back to article Microsoft's 'CEO of no' on Xbox: NO SALE

Microsoft’s new chief executive has told us what he’s not going to do - sell Bing or Xbox - but not what is he going to do. So far, all we’re hearing is a lot of "no". Speaking at a technology event in California, Nadella has been reported and quoted on Twitter to have ruled out the sale of both Xbox and Bing. On Xbox, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Shane8
    Joke

"Bing is actually a successful product for Microsoft"

compared to vista maybe....the statement above is missing the icon...

1. hplasm
      Devil

"Bing is actually a successful product for Microsoft"

Bing! It's no Zune!!!

1. Euripides Pants
        Meh

Re: "Bing is actually a successful product for Microsoft"

Let us not forget Bob.....

2. big_D Silver badge

You have to differentiate between Bing the technology and Bing the website.

Bing is the power behind most search services in Windows 8 and Windows Server. They use the same technology as the Bing web site to search local machines and corporate data stores. Selling off Bing the technology would cripple Microsoft's OS services. It is also the power behind Cortana.

Bing the website is a public show case for the technology and a very small part of what Bing "is".

Selling off the technology doesn't make any sense. Shuttering the web portal, or selling that off, could make some sense, but they have spent time building up the brand - look at all of the Bing branded apps that come with Windows nowadays.

3. lurker

Bing

Spinning off Bing would be a very short-sighted move. It's not going to dethrone google, but without the backing of Microsoft it would fail, and Microsoft need it to exist simply because handing the whole game to the chocolate factory would be suicidal. If they don't have an ecosystem of their own which can at least seem to challenge google, they are doomed, and search is a big part of that.

Where does the 30% search share figure for Bing come from by the way? That sounds more like a USA figure rather than a global / Western world number. I don't think I know anyone who uses Bing, to be honest. If I met someone who said they did they would probably get the same sort of reaction as if they had admitted to being Seventh Day Advent Hoppists - confusion and disbelief.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Bing

Agreed. Microsoft really need Bing. Ignoring the stupid name and poor search results (although they are much better than they used to be), having a large, backed competitor for Internet Search is important for the industry. "Google It" is already a generic term for Internet Search, it's important that there are genuine alternatives as otherwise a company in a monopoly position will not improve and will instead exploit the situation. Microsoft should know this...

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: Bing

Outside English speaking countries, the services offered by Bing are very mediocre.

I use it from time to time when searching in English, as it sometimes gives results where Google fails to bring up anything relevant. But in German it is pretty poor. That probably also explains why the UK will get Cortana towards theend of the summer, whilst Germany and other non-English speaking countries won't get it until Q2 2015, according to rumours.

It is a shame, when it works, it works very well; but the non-English non-US side needs a lot of work.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can't sell bing off

If they sell it what will characters on TV shows search using?!

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: They can't sell bing off

The trend will be to use an "online personal assistant" to perform the search. That's the next big thing therefore they will be pushed heavily and we'll all get to enjoy the product placement and unfeasible search results and accuracy demonstrated.

1. king of foo

in other news

Ms unveil the much anticipated Cortana replacement;

Kneel before Clippy...

2. Fibbles

Re: They can't sell bing off

"The trend will be to use an "online personal assistant" to perform the search."

Did I hear somebody say Bonzi Buddy?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is Bing?

Never mind, I just Goggled it {}:>))

1. Russell Hancock

Re: What is Bing?

Thanks for the laugh... i liked that one...

6. regadpellagru

Good luck

"And he needs to do all this while maintaining a rather successful Windows business"

Well, good luck with this one. Win XP/7/8 are the same thing with only the GUI changing, people have become aware of this, and PC laptops and desktops are soon to be history. I see as much Windows future in this landscape as there was OSF/1 on X86.

Only junior sysadmins that can't do Linux will be the customer base of Windows servers, and that's not gonna make his numbers.

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Good luck

Win XP/7/8 are the same thing with only the GUI changing,

Other than support for newer hardware interfaces, what else is there really to add? OSs have been pretty mature for a good while now.

PC laptops and desktops are soon to be history.

That's very doubtful. They're not growing at the rate they were in the late 90s early 2000s, and there'll be a certain amount of displacement in the (primarily consumption based) consumer area, but other than that they'll still be around, also most of these devices will continue to run Windows. (Inertia is a bitch).

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

"and PC laptops and desktops are soon to be history."

