back to article Report: Samsung joining virtual reality race with Galaxy headset

Samsung is reportedly developing a virtual reality headset for use with its Galaxy line of mobile devices. News blog Engadget cited sources close to the company in reporting that the consumer electronics giant is planning to release a headset which would function as a wearable display for Galaxy handsets and tablets. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So

Not long now then, once every other company has released a VR headset, apple will no doubt release one last and then claim that everyone else copied them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So

So, no doubt, you can point out the previous devices Apple released last?

1. Mage Silver badge

Mmm, not last ever exactly, but way after first few

8bit "PC" with I/O slots and keyboard (Apple II)

Bitmapped GUI desktop (Lisa, Mac)

Newton PDA

Pippin Game console

MP3 player

Phone with touch screen

Tablet.

Skinny stylish laptop

Media Streaming box (Apple TV)

Other products ...

iTunes may have been first legal one of it's kind? Not sure as I have zero interest in buying music and games that way.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They weren't "last" with any of those. In fact the term PDA was coined for the Newton, so you got that wrong. Apple have not claimed to have been first in any of the others either. The only real failures on that list are the Pippin and the Newton (arguably a precursor to tablets). As we're here talking about Samsung, a company that has consistency ripped off its competition from inception and one that has plagiarism proudly as part of it's corporate DNA, I fail to see what you are trying to achieve; other than blatantly trolling.

2. Vector

Once again...

Google Glass Is Not Augmented Reality any more than your phone is if you hold it in front of your face.

Speaking of holding your phone in front of your face, why buy this new gadget when, with a little optical hardware like the Durovis Dive, you can turn your phone gadget into a VR headset for probably a lot less money?

1. frank ly

Re: Once again...

Could you please briefly explain what 'augmented reality' is and why Google Glass doesn't provide it?

I remember reading about the Durovis Dive, which seems like a cheap and cheerful and clever way of getting Occulus Rift functionality, but maybe not Occulus Rift quality. After those two, I'd have thought that the only other patentable things would be 'software patents' to perform certain functions - cue court cases between Apple, Samsung, Google and others.

1. Vector

From Wikipedia (Augmented reality) : " Augmented reality (AR) is a live direct or indirect view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented (or supplemented) by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data."

Generally speaking, augmented reality is implemented as an overlay on what you are seeing to provide more information about your environment (think Terminator). Google Glass, on the other hand, is simply a small screen in your peripheral vision which can be used in much the same way you use your phone, ie: retrieving texts or getting the weather. These are two very different things.

1. frank ly
          Thumb Up

Thank you. Obvious when explained simply and clearly.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Durivos Dive - personally I'm waiting for the VrAse (Varse to me) - looks like it will be much better quality and have less issues with light leakage and should be around the same price.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like