back to article WiMAX gets EU harmonisation at 2.6GHz

The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) has started the approvals process for WiMAX to be officially recognised as a 2.6GHz technology, though Intel's bid for Swedish airwaves provides more substantial evidence of deployment plans. WiMAX - a technology which cleverly calls itself 4G despite only offering 3G …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Cullen

WIMAX = 4G????

"WiMAX - a technology which cleverly calls itself 4G despite only offering 3G speeds"

Haven't Docomo been trialing 4G in japan and have been getting speeds of up 100Mbps downstream. This kind of makes WIMAX a bit pointless.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Noooooooooo.................

Oh GOD!!!

I need more Tin-Foil............

donations of £££ gratfully recieved /co. the register ;)

this is not funny, for us EHS sufferers

oh well all you 'normies' will be joining us soon enough.....

(if you have'nt gone sterile or died of some cancer they can't (or won't) attribute to RF-Microwave radiation..)

then maybe normality will resume...

[WE APPOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVIENCE, NORMAL SERVICES WILL RESUME SHORTLY].....HHGTTG :)

mines the stiff one with the thick tin-foil lining.....

illuminatus;p

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC

It took me a while to figure out what the hell you were talking about with the tin foil lark.

Then I realised it related to an article regarding using tinfoil to boost weak signal..so i figured i'd post that here for the benefit of others ;)

4. Jethro
    Boffin

@ WIMAX = 4G????

Lee:

4G is a very broad term for pretty much all next gen wireless technologies. Most traditional network providers are using the buzzword LTE (Long Term Evolution) as 3G was more of a rip and refit. LTE will be a gradual increase using more flexible time slot's and lighter protocol stacks (radio end) all coupled with IP core, transmission & signalling. I think most providers are either all IP for these planes or half way there. But if there not I'd be worried.

On another note I think the 2.6GHz UK auction will be very interesting the first real breakdown of the LTE projects from major UK players.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

move elsewhere then :P

Electro sensitivity......another "Germery Heil" lovers disease.....why work when you can keep yourself supported with lawsuits?

Then again big surprise in a country which has no interest in employing people above burger flipper level and prefers to "outsource / sell their country down the river to dictatorships for a song"

Ill grab my coat and passport and ask that the last person born here pre 1990 to leave this dump of a country please turn out the lights

6. Busted
    Paris Hilton

Can we stop with all this RF stuff

Really I don't need 100Mbps to check my email on the mobile can we just make the current wireless stuff safer or release a safer technology and leave the high speed stuff to the landlines.

Because 2.4Ghz makes my blood boil!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

nice (or not) to see comments from others that have the same problem as myself :-(

Don't worry about global warming from CO2, we are basically going to fry ourselves off the map with radio waves anyway within 20 or 30 years.

If we don't get cancer, leukaemia, or have strokes caused by them, we'll all be sterilised instead.

Q. How can a young child or baby tell you if they have a headache when near wi-fi or a mobile mast?

A. They can't, they just live with the constant pain and become moody or quiet.

Q. How can you stop your neighbour putting their wi-fi router on the wall next to where you sleep?

Q. How much does the signal increase if you live in a flat, surrounded by people with routers, computers, and Nintendo Wii's?

Q. Why does a window seem to focus the signal into a room, making it worse inside the room than if you were outside?

8. Henry Wertz Gold badge

EHS and "4G"

"Q. How can a young child or baby tell you if they have a headache when near wi-fi or a mobile mast?

A. They'd cry their ass off. Young children and babies don't just lie around if they ache.

Q. How can you stop your neighbour putting their wi-fi router on the wall next to where you sleep?

A. No idea. I haven't had this problem.

Q. How much does the signal increase if you live in a flat, surrounded by people with routers, computers, and Nintendo Wii's?

A. Rounding down, zero. Do you fall down and start twitching when anyone within a block runs a microwave oven? The leakage from them is FAR stronger than wifi signals. Do radios and TVs give you a fit? They have a local oscillator that spews out plenty of RF noise. How about cars? The spark plugs can produce quite a bit of RF noise (except diesels that don't have this).

Q. Why does a window seem to focus the signal into a room, making it worse inside the room than if you were outside?

A. It doesn't, it's all in your head. The window lets a signal in better than a wall but it doesn't amplify or focus signals.

"

4G... well, initially 3G was supposed to be service that would get 128kbps or up. Then once that was met by CDMA-1X (144kbps) and was found to not be much better than the present "2G" services, 3G was redefined to mean considerably higher speeds. Despite this, GSM providers here love to claim EDGE is "2.5G" or even "2.75G" even though it's definitely not by present definition of 3G. It's essentially a marketing term more than anything.

To be honest, rather than having some crazy 100mbps service, I'd rather have a "3G"-style speed but with caps lifted. For instance, Verizon Wireless where I live still has only 1X (144kbps) but has EVDO (1-3mbps more or less) rolled out over most of their service area -- but with a 5GB cap. I'd love to have 1-3mbps wireless without a cap more than 100mbps with a cap.

9. Gordon JC Pearce

"Problems" indeed

RF from wireless networking gear *cannot* under any circumstances harm you.

Q. How can a young child or baby tell you if they have a headache when near wi-fi or a mobile mast?

A. They can't, they just live with the constant pain and become moody or quiet.

Uhm, no. they don't get a headache from being near wifi. The reason they're probably moody or quiet is because they've got gas from the mungbean and soy juice drink you've given them in place of milk.

If you shine a fairly bright torch at your hand, more electromagnetic energy is hitting you than from a wireless network card. Do you get headaches from having a torch shone at you?

Anyone who says that wifi equipment or mobile phone masts make them ill is insane. Actually properly delusional insane requiring prompt psychiatric intervention kind of insane.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like