back to article Samsung WRISTPHONE – for those who wanna whisper to strap-ons

Samsung is about to give the world a smartphone-on-a-wrist, according to The Wall Street Journal. Murdoch's money magazine reports that the as-yet-un-named device will run the Tizen operating system, include a camera, Bluetooth, GPS, heart rate monitor and even an email client. Unlike Samsung's current wearables, it won't need …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Roper

...Aaaaand

waiting for Apple to start suing all these watchphone makers off the market because they patented the idea of a watchphone even though the idea has been around since Dick Tracy and they have yet to come out with one themselves. No doubt they'll claim they invented it first even though these devices have been available on drop-shipping sites and such for quite some time now.

Bring on the downvotes, fanbois.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Coat

Re: ...Aaaaand

"Bring on the downvotes, fanbois."

The fanboys don't read these subjects, they are tech-related.

OK, OK I'm going

2. Bob Vistakin
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dunno about Dick but Scott, Virgil, Alan and Brains all had them

TB are GO!!!

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Happy

Have an upvote!

Exactly my first thought.

3. ThomH

Thank goodness none of us had to wait for the obligatory "Apple's going to sue" first comment.

... which Apple entirely deserves.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Battery, battery, battery.

I'd have thought that battery life to run the GSM/3G modem would kill this.

My unqualified suggestion for the best way for a smart watch to work, would be to run it as a dumb* device for an existing smartphone. That way you keep the power requirements as low as you can in such a small device, and do all the heavy lifting on the paired smartphone which has a larger battery and better screen & keyboard.

* By dumb I mean not running any apps, and with minimal i/o. Think Bluetooth headset on your wrist with a simple low power display and a couple of buttons.

1. Ralph B

Re: Battery, battery, battery.

Ideally you'd use a series of batteries in the links of the watchstrap. This would give a pretty good capacity, perhaps allowing the watch to also serve as a tethered gsm-wifi provider for other devices.

1. Haku

A battery like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251014153067

2. Arnold Lieberman

http://www.pandawill.com/swatch-e2602-bluetooth-watch-android-42-mtk6572-dual-core-camera-gps-wifi-fm-154-inch-p89213.html

My pleasure.

3. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Joke

Entertaining

I love this stuff - first we had people talking to thin air (Bluetooth hands-free kit). Now it will be talking to your hand (wristphone). I'm waiting for someone to make some hi-tech voice recording underwear (a Dicktaphone?) - can't wait to see those being used in public!

"Testes, testes, one, two, three...."

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Entertaining

Three? 8-O

1. Mitoo Bobsworth
        Happy

Re: Entertaining

Yep - The third one is the bollock you make of yourself!

4. Guus Leeuw

So memoryloss, and a very unimaginitive brain is what it takes to become a regreporter?

Dear Sir,

may I point out that the obvious way to hold a wristphone, would be euhm, around one's wrist? So holding the device would be very similar to the other thingy on the wrist watchammacallitagain euhm ... dum dum... oh! watches :)

And the unknown contortions to operate such device, probably if not most likely involve using the hand attached to that wrist which doesn't have the phone, to punch miniscule buttons on the phone (on the other wrist)... Do you remember way back when digital watches came out and there was a brief spell, maybe 2 years, during which watch makers attempted to cramp as many buttons on a watch as they could so that the watch could double as a wristcalculator (not to calculate one's wrist, but the be a calculator on a device that is worn on said wrist).

Now either you don't know about these calculator-watches and that's ok, but not having the faintest idea of how one would hold the device is rather a mistery to me.

Text editing isn't too difficult either: Not too long ago we had phones with 12 keys, neatly positioned in four rows of three keys each. Certain letters (3 per key) were associated with certain digits. The phone would have logic to figure out that 2662 could spell bomb or amoc or some such. Long-presses on the keys would reveal accented equivalents of the letter associated to those keys...

Now try scratching your right arm pit with fingers attached to your right hand. Those are unknown contortions!!!

Cycling time,

Guus

1. frank ly

Re: So memoryloss, and a very unimaginitive brain is what it takes to become a regreporter?

Would the toothpick/stylus fit into a small recessed tube in the wristphone, or would it be tied to the strap with a short length of stylish string?

2. MrXavia

Re: So memoryloss, and a very unimaginitive brain is what it takes to become a regreporter?

Surely you would talk to the phone rather than touch it?

but I did have a calculator remote control watch when I was younger, and a 'data' watch that stored my contacts... I was a bit of a geek....

5. big_D Silver badge

Hold it?

How are you going to hold it? Are you serious? If it is a watch, the whole point is, that you don't hold it, you wear it! :-S

As for text entry, I would guess either voice or you will need a stylus! :-D For dialling a number, maybe a rotary dial will make a comeback, as opposed to miniscule number buttons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hold it?

Perhaps just perhaps they were referring to how you use it as a phone. Talking to your hand is one thing, but then you have to put your watch to your ear to listen ...

1. Eddy Ito
        Facepalm

Re: Hold it?

I would imagine they would put the speaker on the inside of the wrist so the user merely looks to have a headache which would also account for why they are speaking to unseen voices.

"No, I can't do that now. [...] You don't understand I'm on a bus with 50 people, how do you expect me to... [...] yes [...] yes [...] Oh very well but this is all just going to be a bloody mess!"

