back to article Apple's steamy OS XXX picture leak riddle: Blurry snaps deleted

Like death, taxes and other inevitabilities, it's time for Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference and the annual pre-event leak. This year, it's blurry photos of what's supposed to be the next OS X update, 10.10. Of course, we'll only know for sure the pictures – apparently "taken at Apple in California" – are the real deal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. deadlockvictim

Yosemite

Article»Partially redacted pictures of OS X 10.10, which we're calling OS XXX but Apple is calling Yosemite...

In that case, we can expect a bondi-blue and white colour scheme coupled with radically new technologies. Well that's what happened the last time they used the code name Yosemite. With any luck, they'll bring back ADB as well, although ADB may still be supported in OS X.

2. ThomH

Looks more like Windows 7 to me

... though the timing and quality of the photos implies fakes. I guess we won't have to wait long to see.

3. Robert Grant

I hope the other OSes follow suit

And offer a more "flat" style. Can't wait!

1. Roger B
      Meh

Re: I hope the other OSes follow suit

My sarcasm reading seems to be off, but "flat" like Windows is you mean?

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Oh bollocks

Stop the great flattening.

With Windows 8 and this we could all happily go back to VGA monitors and not tell the difference. Apart from visual cues that have served us very well for the past decade or so in previous UIs suddenly disappearing, of course.

1. depicus

Re: Oh bollocks

Sadly the trend is to flatten so our desktop OS looks like our mobile OS. I can understand the reason to flatten on mobile OS's - the requirement to save battery life seemingly overriding style - but not sure I like it.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I can understand the reason to flatten on mobile OS's - the requirement to save battery life seemingly overriding style

I'm not sure why you think the IOS 7 aesthetics does anything to improve battery life because it doesn't. It was a necessary move away from skeuomorphism + Sir Jony's need to mark his territory. If you hold a new I-Phone up to your nose you can still smell the piss! ;-)

1. ThomH

@Charlie Clark

If anything, it's a potential future battery life liability — the very white look obviates potential power savings from more intelligent backlighting or any self-emissive screen like an OLED, versus the much more black-oriented iOS 1–6 look.

(and never mind whatever the cost is of keeping the gyroscope going for the blink-and-you'll-miss-it parallax wallpaper)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. IGnatius T Foobar

Too much of a good thing. I'm glad that we've moved away from "photorealistic icons" -- that's just too much skeumorphism. But to flatten everything out to 2D? Now buttons don't look like buttons anymore, and the visual cues are all gone. We might as well go back to Athena Widgets.

2. Dieter Haussmann

"Sadly the trend is to flatten so our desktop OS "

Desktopa are deprecated. Shipments down 16% year on year. The future is mobile (including laptops) where battery life matters.

5. Semtex451
    Coat

Only 3.5 hours to go. YAAAAY ANI YAAAAAY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

YAAAAY ANI YAAAAAY

Upvoted because of this ^

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm having a Windows XP moment here..

Hmm. My problem with a 10.10 is that I only have 10.9 running for a few months and frankly, it's already more than I need.

The versions from 10.6 upwards have each been fairly good improvements, there was always something in the newer product that made it worth installing. However, I now find myself at the "meh" point where the pain may not be worth the trouble, little as it is (I honestly have never had a problem with an upgrade, probably because I never tempted fate by doing it without a recovery backup :) ).

Now, I already very much have a wait and see approach to new releases but in this case I may skip it altogether. 10.9 brought an annoying message centre and (worse) much more of the "let's share my life with all and sundry" crap that's made fashionable by setups that the NSA has outsourced its data grabbing to. No thanks, definitely don't need more of that..

1. ThomH

Re: I'm having a Windows XP moment here..

It's not really directly comparable though, assuming new versions of OS X continue to be free, as 10.9 was. In that case the market will move forward rapidly — most people don't jump to lingering fears about compatibility when shown something new and shiny — and the hassle will be staying with an old version as the APIs move on and developers lack an incentive to program down to older versions.

Assuming that's Apple's goal, uncontroversial updates are actually beneficial

2. Mondo the Magnificent

I believe it went backwards from 10.6.8, boot times have increased slightly and the time that 10.7x onwards takes to shut down has increased significantly, even with newer [Core i5] processors.

Apple are trying to woo new buyers with a revamped UI experience, but little things like the "Notification Centre" bug the shit out of me.

Perhaps Apple are following Microsoft's [Windows 8/8/1] lead trying to turn the Desktop UI into a phone-type look and feel.

