bell

Re: So is Apple taking development cues from Google now?

It might sound like a yes, but it looks like a no.

Best graphic of the presentation: Android dominating the mobile malware market to the virtual exclusion of all others.

Haters gotta hate.

3. ACcc

Re: RotM?

aware what you are up to

User is watching Pron on iPad - iPhone automatically sets itself to Do Not Disturb - Macbook pro holds all notifications until user has passed the vinegar strokes; also initiates Skype call to iCloud so Apple has an idea of you particular fetish and likely require length of video so it can target future searches towards 'Goat' and 'less than a minute' to help you later on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

... and in the process, also frees Apple from pesky warranty issues (few users will want to explain what tripped the humifity sensor in their devices)...

2. bitwise

Vinegar ?

1. nanchatte

whoosh... that was the sound of a mildly salty substance flying over your head.

3. nick soph

I think I see an Apple patent coming up.

4. K
      Facepalm

Just for Men?

A stupid of observation, but Craig Federighi looks like the guy from the Just for Men ad's ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sync?

If you are going to do a sync, do it so I can do all my devices regardless of OS. Apple > Android > Linux > Windows whatever. Trying to lock me into just iCrap does nothing for me.

1. jai

Re: Sync?

If you're a multiplatform user, you're not their target demographic. Also, you're post on El Reg, whom Apple ignore, so they're blissfully unaware of your objection.

For those of us who drink heartily from the Kool Aid and only use iStuff, this is a great update. I just wish the dev site was up so I could download the betas already.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"For those of us who drink heartily from the Kool Aid" - More dire need of a blowjob than any other man in history

1. JDX Gold badge

Yeah, because Linux users get loads more action than trendy hipsters. That's why they spend all their time in their bedroom with the curtains drawn - all the sex they're having.

1. Tom 38
            Linux

Pfft, this isn't the 90s, the Linux users are the trendy hipsters.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

But surely all you need to have sex is your mind and your hand. It's when real people get involved that things go wrong. So I'm told.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@JDX

"Yeah, because Linux users get loads more action than trendy hipsters. That's why they spend all their time in their bedroom with the curtains drawn - all the sex they're having."

I get loads of sex. Roughly about 4 times a week, and I'm a Linux user - Debian if it makes a difference.

Hipsters don't do sex, because it's popular and everyone does it. Except for people flicking a bean counter on their iDevice, like Hipsters.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Loads? 4 times a week?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Given the average is about 1 to 2 times a week, 4 times would be loads, yes.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

I think your average refers to sex with more than one participant - not sure if that applies to Linuxters.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

If you have rough sex 4 times a week, how many times for other types?

2. Tommy Pock

"More dire need of a blowjob than any other man in history"

I bet he isn't :(

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For those of us who drink heartily from the Kool Aid and only use iStuff

Speak for yourself. The whole cult thing puts me off, but Apple gear is simply better long term value for money. Easy to secure and keep it that way, high levels of usability speed up work (the thing that "other company" has been promising for 30 years and stopped delivering around, well, Windows XP and Office 2003 I think), well designed hardware (in my own experience), better value software and a Unix foundation underneath. Yes, it's sold at a premium, so is anything of a decent quality.

Screw the whole Kool Aid and cult thing, just do the numbers. And don't buy at launch - give it 6 months (an approach that works for any platform, btw). That way, you end up with a debugged platform and don't have to queue for anything either. Unless you like that, of course, but it's just good kit, not a friggin' membership.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Speak for yourself.

Good to hear I'm not alone. Bought my first Mac for my dad back in 2003, then a year later for myself, no real need for a computer at home at the time (all RISC/unix at work designing ICs so definitely no need for windows crap at home) but just bought one to tell Apple I was happy someone turned the elegant combination of PowerPC and BSD Unix/NeXTStep into a viable consumer product. (Always had a feeling they were going to do something significant with the software platform and what do you know...)

So +1 for hating the hipsterisque cult, another +1 for just appreciating the nice foundations.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: iCrap does nothing for me.

Apple's clearly missing a trick by not catering to the whims of Apple-haters

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you are going to do a sync, do it so I can do all my devices regardless of OS

Have you ever used Apple gear? It supports every standard so you can do this already. I use IMAP, SMTP, caldav and carddav, and if you use MS software you can sync with Exchange too. The only thing that needs fixing is webdav, because a webdav mounted drive in OSX is just painfully slow.

