back to article Expulsion from Garden of Steven: Apple staffers tossed out of Fruit Loop

It you work for Apple, you're probably very excited about the supersized "spaceship" headquarters set to touch down in Cupertino. But don't get ahead of yourself, because almost 1,500 unlucky employees are set to be sidelined into a boring-looking group of office buildings on the side of a dual carriageway. Apple is planning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BoldMan

Is it located above a Hellmouth?

Doh silly me, its Apple we're talking about, the ultimate definition of Hell!

3... 2... 1...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Progress

""If there is a word to describe Sunnyvale and Silicon Valley, it is evolution,"

Without a hint of intelligent design.

1. sandman

Re: Progress

Evolution in action...

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Evolution?

I was thinking of the word "traffic." I'd estimate that 75% of drive time on a major road in Sunnyvale or Mountain View is spent behind the red light of an empty intersection. (I was going to use the STOP sign icon but those would be much more efficient)

1. Crazy Operations Guy
        Thumb Up

Re: Traffic

That assumes you aren't still stuck in the sea of tail lights that is the highway. During the time I was there, it would have been faster for me to walk than to drive on 101 at rush hour.

3. jai

and the award for managing to showhorn the pun "fruit loop" the most times into one article goes to....

4. Steve Todd

They can't all be engineers and designers

So what's wrong with putting other divisions in remote offices. I've worked for at least two or three companies where they had outlying offices that they put admin types into.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They can't all be engineers and designers

because it makes those people feel unwanted and 2nd rate?

Any consolation, our branch offices are nicer than our horrible head office.

1. frank ly

If they were real engineers, they could be creative and kick-ass anywhere. They're not engineers, they're 'user experience imagineers'. (Grumpy old engineer mode: Off. Oh, .. I can't turn it off...)

2. Daedalus

The trouble is that finance, marketing, and admin, the political heart of the corporation, tend to cluster around the fireplace and shunt the productive people to the cold parts of the room. Fruit Loop Central will therefore be where powerful people do nothing worthwhile except pursue their own interests.

This is where Apple becomes Just Another Big Corporation.

1. Don Jefe

Working inside a giant marketing exercise is the fucking pits if you've got a job that requires applied thought. An engineer, software developer or product designer that actually likes the work they do will probably continue to enjoy it longer if they aren't a zoo attraction. Which is what those fancy headquarters buildings are, a zoo with two purposes, neither if which involve the people working in them.

The first is straightforward, it's for institutional investors and partners (like contract manufacturers) and vendors to come to get beat over the head with how business savvy (company) is: 'We know our shit and we are really good at it. Doing business with us is smart'.

The second purpose is far more devilish. They want young talent to come there and be awed by their surroundings and work for less money than they really should. The whole thing is similar to a hotel brochure, the pictures are always nicer than the real thing, and once you get there it's easier just to stay. It works too. The costs of that fancy building are amortized over extremely long periods of time, but employee salary never stops increasing. It's a fuckofalot cheaper to build a fancy office than pay skilled staff top dollar.

Having done my time as a zoo exhibit I can tell you that the real work isn't done in the building with the ball pit, pingpong table and gym. It's done in places 'normal' people would find boring as shit. But that's just because they don't really know what they're looking at. That's fine, they don't have to know, but that's where the big work, big money and big influence are at. The kids are in the ball pit, the people who give zero fucks about their workspace and are there to make a lot of money come and go through the side doors into little beige offices and work. It doesn't matter to them because at 5PM they are going to zip away in their Ferrari and go to fancy bars and big homes. Maybe take three weeks of their six weeks of vacation and go to New Zeland for cocaine and a penguin egg omelette each morning.

It's a lot better that way. Unless you're an executive doing executive stuff all day you really, really do not want to be the equivalent of some assholes exotic pet he invites people over to see. It's a pain in the ass. It gets in the way of doing your work, and it's humiliating: 'Go ahead, ask him a math question. Do that thing where you make a bunch of squares a big circle'. Yeah, fuck you.

Some people get off on being in the fancy office. That's cool if that's what they're in it for. But if you're not an administrative person, if you're an applied knowledge professional the view is better from the little building down the way where nobody fucks with you.

5. Arctic fox
    Windows

This was a windup post - what on earth did you expect?

The opportunity to extract the urine was clearly irresistible for El Reg and its subbies. Did you expect anything else?

6. Frankee Llonnygog

Or, to summarise

Apple opens additional office space.

I've seen more exciting news items

1. Craig 2

Re: Or, to summarise

Apple have make a song and dance about the futuristic design, environmentally friendly, "great-place-to-work" features of their new flagship HQ, but the reality (as always with these mega-corporation announcements) is a load of people shoe-horned into a box shaped office block.

I love that kind of hypocrisy :)

"I've seen more exciting news items"

I've seen much more exciting comments...

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: I've seen much more exciting comments...

