back to article iiNet trial killed ISP-content talks, says Brandis

Australia's government is “actively pursuing” the issue of online piracy, but the talks once pursued between government and ISPs remain a dead duck, according to an exchange in a Senate Estimates hearing yesterday. In response to questions from Greens senator Scott Ludlam, attorney-general George Brandis has told Estimates …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig Foster

Wow

An Attorney-General who doesn't like a trial result based on common sense and sound legal reasoning?

I bet the closest Choice or ACCAN got to pay-to-meet Brandis is a message left with his PA.

Meanwhile expensive lunches have guaranteed the MAFIAA got their point across during face-to-face time.

1. Tim Roberts 1

Re: Wow

Yes, if you don't agree with the decision of the highest court in the land, that's just tough luck. It was indeed a sensible decision in my opinion.

2. G 14

We have the A-G (and government) for the Corporations and not the people in 'Straya.

3. P. Lee
    Joke

I weep large and toothy tears for the government.

4. Neoc

Sooo.... lot's of hand-wringing going on about how to stop Piracy... but no-one's bothering to look into why Piracy is "such a big problem" in the first place. Like stupid release schedules around the world. Or price discrepancies across markets. Or stupid DRM rules that stop me from watching/listening what I want when and where I want.

Cart, horse.

1. Steven Roper

Or allowing bastards like Murdoch to monopolise certain popular TV shows so he can force those who want to watch them to pay for top-dollar premium channels that cost the earth just so they can watch one show.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or entitled geeks that believe that they don't have to pay for other people's work.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Or entitled geeks that believe that they don't have to pay for other people's work."

I bought a DVD box set (premium version in a fancy case) of an entire 1980's TV series based purely on the fact I enjoyed what I saw when I pirated the first season.

I bought the entire 9 seasons of a 1990's TV show based on pirating the first season.

I have bought a number of games on Steam after pirating them and enjoying them.

I have half a dozen movies on DVD that were bought after pirating.

Am I an entitled geek because I prefer to keep my money for quality products?

I might also add that I create my own content too, and expect to retain the copyright on such works... I also have a brain and understand ISPs are not the place to deal with copyright infringement.

5. Fluffy Bunny
    Angel

Green's policy?

What I don't understand about the exchange is why the Green's senator is so gung-ho about destroying our freedoms, I mean preventing copyright breaches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Green's policy?

They aren't. The greens are pro-piracy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like