No idea what they did there, but that certainly needs fixing.

3. ratfox

Interested by iCloud Drive

If it works just like Dropbox, I could see it take off. The only unfortunate thing is that you won't be able to share it with a non-Apple person.

1. SuccessCase

Re: Interested by iCloud Drive

Works across OSX and Windows. Not Linux though.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The only unfortunate thing is that you won't be able to share it with a non-Apple person

Maybe if we have a word with the NSA? They might as well do something useful for a change with all that access to any data held on US soil..

4. Matt_payne666

icloud?have you seen the cost of storage? last time looked, it maxxed out at about 50GB and was nearly 3 times more expensive than onedrive (which has been fully integrated in an OS for some time)

1. jai

you might want to look again, from a slide in yesterday's presentation:

- First 5GB free

- 20GB for $0.99 per month

- 200GB for $3.99 per month

- Tiers available up to 1TB

so the 200GB tier works out at half the price of the OneDrive's current plan ($100 per year).

1. Matt_payne666

I take it back! that is some surprisingly aggressive pricing...

4. Daniel B.

Gaaah!

So it's true? They're slamming that awful flat Dock on the new OSX? Damn, and now that I'm barely warming up to upgrade to Mavericks! Wondering if they're taking Microsoft's cue on making the UI step backwards (Start Screen reminded me of the god-awful Program Manager from Win3.x when I first saw it)

5. mafoo
    Joke

i can die happy

screw everything else, I CAN FINALLY HAVE A BLACK MENU BAR!

{weeps tears of joy}

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Improved battery life and the ability to clip my windows to each side of the screen would have been nice, developers love those two things!

I'm actually devving more on my Macbook these days, so those two things would have really helped.

1. JDX Gold badge

Maybe you should plug it in. Although the newer MacBooks use Haswell which does give you better battery life, so wish sort of granted!

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

the ability to clip my windows to each side of the screen

Maybe try Popup Window from CatalysTwo? It's a bit fickle (works really on about the last screen pixel of the edge) but once you have it set up it's very helpful IMHO.

3. nanchatte

Try a bit of software called "cinch". It can snaps a window to the left half, right half or full screen. I install it even before dropbox on every mac I have.

...teamed with "size up" which can hot key windows to screen slices/quadrants

...or with "divvy" which can define a custom grid and hot keys for custom window layouts

and you have a great dev machine for mouseless navigation.

7. Zot

At what point will they...

...just prevent developers from installing software on OSX, and everything, I mean EVERYTHING will have to be pushed through the 'App' store?

Kerr-fucking-ching go the tills at Apple. That is, until the developers turn away.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: At what point will they...

Most developers working on Apple are developing for iOS so they'll make a business decision whether to suck it up or not.

2. HollyHopDrive

@zot - there is a reason apple will never do that......the open source crowd.

Techies love macs. And when techies love shit you can bet your shirt that they will try like fuck to get that kit into their workplace. Noticed how many enterprises have macs and ipads these days?

While they may at some point make it more difficult (setting hidden away in the control centre somewhere) they are never going to stop it. The second you can't get your favourite open source tool because you can't get it from the store yet is the second the techs will turn. (and my god are we a fickle group) and look elsewhere. And apple are way too smart for that! That said, I think a lot more distribution will come via their app store. Don't get me wrong 30% of your price seems a high price to pay..but in reality they'd normally be giving 30-40% discount on RRP anyway otherwise retailers like amazon etc wouldn't be able to sell at a discount. What it actually means is you will no longer be able to buy at a discount and will always pay RRP. (except when they run an offer on the store)

So, in some ways your are right, the store is coming and it may be your only route for commercial software but they will never lock the door completely that would be [potentially] suicide.

Oh, and don't think apple are alone in this strategy - I'm sure Microshite are planning the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Techies love macs

People who know how to calculate lifetime costs of kit love them too. That's why they start showing up in private banks.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: At what point will they...@AC

"People who know how to calculate lifetime costs of kit love them too."

Care to elaborate?

The kit is great, too bad that OS isn't supported for very long. For Long Term Support you'd actually have to install Windows or Linux on the damn thing!

1. stu 4

@Sandtitz Re: At what point will they...@AC

Hmm.. ok support typically last for 3-4 years with 10.x

On the other hand - upgrades are free.