That doesn't quite hack it for everyone, especially me as I prefer my Mac not to echo the IOS look and feel.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

10.6 (Snow Leopard) was a bit of a brown bag to be honest with the move to x86_64 pretty hamfisted. Some of the bugs have still not been properly ironed out: my system will pause for a couple of seconds every time Time Machine fires up the external (Firewire) drive. It never did that in Leopard. Lots of drivers were broken and some got broken in the series. Can't remember exactly when but Bluetooth audio got totally fucked and the only solution was to upgrade.

While I understand the basic rationale behind the release cycle (cleaning up the toolchain) and simplifying patch levels, a key part of it is creating obsolescence by somewhat randomly declaring certain hardware no longer supported. So my MacMini (x86_64 capable) can't be updated because Apple and or nVidia won't update the drivers. I assume another generation of hardware will get the chop with 10.10 so that owners can go out and buy some new kit. If they're really lucky they'll have to get new peripherals as well: quite a few manufacturers don't support Mavericks. Fortunately, this is one of things that Windows VMs are good for, so I can still use my Canon scanner the odd times I need to.

The notification centre is okay with most things disabled. Pity you can't disable the fecking Finder messages!

4. Annihilator

"The versions from 10.6 upwards have each been fairly good improvements, there was always something in the newer product that made it worth installing"

Not being a Mac user myself, but were you aware of the improvements being required before you saw them in each version from 10.6 onwards? In other words, how do you know that 10.10 will be more pain than it's worth?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

were you aware of the improvements being required before you saw them in each version from 10.6 onwards? In other words, how do you know that 10.10 will be more pain than it's worth?

Good question, and the answers are "yes" and "because we evaluate first". I'm on the side of caution because I use my systems for work, so I too wait a few months before I upgrade a major release (days to weeks for a point release like 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 as they tend to be about security).

By that time I've seen any issues show up online, I will have wandered into a shop and played with it and I will have read through the docs. If that looks like a lot of work, it's simply because change represents risk for a business, and frankly, we did no different when we were still a Microsoft/Linux shop (we're now an OSX/Linux shop with some scatterings of iOS :) ).

We took a conscious, well reasoned business decision to go the Apple route.

For us it works, but it's not an excuse to abandon caution. I like what I've seen so far, even when you peel off the inevitable show gloss (I want to see if it's all that slick in the hands of an unrehearsed end user, for instance), but any sharing feature is a cause for concern. We have obligations to demonstrate compliance with all sorts of rules so until we understand the precise hand off mechanism and have control over it we cannot deploy those new versions of iOS and OSX.

So, it's wait and see for us..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointing

I was rather hoping the OS after 10.9 would (finally?) be called OS 11, or XI, rather than this Solaris-like clinging to point release numbers. At the very least I think it should herald a decent change at long last, rather than just incessant bitty tweaking like it's been since they finally got the OS sorted and bedded in around 10.5.

1. Annihilator
      Windows

Re: Disappointing

Similarly, Windows has been v6.x since Vista

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Disappointing

Because change for change's sake is good.

It's refreshing.

It appeals to teenagers and random hipsters who couldn't into IT if their backup depended on it.

8. Eradicate all BB entrants

Well it seems to be a shot of .....

..... a developers machine as Terminal and Console are in the dock. In all my time of having to admin them they are 2 items the users did not know existed.

9. JDX Gold badge

iOS8

Oh not again - I only just got all the bloody icons and launch images figured out to work on iOS7!

1. mark1978

Re: iOS8

My iPhone 4S runs like crap on iOS7 so no way I'm upgrading to iOS 8 !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: iOS8

Your performance may go down as well as up..

10. Alan Denman

Numbers are king

The dumbed down lot outnumber the X factor dozens to one so obviously IOSification is where it is at.

11. Greg J Preece

The look of the Dock has been modified to look a bit like iOS, whilst the whole design looks a bit more Flat, which was the name for the beefed-up design of iOS 7, for those who remember.

So will the iFans ever come close to admitting that super-trendy Apple are now taking design cues from Microsoft? Because they totally are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Grow up.

2. ThomH

Will the iHaters ever come close to admitting that super-arrogant Apple can roll back its mistakes*? The Dock was 2d everywhere prior to 10.5 and has remained flat on every interim release if moved to the side of the screen rather than left at the bottom.

(*albeit without ever acknowledging or, god forbid, apologising for them; humility is not part of the deal)

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Mark 85
    Coat

Rollback?

You mean they'll be removing the water-proofing functionality?

14. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

blurry photos of what's supposed to be the next OS X

Photos. Of an operating system.

FECK OFF!!!

15. Yves Kurisaki
    Facepalm

News they call it

A new OSX video has been on YouTube for 4 days now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwjOji9F_g

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like