back to article Brunner does a runner: Beats designer must hand the brand to Apple

The man who designed the famous Beats by Dre headphones will not continue to work on the brand after its sale to Apple, it has been announced. Robert Brunner was head of industrial design at Apple in the early '90s – where he worked on Macintosh, the original PowerBook and Newton – although he has quipped: "I sometimes joke …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Coat

Good name for Apple to acquire

After all, your average fanboi Beats furiously over every new iThing...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good name for Apple to acquire

iBeat (off)

2. Richard Boyce
      Joke

Re: Good name for Apple to acquire

I don't see Apple being keen to acquire the brand FartingHippo.

2. Big_Ted

This is such a great buy by Apple

After all look at how much extra value people thought HTC phones had with this system built in....

Oh right.....

I'll get my coat.

3. Stretch

coolest members of Apple

Oxymoron alert. Nothing associated with the scum can be cool, no one who owns anything they have made is cool, nothing they do or say or think is cool... BECAUSE THEY WANT IT TO BE COOL.

That's how it works you know:

Coolness = 1/DesireToBeCool

And they really, really, desperately, achingly want to be cool. So they are the least cool thing possible.

Cool things are the things that don't even know they are cool.

1. Steve Todd

Re: coolest members of Apple

So if you don't desire to be cool then your coolness is infinite?

1. Hollerith 1

Yes, my coolness is infinite.

Deal with it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Cool things are the things that don't even know they are cool."

I think I speak for most people when I say "I hope hipsters all get cholera and shit themselves to death." Cool just is, bub. There are plenty of people/things that try damned hard to be cool and, as a result, are.

Hipsters, on the other hand, are a plague upon the Earth. There is more to the world than being into things before they become mainstream or putting measurable effort into shunning anything and anyone that has a hint of being popular, or wanting to be.

Now, get the hell out of here because the entire cast of "The Expendables" trips out of here with a goddamned armoury and turns you into a pile of dust reminiscent of crusted saltines.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: "Cool things are the things that don't even know they are cool."

Hipsters vs The Expendables. So, a hipster is anyone who isn't an inarticulate sweaty, male has-been? Good to know, thanks.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

No, a hipster is not "anyone" who is not awesome. There are plenty of non-awesome people who aren't hipsters. Hipsters are people obsessed with coolness and appearance while desperately putting obscene amounts of time and effort into appearing not to be obsessed with coolness and appearance.

Hipsters don't do. They whinge. Hipsters can only make themselves feel better by putting others down. Hipsters are perpetually at the bottom of the hierarchy, looking angrily and covetously upwards without the willingness or desire to actually do anything to better their station. Hipsters believe the world owes them a lot more than it does while simultaneously believing they owe the world - and everyone else in it - nothing.

Put simply, hipsters are scum. And all the whining in the world won't change the fact that to get ahead in the world you need to not only actually work for a living, but develop some fucking charisma and perhaps - just perhaps - enough empathy to relate to other human beings.

May their reign last hours, and their deaths years.

1. 's water music

@Trevor_Pott

The lady doth protest too much, methinks :-)

Is the lady a hipster? Because she can go the special hell too. The one reserved for people who pollute their coffee with cream and the blackguards who talk at the theater.

1. 's water music

My point was that you (and others in this thread) seem to have gone all no true scotsman with your definition of hipsters, which seemed ironic since that was what hipsters are supposed to have done with the notion of being cool.

A bit like the philosophy of political correctness being equally beloved by liberals and conservatives depending on which way up you hold it.

I agree about the coffee and cream thing though. :-)

No true scotsman is all about someone trying to exclude others from their group by progressively narrowing the definition of the group until it includes people just like them.

I, on the other hand, and very specifically defining a single classification of attitudes and behaviors which I believe are deserving of being loaded into a cannon and fired into the sun.

I am not attempting to draw a narrow circle around people "like me" and excluding everyone else. I am drawing a circle around a small population and saying "the rest of humanity is good, but these fuckers can go to hell."

The no true Sctosman bit is about creating a clique. I'm on about discrimination against and identifiable group, where the group I've identified as needing to be discriminated is "entitled douche canoes."

Now, we could argue that I've chosen the wrong word for the group in question. In my experience, those who self-identify as "Hipster", or are most often identified by others as "Hipster" meet the qualifications for deserving to be trapped in a bubble at the bottom of the ocean with Barney playing on infinite repeat. But perhaps there is a fellow out there who self-identifies as Hipster that isn't part of that group. Okay. I've no problem with that. I think he's probably using the wrong term to describe himself, but that's no skin off my nose.