It's a different business model, but one that makes far more sense imho.

On the other hand, microshaft have finally stopped trying to support XP, possibly installed on clockwork AMD200s from 2001.

If your hardware is up to it (and we've only had one breaking change under Intel for OSX (64bit), then you upgrade for free, and support continues.

I have a mac mini I bought in 2007. If I'd bought a PC, it would have been running vista (yuk).

It now runs Maverick. all upgraded for free.

My PC, would still be running Vista (and merrily still be being 'supported' by microshaft).

I prefer Apple's business model thanks very much.

2. DiViDeD

"Techies love Macs"

Do tell, I've not met a techie who loves em. Met plenty of Nathan Barleys who thin they're the best thing since retro 70s disco though.

"Noticed how many enterprises have macs and ipads these days?"

Well, no. Let's see, last few contracts:

Komatsu - Windows PCs, scary bright coloured Japanes flip phones

CitiBank - Windows PCs, Crackberries, transitioning to WinPhone and Surface

Access Industries - Windows PCs, BYOD

RailCorp - Windows PCs, Crackberries. One bloke with a ponytail who used to bring his MacBook Air into meetings and stare at it.

World Nomads - Windows PCs, BYOD and one of the web designers had an iPad he used to play a sort of marble tilt game on at luchtime.

Hmmmm. I must be working for the wrong sort of enterprise. Or just possibly you might have overstated the actuality, as it were? maybe just a smidgeon?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pleased to meet you. I'm a techie. I use OSX (love the BSD, mac ports, xcode etc.). I have to tolerate windows 7, Linux and Solaris too though. Funny, a techie in front of me has got his MBA on his desk. Chap a couple of desks behind me too. This is a large bank. It even includes OSX support for the many who like it and use it. So did my last one.

Of course, small players like Google do n't. I suppose all those places doing lightweight things with graphics and web design just stick Apple logos on their PCs and Linux boxes for fun.

Perhaps you just do not know any "techies". Perhaps you do not work.

1. DiViDeD

I'm sorry, but graphic/web designers are not 'techies' because they use Macs, any more than an accountant is a 'techie' because s/he uses Excel to calculate accruals.

Techies are the people who make the web designers' designs actually WORK, who build AND MAINTAIN THE . Web designers say 'I want this to change colour and zoom in when the mouse rolls over it', the 'techie' makes it happen.

I have worked in plenty of places where the design teams, graphics teams and design managers used Apple flavoured technology, but they were simply using them as sophisticated versions of coloured pencils and crayons. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to create the graphics they did, but the point is, they could produce design ideas with a biro and a paper napkin. Try building a customer database using just a sheet of A4 and a blue crayon.

Let the downvotes commence. Oh, and I DO work, have worked as a contractor for some 30+ years, and have yet to see any evidence that there is any market competition between Aoole and (let's face it) Microsoft on the development office desk.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Do tell, I've not met a techie who loves em.

LOL, you should have been horrified at the last Web Summit in Dublin then. That was an entire conference centre full of MacBooks, I recall seeing maybe 4 non-Apple laptops on the whole show.

Do the numbers yourself - nobody is asking you to do otherwise. Buy a Macbook, develop the loadset for your company, give yourself a month of getting used to the UI to study usability. Oh, and make sure you can keep the device afterwards, because I suspect the same will happen to you as it did to us - instead of just being a research box, it became the preferred working tool. That wasn't the original plan, but we had at least the flexibility to benefit from that discovery. The numbers helped to convince management, and off we were (note: our automation mainly lives on Linux, so we had no real desktop dependencies other than Outlook - which we have since abandoned too).

If it doesn't work for you, fine. At least you then have your own facts to back that up, not third party opinions and assumptions.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Noticed how many enterprises have macs and ipads these days?"

Work for one of the BIG outsourcing companies in UK and the only Mac's we have are BYOD and not supported by the business.

Will never get better, it's a home PC.

1. HollyHopDrive

@ac well of course an outsourcing company isn't going to have any. They are trying to do everything at a rock bottom price. Remember, outsourcing is done for cost not quality reasons. Don't even get me started on that one!

And apple don't do low price. You aren't their customer.

