back to article Will IBM System x sink without trace before Lenovo can grab the helm?

It's squeaky bottom time for Lenovo execs waiting to get their hands on IBM's System X division, as Big Blue's sales train continues to head south, making sporadic station stops at Double Digit Declines-ville and Commodity Central. IBM's server biz continued to fall from grace in the first calendar quarter of 2014, with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge

It's not just about price

It's not just about price. One of the biggest problems with IBM is their bureaucracy.

See, you don't just get a server or whole data center full of servers, you get there byzantine, utterly unhelpful warranty and support with it.

In other words, "service" or should I say, lack thereof.

Same problem that knocked Dell from number one in PC sales to number 3 back in the last decade.

Many a large company has made a fortune, and then lost it, thinking of their customers as just another commodity.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: It's not just about price

bullocks

"their"

2. Randall Shimizu

IBM will still retain the x86 Flex server and flex blades. IBM was selling 300 flex servers a month.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you sure?

The way I read the announcements, the x86 blades and the chassies was going to Lenovo. The Power blades were staying with IBM, and I assume that there would be some marketing tie up so IBM could still sell the chassies.

I was waiting to see whether the IBM supplied chassies would carry an IBM or a Lenovo badge (or maybe "Made for IBM by Lenovo" as the later IBM Thinkpads said).

If this deal falls through, IBM, at least in the UK, will be in trouble, because they've been reshaping the workforce in preparation for the last couple of months. This is probably the reason why the sales have dropped. The sales and sales support people have either left, moved to different posts, or are so hacked off that they've lost all motivation.

3. hmas

I'm currently recruiting new staff. The proportion of CV's from current IBM technical sales staff 'looking for new opportunities' is certainly noticeable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm also recruiting staff

never seen so many IBM CV's as I'm getting now.

1. pyrasanth

Re: I'm also recruiting staff

Want another?? lol

4. Chris Rodinis

Memory Configuration Video for the IBM System x3750 m4 Server

Since this article is about IBM's x Server business, some readers may find this video useful or interesting. The video is short, upbeat and informative about the IBM x3750 m4 server: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5-8ydTZKSE

5. cj17

Study the past if you would define the future

Remind me, how did the sale of the IBM PC Division work out for Lenovo?

6. MadMike

Oracle is no 1 at Unix servers

again. IBM is second at Unix servers:

https://blogs.oracle.com/partnertech/entry/oracle_regains_the_1_unix

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like