6. Mark Simon

A bit late …

By now it should have a wrist TV - I assume that means face time for some users. And what about the magnetic space coupe?

7. ElReg!comments!Pierre

I'm assuming voice commands and bluetooth

But maybe I'm just being too practical/unfunny for this here audience?

8. JDX Gold badge

Keypad on a watch?

You mean like Casio had on those nerdy calculator watches?

Maybe a watch would be better as a feature/dumbphone rather than simply trying to squash a smartphone into a different form factor. Sort of like how Apple didn't try to make the iPod Nano/shuffle use the same UI as larger versions.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Keypad on a watch?

"Maybe a watch would be better as a feature/dumbphone rather than simply trying to squash a smartphone into a different form factor"

Au contraire, mon ami . The "smartphone" part is the part that would entail the voice command recognition part which, in conjunction with the bluetoth headset, would make the think usable (for some definition of "usable", depending on the implementation. YMMV, IMHO, IANAL, RFLMAO, WTF)

"Sort of like how Apple didn't try to make the iPod Nano/shuffle use the same UI as larger versions."

I don't get the parallel; I can see how it works on the size angle, but as for the UI are you advocating a return to the casio-style watches that you seemed to diss in your first sentence? Or a morse-style dialing method on a simple 1-button design? I can't really see either realistically taking off except with nerds (hey, this morse thing, I'd buy it if it's cheap enough. Typing the number then the SMS is morse, nerd-tastic!)

1. JDX Gold badge

My point was the nano (or is it shuffle) kept a touch screen but didn't try to cram the normal OS and apps into a tiny screen. Rather they designed a special UI for tiny screens. It is not hard to envisage a touch UI on a watch screen usable for entering phone numbers, and it is certainly not hard to imagine being able to swipe through your contacts or otherwise select who to call. OTOH, SMS maybe not. But a device which is a combination phone-fitness gadget could do OK, given the success of FitBit et al.

1. 's water music
          Joke

Continuing the phone as ipod shuffle metaphor it could just have a green 'phone button which would place a call to one of your contacts. No real need for a speaker since it is more important to share your own opinions than to listen to the second party. Maybe a >> button to jump to another contact if you don't like the one selected by the device and maybe even a premium version with a TOGTFO button as well. Hang on, that's chat roulette isn't it.

2. Sir Sham Cad

I had a watch that doubled as a Pac-Man game (the one on the far right here: http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Nelsonic/PacMan.htm). I never had any problem using the buttons whilst it was on my wrist, much to the annoyance of my R.E. teacher.

9. Mage Silver badge

I can't remember

How long ago was the first GSM watch phone? Long before even iPod.

TV (using belt pack on first model), Radio, even Walkie Talkies have been done. None successful.

BT earpiece and Wrist BT monitor to an existing phone seems more useful, esp. on battery life.

Rather than links contain batteries a solid flexible fat strap can contain a single more efficient LiPo cell. Though I suppose if it goes wrong you may be in queue for a Bionic hand.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung

Throw enough cheap plastic crap at the wall and some of it will stick. Another failure beckons

1. james 68

Re: Samsung

yeah like their cheap plastic failure they call the galaxy... oh wait right theyre outselling EVERYONE else.

i try not to make fun of the developmentally challenged but viewing success as failure is just plain retarded.

1. JDX Gold badge

Having one successful product proves what exactly?

1. james 68

well according to apple fanbois it means they get to call other businesses success's failures.

2. NumptyScrub

Yeah, Samsung now have 2 wrist-mounted tech gadgets (one is already a retail product, the other now being confirmed) before Apple have even announced their first.

Of course, once Apple actually do release theirs, naturally the iWatch will single-handedly define the market for smartwatches, and Samsung's first-to-market devices will be considered cheap copies etc. etc.

As long as any watch device has bluetooth and a headset jack you'll be able to make calls without holding your wrist to your face; I know people who use their iPhone earbuds as a hands-free kit, and it's not like existing watches are too small to fit a 2.5mm jack on. If fashionistas are happy to wear chunky Breitling or Patek Phillipe timepieces on their wrist, you can bet smartwatch manufacturers can get away with something a similar size and put a decent battery in it, as long as it is considered fashionable.

11. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Meh

Huh?

Maybe I'm getting techno-jaded, but I really can't see the point.

12. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Most commentards....

...seem to be ass-u-me-ing that a wristphone has to be a smartphone which will need some very clever battery arrangement to get enough power to drive some multi-core CPU/GPU, colour screen and run all the apps a hand held smartphone runs.

Maybe it will just be a phone.

1. Phil W
      Joke

Re: Most commentards....

I don't get it? How can it be a phone if it doesn't have a colour screen and run apps? That's what phones are for, if it doesn't have those things what does it do?

(See icon)

13. Ascylto

As usual, Slamdung will wait until it's done properly by Apple then copy it but they will be able to say "We did it first" only they'll say it in Korean. THEN they'll sue Apple. But Apple will have the last laugh because it will have rounded corners!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought these watches had been long available on sites like Chinavasion, or am I missing something here?

15. proud2bgrumpy

What I want....

A Wrist Phone with mic & speaker on a ring/thimble attachment to my little finger & thumb respectively to allow the international *call-me* mime/gesture to become the real thing...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like