8. Alan Denman

'believe you should use the right device at all times'

= "............a right expensive device.............."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'believe you should use the right device at all times'

Yawn, nnother one regurgitating 3rd party opinions. Try to do your own TCO calcs, you'll be surprised.

9. Mitoo Bobsworth

10.8.5 will do me for now, still.

I guess the syncing feature will be useful if they implement it well (track record slightly dodgy, historically)

Streamlined Safari & Spotlight? Meh. Chromium is my choice, it's the quickest & least irritating to use for me, and spotlight is fine for indexing, but for actual searches Find Any File is much more friendly.

UI updates - fine I guess. iCloudiness? Thank you, No.

I'll be sticking with Snow Pussy for now, mostly because I have a stable system for my audio work (Mbox 2, Protools, Reason) & I can run iTunes 10.7 which, for me, is vastly less frustrating to use than the abortion that has become 11.2.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AbelSoul

Re: 10.8.5 will do me for now, still.

I'll be sticking with Snow Pussy for now, mostly because I have a stable system for my audio work

I'm stuck on Lion on my internal drive for the same reason (works with the 32 bit drivers for my Yamaha mixer) but have Mavericks on an external HD which I can boot into when I want to use Xcode.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More sharing - no thanks.

I find it intriguing how US based companies keep trying to force us down the sharing route.

OSX 10.10 as well as iOS 8 contain more of those infestations of sharing n various guises, lots of stuff you'll have to kill before you can use it with anything remotely confidential. I can understand this from Google, but Apple has little excuse to behave as if the NSA and other US data leeches don't exist.

On the plus side, it's at least still optional I wonder where they have stuck the marketing ID this time.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

are you watching this microsoft?

This is how to integrate a desktop and mobile OS - make them work together really well, don't try and force the same UI on people and think that will work.

Imagine if Windows 8 (with a win 7 gui) integrated really well with WinPho - it would give people a compelling reason for buying WinPho not iPhone or Android. As it is WinPho is a nice phone OS but the windows desktop and metro management software is horrible.

Then make Metro apps run on Windows 7 and 8, via an emulator if necessary. Devs would flock to it as one app would run on everything.

Funny how Microsoft took Aero out of Win 8 and now apple are really embracing it.

Well done Sinofsky! (my tongue is in my cheek just incase you're too dumb to tell).

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: are you watching this microsoft?

Just hold on until Window-9. It will even cure Cancer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: are you watching this microsoft?

Yes, if it wasn't for the fact that they have been running that "next vesion will be bette scam" since MSDOS 3.20. Even on the golf course there is now an awareness that that remains an empty promise. They really broke that myth with Windows Vista and the ribbon, and it doesn't look like they can claim that one back. Thank God for inertia sales..

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can make/receive real phone calls seamlessly from my mac? Absolutely, 100% sold. No more quickly switching headsets round for calls. Joy of joys. Goodbye, Note 2, you served me well.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

You mean your headset isn't multipoint capable?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think he means his Mac can now place an outgoing call. I have to see how this works - I'm OK with initiating a call from a desktop (provided nobody else can, for obvious reasons), but I'd still like it to be on my phone, not on a Mac turned speakerphone..

13. Mage Silver badge

Explain?

"with more of an emphasis on desktop backgrounds."

Why do I want the background?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Explain?

Why do I want the background?

It makes the foreground stand out?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Explain?

So basically Apple will soon be marketing the Mac as a fancy electronic picture frame? Gradmums will love that...

I agree, that was a strange statement from Apple...

14. Steven Raith

Question is...

Will they fix the 'wifi doesn't reconnect from standby' bug that's been plaguing users (and me) since 10.9.2?

Bloody hope so, I've had to revert to a wired connection to actually have connectivity while I turn the wifi off and on three times before it reconnects...

Anyway, I'm not seeing anything terribly relevant to me - I have a Macbook, android phone, linux workstation - so I lot of the iOS integration, autohotspot, etc stuff isn't much use.

I have no problem with more efficient power use, etc. That, and finally some fucking first party UI customisation, jesus, how long did that take? Looks a bit like a cross between aero and Ubuntu Ambience theme, and I'll be honest looks pretty nice.

I think I'll avoid the public beta but providing compatability is still there for my 2008 Macbook, I'll probably take the plunge come release day. Gotta support this to an extent at work, so might as well roll with the changes...

Steven R

PS: Apologies if this is (more) rambling (than usual), I fixed my coffee machine today and I think I've overdone it....