Given that Microsoft's core market is selling to places where people have to do work on their computers, what do you propose is going to replace these laptops and desktops?

Do you believe that because people are watching YouTube at home on Android tablets and iPads instead of laptops it means that they'll soon be going into work to do their job on the same kind of casual-use devices?

1. big_D Silver badge

@Kristian

exactly. I have a dual 24" monitor set-up at work. 99% of my work involves me sitting at a desk. I wouldn't swap my PC with expanded desktop for a "post-PC" portable device. If I did, I would probably spend 99% of my time using RDP to get on a terminal server somewhere so I could work, less productively because I can't see as much information.

There are some verticals which do benefit from post-PC devices, we've been selling touch terminals and robust tablets to the slaughter and food processing industry for over a decade but the office workers at those places still use a full-on PC to do their work.

Likewise, iPads are being used by one customer to make their salesforce more flexible, it is linked through a custom sales app to their SAP backend. But it is still too fiddly for when they are in the office, then it is quicker and easier to type up notes on dozens of appointments on their PC. In the field, at the customer and taking orders or showing off new products, the iPad really pays for itself.

3. MJI Silver badge

MS have been feature removing from anything after XP.

A few older but used technologies have gone

4. plrndl
      Linux

The problem with maintaining the Windows business is that it is based on selling an OS that is so bad that people will willingly pay for a new version that claims to improve on the old. I have personally purchased numerous DOS/Win upgrades for this reason, before moving to Linux.

Compared to its predecessors, XP SP3 was good enough that people had less interest in upgrading. W8 with its not-Windows interface really killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Microsoft now has to get out of the OS businerss to survive.

7. Tom 38

The sales track record of Windows ARM tablets is poor

FTFY.

1. Oninoshiko

I came to point this out too, because it would really be news to Apple!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comparing to the iPhone?

The iPhone has a small share of the overall mobile market (about 10%) but is more profitable than the rest of the mobile market combined.

I think it would be better compared with Windows Phone, which has a small share and loses money, since Microsoft has never turned a profit on Bing.

9. jnemesh

Name ONE successful (and profitable) Consumer Electronics item from MS!

Just ONE. Can't do it can you? I can, however, make a list of their failures and money pits...lets see:

Xbox (never profitable, any generation)

Zune

Kin

WebTV

UltimateTV

Surface (RT or Pro)

Windows Phone

I could go on, but you get the picture. MS has been trying for YEARS to be successful in the consumer electronics space, but all they have done is flush BILLIONS of dollars down the drain! This latest attempt, to put "Windows Everywhere" is hugely misguided. I, and millions of other users, LOATHE Windows..ESPECIALLY Windows 8! We neither want, nor need Windows infecting our other devices. There are already superior platforms for phones, tablets, and even desktop computers...people use Windows, not because they love it, but because of simple inertia. Now that they have to basically relearn how to use the new OS, many people, myself included, have decided to move on to alternative platforms and avoid MS completely.

As for Xbox? WHY would ANYONE want to pay the same price as the competing PS4 for a console that isn't as powerful and that runs at lower resolutions and/or frame rates? Halo? PLEASE. The Xbox (D)One was a failure the moment they announced the specs...and no amount of "cloud computing" secret sauce, DX12 magic fairy dust or other software optimizations is going to fix the inherent problem of them using an underpowered GPU and slower memory! It's over, they lost.

1. Tom 38

Re: Name ONE successful (and profitable) Consumer Electronics item from MS!

Intellimouse.

Hey, I agree with you in principle, you should have said "name two succesful CE items from MS".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Name ONE successful (and profitable) Consumer Electronics item from MS!

"Xbox (never profitable, any generation)"

Actually the Xbox 360 is a few billion in profit and still making money. Offset to a degree by the costs of the original Xbox.

It's also looking a near certainty that Microsoft are going to make significant ongoing profits with Xbox One once the launch costs are eaten....

10. Salts

MS will not sell bing...

It would lose too much business intelligence, even at 30% market share the information from bing is worth to much to MS.

I do remember a company once, that said what use is a search engine(or did not 'get it'), RIP Digital Equipment Corporation.

11. zen1

Bing has 30%?

The only time they hold 30% is that time an uneducated user installs software that changes the default search engine from something else, to bing. In my experience, that usually lasts for about 20 to 30 minutes, until they change it back. God how I love Redmond fuzzy math.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like