back to article I'LL BE APP! Apple renews LiquidMetal contract, Terminator rumours flood interwebs

Apple has extended its partnership with a firm called LiquidMetal, making it more than likely its eponymous alloy will be used in some upcoming iThing. Sadly, this exciting-sounding material won't actually allow the fruity firm to create shape-shifting Terminators because its uses are likely to be far more prosaic. So far, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Individual #6/42

Grognard

Can I have my psion 3mx form factor if they can make adequate hinges?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised people do not use titanium more - sure it's harder to mill / manufacture but it's a fantastic material - but guess for phones aluminium is more than sufficient - still light and hard enough.

Either is better than creaky plastic.

1. t.est

Apple had a computer, the Powerbook G4 Titanium, the hinges cracked on it.

As a side affect some airlines did prohibit it as the x-ray would not reveal anything inside them

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They must have a use for it bigger than a hinge

They are spending $10 million a year or something like that for the exclusivity contract. They've renewed it twice now, so there must be something they're working on a bit more important than that.

Interesting that it is only renewed for a year this time though, I wonder if they're trying to light a fire under Liquid Metal's feet to resolve whatever manufacturability issues there must be that are preventing it being used for whatever Apple has in mind.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They may not have any use at all.

And keep exclusive license...just to have a exclusive license.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They may not have any use at all.

You could be right - a sort of competitive lock out.

5. Mad Hacker

"Roll on the iHinge. Who ever said that Apple under Tim Cook was dull?"

Lately your negative Apple comments have felt more like trolling but that one was funny. I am an Apple fan but I can laugh at something funny.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only to Feb 2015? Sounds like they're not really using it for anything meaningful and are trying to wind down its use.

7. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Facepalm

So far, Apple has only used LiquidMetal in the SIM card ejector tool for the iPhone 3G.

That's an expensive paperclip. Oh wait, it's a reasonably priced iPaperclip, silly me.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Sadly, this exciting-sounding material won't actually allow the fruity firm to create shape-shifting Terminators

SADLY?!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like