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Question is...

I'm with you in the heterogenous hardware environment: most of this release produces "meh" at most.

But I don't mind yearly updates for the OS as long as these aren't used to arbitrarily exclude older hardware or APIgasms don't break lots of software. Version updates are one of the best ways of making sure everyone installs the security patches.

We'll probably need to wait to find out more about what's going on under the hood (support for MacOS on ARM or similar) but some of the stuff looked to me like intelligent use of the underlying OpenDoc/Taligent stuff in the OS that has been so underused in MacOS.

Also, Federighi is quite a good presenter / salesman. That might become increasingly important if Cook's performance on stage doesn't improve.

See what the summer brings. I won't be installing this on release day: will wait at least until MacPorts has binaries for most of my packages.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Question is...

APIgasms don't break lots of software.

i put the beta on my macbook air last night. probably a daft move, as i use the laptop for dialing into work via Citrix, which requires Java launched via a weblink, so wasn't expecting it to work - but it did. However, 1Password app refused to launch. Almost started to regret installing Yosemite as if 1Password doesn't work then i'm looking at the next few months of having to look up every password on the phone and manually type in the long complex random passwords that i've switched everything over to in the past year. rebooted a couple of times, still not working.

But this morning, suddenly everything is working normally. Can't find anything yet that doesn't work as it did under Mavericks.

Considering it is beta release 1, i'm quite impressed.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"with more of an emphasis on desktop backgrounds"

Minion: Hi boss, here's the dataset you requested. I had to join the tables from the old legacy system with the current one but these should be good

Boss: Your wallpaper! It sucks! Consider this a verbal warning and improve your wallpaper now.

16. The New Turtle

Please stop rearranging the deck chairs on your Titanic.

You're a hardware company, but you've painted your users into a corner with portable hardware that can't be upgraded. And re-hashing the pretty bits of your GUI to make it look more like a phone will only make for a worse computer, even if it fools the masses into thinking new=better. But by making your laptops non-upgradable you have shortened their effective working life, and that makes them bad value, rather than the fair value they used to be.

As for the earlier comment about syncing with everything, that would be great. I've just returned to Windows, not because I especially want to, but because equivalent hardware costs around 50% more and has that non-upgradability brick wall. It would have been nice to be able to sync everything across my Macbook, windows and linux workstation, but I guess that would make it too easy for people to leave.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Please stop rearranging the deck chairs on your Titanic.

You're a hardware company, but you've painted your users into a corner with portable hardware that can't be upgraded

OK, be honest. When have you EVER upgraded such a piece of kit? Most portable gear wears so fast that you welcome the hardware change (some users do take care, but I find them exception rather than rule). I actually prefer devices that don't offer an excuse to open them up..

As for sync, Windows doesn't support open standards as much as OSX does so I'm a bit lost what your point is. The only Olympic class cockup in that department was removing the "no cloud thingy needed" iTunes only sync, but they put that back too. During the time that was missing I had all devices sync via open source groupware and Exchange (just to try) with zero issues.

I honestly don't see the problem.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Downloaded and installed

Well, I thought I would do it... I have downloaded and installed 10.10 from the developers site and well, it 'looks' interesting (thats the only word I can say).

Immediate things I notice. New logon screen, new icons, new layout and design for mail.

One slightly annoying thing on this install / upgrade to 10.10 was that my MBair sounded like a jet engine taking off for the first 8 minutes of the installation. Other than that it went very smoothly.

Got iOS 8 whilst I was at it, that is less remarkable, a few weirdly interesting bugs (which is expected) but at least our in-house apps are working and not broken.

The only app that did not work was Little Snitch - that really doesn't like this new version.

Good luck to all the others in here that will be doing updates over the coming days, may the force be with you.

1. Slap

Re: Downloaded and installed

"One slightly annoying thing on this install / upgrade to 10.10 was that my MBair sounded like a jet engine taking off for the first 8 minutes of the installation. Other than that it went very smoothly."

Nothing to worry about - basically due to the speed of writing to your SSD the processor was able to run at full tilt doing various tasks such as decompressing stuff, managing the installation, and maybe doing a bit of compiling as well. Hence the fan was needed to do a bit of cooling work.

I generally experience this with most large installations on Mac laptops that last more than two or three minutes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like