back to article Apple goes after BlackBerry's last stronghold

Apple has opened an office in Indonesia. Twitter member Fauzan Alfi, aka @fauzanalfi, spotted a new listing for Apple on the American Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia’s site. The address provided on that site matches that on Apple's own site. Apple has also started hiring staff in Indonesia, some in retail roles. Why does …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe

I would have gone with Masada, not stronghold.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blackberry's market share already crashed in Indonesia too...This is just the band playing a new song on the sinking ship:

"But even the picture in Indonesia, one of the company's healthiest markets, is increasingly dire and the Z3 may be too little too late, analysts warn.

"The launch of this device is really BlackBerry's final stand in the Indonesian market," Sudev Bangah from telecoms consultancy IDC told AFP.

IDC says BlackBerry's market share peaked in Indonesia in 2011 at about 43 per cent and remained healthy in 2012 only to suffer a collapse in 2013, when it fell to around 13 per cent.

And Bangah said it was unlikely the new device would be BlackBerry's saviour in Indonesia.

"Do we expect a mass exodus to this device? Hardly likely," he said, adding IDC expected BlackBerry's market share to fall to around 10 per cent this year."

2. James 51

Surely BlackBerry's last strong hold is people who just want to get stuff done?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Surely BlackBerry's last strong hold is people who just want to get stuff done?"

With the failure rate and general crappiness of the 9790s we've been saddled with for our current corporate contract, like a sticky-keyed, freezing albatross around our necks, I'd say there's zero chance of that.

Blackberry did once make excellent, reliable handsets that as you suggest had a focus on doing the core functionality and doing it well. Those days are long gone.

AC because, well I didn't negotiate the contract and nobody likes to be told 'I told you so',

1. James 51

Had a 9320. The only thing I was disappointed with was the sound quality on calls when it was windy. The track pad did fail after eighteen months but that's bound to happen to someone. Got a Q10. Much better all round handset. Only thing I miss is the trackpad.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Had a 9320. The only thing I was disappointed with was the sound quality on calls when it was windy. The track pad did fail after eighteen months but that's bound to happen to someone. Got a Q10. Much better all round handset. Only thing I miss is the trackpad."

For me the rot set in around the advent of the Pearl 7100. The little jogdial type nubbin they had failed on every single one of those handsets we had, within a few months.

2. Don Jefe

That's just it, many people had the perception that non BlackBerry users were 'getting more stuff done' because of different features, bigger screens and such. The thing about perception is that the it is 100% true and valid for those who perceive a given thing a certain way.

That's why you have to step way, way back to get a vantage point that let's you see that very, very, few products have a universal marketing message. Good marketing keeps the target audience completely blinded to the existence of diverging, or even contradictory, messages about their products. RIM was always just gloriously bad at perception management. Was the BlackBerry a corporate communications tool or a cheap text friendly phone for kids? In truth it was both, but they failed to differentiate.

Incidentally that same thing is why it's silly when end users get into the super colorful product (x) vs product (y) debates. They've been sold a perception and it's completely true for them. It's like arguing about the existence of gravity on Earth. The only wrong answer is that there is no gravity on that planet.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting things done?

Surely most blackberry users are managers so they never get anything done they just tell others to do them instead :o

Notice how no one ever says "we are going to stop this" nowadays everyone says " we are going to plan how to stop it" ie we'll kick it into the long grass and hope no one notices :(

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Register's Apple articles get weirder and weirder

I guess they're just looking to make a rather boring story that Apple is doing something to sell into the fourth largest country in the world more "headline grabbing" by making it sound like they're actively targeting Blackberry?

I doubt Blackberry having decent share there or having 0% share wouldn't have changed Apple's position any. They feel they can sell more than they do in Indonesia if they open a few stores there, improve localization, etc. If Samsung started opening stores there (if they already haven't) is it because they're going after Blackberry, or because they're going where there are millions of potential customers?

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: The Register's Apple articles get weirder and weirder

No worries mate. Even El Reg will run the story when BB gets liquidated for its patents and perhaps its name. Of course they will run it a day or two after everyone else.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like