Seldom with a Submit button underneath, I'd say

2. HCV

Re: Or, to summarise

But, FRUIT LOOP! Because it's FUNNY! *throws confetti*

7. graeme leggett Silver badge

So the glamorous techies and visionary designers hang together in the new we're-(nearly)-all-in-it-together-mothership, and the poor sods that arrange for their salaries to get paid, order in toilet bleach, and schedule the window cleaners live in a neo-brutalist bloc.

Except the pictures show that seing as it is in Californ-i-ay, it looks pleasantly balmy, and airy, and stucco-ed instead of concrete.

8. frank ly

"Google has also expanded into Sunnyvale ..."

Has anyone figured out what will happen if Googlematter and Applematter meet and interact?

1. ItsNotMe
      Devil

Re: "Google has also expanded into Sunnyvale ..."

"Has anyone figured out what will happen if Googlematter and Applematter meet and interact?"

Yep...more lawsuits.

1. Don Jefe

ItsNotMe is correct. When two huge companies get too close together a variation of neutron spalling occurs but instead of some neutrons spalling off, medium size law firms spall off. This would work better if ASCII drawings didn't hurt my head, but I'll demonstrate as best I can below.

So we've got two big companies, each represented by a 0 and physical distance between their outermost stable orbits represented by - In this example, Google and Apple would look like this in the beginning:

0--------0

As the companies grow it looks like this:

0-------0

0-----0

0---0

0-0

This medium simply doesn't have the resolution to show it properly, but the space between the two 00 is filled with law firms and looks kind of like this (=) except the tops are joined. Kind of like the form submission buttons on this web page.

Because the ASCII medium doesn't support modeling it's hard to demonstrate correctly, but the two companies with tons of law firms in between (=) has three dimensions. Since I can't rotate the model I'll make do with what I've got. I'm sure you'll understand. Our two companies and the law firms (=) looks something like this when viewed from below 8--->

That view is the most accurate representation, no matter how you render it, because that's how the consumer is nearly always going to see it: 8---> coming down for a nice smack across the mouth or when they are looking backwards and up between their legs as they bend over to pick up the $700 phone that just broke after falling 2' to a carpeted floor.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Hopefully total annihilation of both, resulting in Nirvana for the rest of us.

Failing that, Paris for first US Woman President.

One must live in hope.

3. JohnnyHands

Yes, they're called "contractors."

9. David Austin

"outgrown its Infinite Loop"

Language is funny.

10. NoneSuch Silver badge

Fixed it for you.

"If there is a word to describe Sunnyvale and Silicon Valley, it is evolution," added Jennifer Garnett, a spokeswoman for the city of Sunnyvale.

Should be...

"If there is a word to describe Sunnyvale and Silicon Valley, it is tax revenue," added Jennifer Garnett, a spokeswoman for the city of Sunnyvale.

1. dogged

Re: Fixed it for you.

Are you suggesting that Apple and Google pay tax?

11. Gannon (J.) Dick

Maybe ...

... they could auction off the space in the HQ Space. Of course with the no poaching contracts no mere engineer riff-raff could possibly aspire to the Fruit Loop, but unless you give them hope of eventual manumission they will eat, but they won't breed. The few nerds who know how to breed, anyway.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"nestling in a forest glade"

Sounds like someone is a wee jealous of the offices of a certain company in Redmond, WA....

13. pierce
    Trollface

more likely, marketing and executives get the fancy new Fruit Loop, actual product engineers get sent to outer suburbia.

14. Charles Manning

So.... no real difference then?

Apple already only houses a fraction of its Cupertino employees in Infinite Loop. Most of the buildings over the other side of North De Anza Blvd were fruity when I was last there (2008).

15. disgruntled yank

Wow

Next you'll tell me that not all Apple employees wear black turtlenecks.

16. Herby

Maybe executives want...

...to be on the "top floor" and survey their dominion. Loopville and spaceship don't have altitude. Loopville is only two floors (ground, 2nd floor, US conventions). I don't know where Tim Cook will park himself.

Now where are those charge stations??

17. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Will they at least

be given clothes of skin when they are sent away?

I take it that a cherubim and a flashing swordforce-shield at the eastern entrance to prevent them from getting back is a given...

18. kmac499

Architecural Patent Troll required..

Job Advert..

Legal Eagle with Architectural background and international patent trolling skills required for long term contract..

Our Client ( It's GCHQ but we're not allowed to tell you that.) wishes to defend the intellectual property of a dough nut shaped office building..

Our client asserts that D'oh Nut archictecture promotes collaboration with out 'imposing' a heirarchy..(no corner office syndrome)

The central picnic\meeting space allows for private intra-organisation discussions and frisbee championships.

Our client asserts that a circular building with a central flag pole negates the need for office clocks as all employees can agree on the time of day based on the flag pole shadow on the numbers inscribed on the inside of the building. Each floor having a different number scheme to allow for world time zones.

Our client insists that a certain fruit based computer company is pirating this design in attempt to recreate the aura of corporate 'Omerta' due to the high internal visibilty

Our client also claims that the defendant has adopted this design to give an air of other worldliness and alien supremacy. (there is no practical evidence for this.)

All applications with CV, charge rates, and suggested damages claim to PO BOX 0 Cheltenham..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like