Unlike "No True Scotsman", I am stating my definition of the group which needs to be trapped in a glacier for all time, and don't actually care at all about the term used to describe them, whereas in "No True Scotsman" the focus is on keeping the term but progressively excluding those who don't fit exactly.

You can replace "Hipsters" in the above comments with "calamari-worshiping jelly fanatics" for all I care. So long as we're clear about who needs to be compressed into a singularity, then the term used to describe them is not relevant.

Cheers.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

I think I'm clear about how you think hipsters think, although I don't think there are any who really think like that. I've never even met anyone who self-identified as a hipster. I'm not sure what's at the root of your intolerance but in the words of the prophet (Bo Diddley), "You can't judge a book by looking at the cover". Anyway, the word 'hipster' needs to be retired from contemporary parlance - the new usage has quite taken the shine off listening to Lord Buckley monologues. There's a perfectly good word to describe people that's not so specific as to facial hair, glasses etc and it covers the spectrum from estate agent to 'Head of UX' - that word is 'twat'.

Run-of-the-mill twats I can cope with. Hipsters need to be liquified into series of short-chain polymers.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Still struggling with the definition ... am I along the right lines?

- NHS specs

- skinny jeans

- handlebar moustache

- Chromebook

- Windows phone

- fixed wheel bike

- tattoo of CSS3 cribsheet

Right, that's the women IDed. Now for the blokes ...

I think the precise set of clothing and accoutrements changes with time, but the general rule is "desperately attempting not to look mainstream by dressing exactly like everyone else who is desperately attempting not to look mainstream." At least, if you are attempting to judge based solely on appearance. Which is somewhat valid in this case...

1. Frankee Llonnygog

So, depending on when and where you apply the criteria: visit cruel punishments on all skinheads, punks, goths, metallers, etc but be lenient on the man in the C&A chinos (unless the NSA sarcasm detector beeps an irony alert). Or perhaps, and I'm realise I'm perhaps casting unwarranted nasturtiums here, the problem is - young people?

4. BleedinObvious

The man who designed the famous Beats by Dre headphones?

Thought we already established that was the guys at Monster

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Head phones should go well with the eye phones.

6. Mage Silver badge

Easy Job

Copying £10 'phones and sticking "Beats" labels on them?

I wonder anyway was it:

Plastics design 100%

Acoustic & Driver design 0%

Do Beats Headsets really use custom or off the shelf moving coil earpiece inserts?

But everyone keeps telling me it's not about the headphones but the Streaming!

7. Irony Deficient

[…] we are handing the reigns over […]

Which letter does not belong here?

1. Eddy Ito
      Coat

Re: […] we are handing the reigns over […]

The 't' and they spelled 'happy' wrong.

2. king of foo

Re: […] we are handing the reigns over […]

Heresy! If there's any reigning to be done then as the king of all things foo I should be the one doing it!

Guards, fetch the guillotine - I hereby decree that tomorrow shall be a national holiday and everyone will go bobbing for 'apples'.

And for god's sake boy, you lead your horse by the reins not the todger! Go and wash your hands.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple are going to create a new social, music and dating network where the idea is to show how you're having a better time than other couples. It'll be called Beat Your Meet.

(Sorry, but I couldn't see how to get Spank Your Monkey into any sort of punch line)

9. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

"just like HP once did"

Ah yes, that'd be the laptop over there with a coat of black spray paint to get rid of the obnoxious dinner-plate-size logo.

10. NogginTheNog

Life ain't nothing but an iThing

+1 for the Ellis Beggs & Howard quote.

11. jonathan keith

Come, friendly bombs...

... and fall on Cupertino. Apple and Beats: a match made in hell.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Empty shell much!

All they have now is the manufacturing side and not the 'cool' designers; is that clever, really!?

13. JimBob42
    Trollface

Not the Beats you needed

But the Beats you deserve.

14. Hud Dunlap
    Thumb Down

Would some one please explain to me why this is worth so much money.

People who read my posts know that I have no use for the new leadership at Apple. What are they buying? I know the Reg had an article about it already but it still doesn't make since.

15. Mage Silver badge

Since?

When?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beats headphones

Honestly, with a brand name focused on repetitive rhythms why is anyone really surprised that the sonic quality is anything other than iffy?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like