back to article Apple vows to squash iMessage SMS-KILLER

Apple has 'fessed up to an iMessage problem that occasionally clobbers iPhone-toting fanbois if they use non-iOS mobes and vowed to fix it. The long-standing iMessage issue means that people who change to using another device which doesn't have iMessage – such as one running OS Android – may not receive all of their text …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Rose
    Megaphone

SMS Problems?

If your friends are having problems receiving your text messages, it's because you're the last one with an iPhone.

Bin it off, switch to Android...get WhatsApp...sorted.

1. R 11

Re: SMS Problems?

WhatsApp? Don't Facebook know enough personal info? I really don't want to be reliant on a propriety messaging system as a replacement for SMS.

What's needed is a widely adopted internet based text messaging platform that supports public key encryption. Keys could easily be shared these days using QR codes or by NFC. Then a private message could be exactly that - private.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Bin it off, switch to Android...get WhatsApp...sorted."

But then you can't filter out the oiks through ignoring the green speech bubbles.

3. PJI
      Facepalm

And someone who recommends WhatsApp expects us to take their suggestions seriously?

1. Ben Rose
        Angel

I live for downvotes.

4. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Bin it off

Do what?

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

I'm sure all those who, in the thread about the lawsuit on this particular issue, stridently insisted that the problem didn't exist will now issue gracious retractions of their comments, and apologies if appropriate!

1. Mage Silver badge

I for one

Didn't think it was a conspiracy to block people switching, just a piece of arrogant stupidity,

It's good their ego isn't too inflated and they can admit it and now address it.

3. MiguelC Silver badge

The wonders a lawsuit does

This promise of a bug fix as nooothinnng to do with it, for sure!

1. Oninoshiko

Re: The wonders a lawsuit does

And everyone wonders why Americans sue, it gets things done.

(although it's sad that some companies are so anti-consumer-friendly they it takes those types of measures)

2. Eddy Ito

Re: The wonders a lawsuit does

Yep, sometimes it even makes everyone wonder.

4. James 100

Been there, done that

I had this for a while (switched from iThing to a Nexus for a while, then discovered half my incoming messages were getting delivered to my iPad instead). Quite irritating really.

Then I found MightyText on Android, which was very nice (get your SMSs relayed to their server for web access, send replies through the web site which your phone relays out again) - nice, but of course not available for iOS, so I lost that when moving back. (Until later this year, when I move to a mobile network which routes all the SMS traffic through my own server, which could be nice...)

5. Silviu C.

And all it took for them to fix the stupid bug was a lawsuit... douchebags!

1. returnmyjedi

Quick! Someone sue them for all the WiFi and freezing phone issues that gave dogged every iteration since the iPhone 3GS.

1. dogged

pardon?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

me mate will do it for 10 grand

yep,

10 grand and you get Android iMessage.

Yes, something that works in the none narrow www will put Apple in a proper fix.

7. JLV
    Meh

not the only bug with iMessage

I turned off iMessage because it was buggy.

I had no data plan at the time and, if I was off wifi, I would get the text via SMS in iMessage.

Once I got to a hotspot, I would get the text again. Complete with new message notifications.

Kept on thinking it was a glitch in one of the iOS updates, but it never went away with any refresh, so I took it out. Besides, I was on unlimited texts anyway.

Turns out doing that was fortuitous, given that I got a Nexus 5* later.

Other iMesses?

- losing all my MP3s due to an iTunes change and user error on my end.

- getting locked out of all my photos due to iPhoto version incompatibilities. & user error. Picasa can get them out, but what a mess.

Warning:

Apple's iProggies have the tendency to "database away" files instead of leaving them where they belong, on the file system. This is probably one of the more dangerous risks of Apple lock-in and I will be much more careful about relying on them henceforth.

*Not so much sworn off Apple as I wanted to walk on the grass on the other side of the fence for a while to check it out. Both have their pros and cons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not the only bug with iMessage

Not getting iMessage texts with no data plan isn't a bug... Apple converts your "texts" to data. If you don't have a data plan, you really shouldn't have a smartphone, much less be using iMessage.

8. Smiles

Alternative

Hangouts seems to work perfectly, mixing SMS and data messages, adding free video chat and is cross-platform, meaning I can be chatting on the laptop, then just pick up my mobile when I go to make a cup of tea.

Switched when FB bought Whatsapp, never looked back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternative

This. Hangouts integrating SMS was nice, but even GoogleTalk as it existed before was good. I've been using it to manage my developers in India for quite a while.

9. Arctic fox
    Trollface

Oh right, just a little accident then, no harm meant.........

"Cupertino's problems were compounded when it experienced a server glitch which prevented Apple users from reliably disabling iMessage from their hardware before exchanging it for another device from outside Apple's walled garden."

.......nothing to see here, move along now.*

*Yes, if you think that I am being satirical you'd be right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like