back to article Forget phones, BlackBerry's new Project Ion is all about THINGS

With its smartphone sales circling the drain, beleaguered BlackBerry has announced Project Ion, a set of initiatives aimed at delivering services and infrastructure for everyone's favorite hot-button buzzword, the Internet of Things (IoT). The project was unveiled in a brief presentation at the O'Reilly Solid conference on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Project I On ........ I Kid U Not

Third, BlackBerry plans to get more involved in the IoT landscape – among other things, by joining industry groups such as the Industrial Internet Consortium and the Application Developer Alliance.

When that is Blackberry creating and consumer drivering a phorm of SMARTR New Orderly World Order ProgramMING in Virtually Sustainable Advanced IntelAIgent Remote Support Projects with Relatively Anonymous Autonomous Active IT Delivering an Absolute Virtual Machine Hegemony to Novel and Noble Universal Command and Control Systems of Future Operation, then is it as surefire a winner as anything can be in this landscape/virtual team terrain and in these changed days and new ways with means and memes of the Internet of Things, Ye Olde IoT Thing …….. because some, which can be a few which be many and just enough to be perfectly able and enabling, are experienced and supply all of the benefits, without the pitfalls and sub-prime ponzi market flash crashes of corrupted and compromised information feeds and seeds, with better beta intelligence leading with hindsight ….. Definite Vision.

And in AI and Virtual Machine Worlds, CyberIntelAIgent Led Hindsight Follows the Future to New Presents for Virtual Realisation and Astute Activation for Memory and History to Subsequently Sequentially Store as Pasts …… which is something to be also shared with Alec Saunders and Virtual Terrain Training Team Blackberry and Project Ion today, seeing as how they were so kind and smart enough to ask ……..

In the meantime, Saunders says he welcomes comment from customers. “Will IoT change everything?" he wrote. "Visit blackberry.com/project-ion to tell us what IoT means to you or how you're using it today."

And do you think Blackberry ask themselves too ……. Does running IT make you the governor or the governed?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Project I On ........ I Kid U Not

Job done, en goed gedaan ....... And now we wait

Introducing Project Ion – a series of initiatives from BlackBerry that will enable customers to realize their vision for the Internet of Things. Project Ion includes partnerships with market leaders, an ecosystem to foster innovation and a cloud-based product from QNX Software Systems designed to enable greater levels of simplicity, scalability, and security in IoT solutions.

Thanks for your interest in Project Ion. We'll email you more information once it's available.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"en goed gedaan"

Is your native language Low German/Nederlands/Dutch? Because, if it is, I think you should ask for your money back from your "teach yourself English" course.

1. Irongut

He's a man from Mars so clearly his native language is Martian. That heshe can manage to speak any Earthly language is an achievement in itself.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just bubbles from the sinking ship....

1. strum

>Just bubbles from the sinking ship....

We're far too quick to dismiss a fallen giant.

It seems like only yesterday MicroSoft were the biggest, baddest giant on the tech scene. Now we laugh at them (as they count their billions).

Nokia were once the daddy of the phone market, now all they've got is one of the best map systems (by all accounts), some of the best techie brains in Europe and oodles of money from MS.

BBS were so important, a new word ('crackberry') had to be coined to describe their phenomenal control of their market. Now... Well, maybe they do have a little gem in QNX. Maybe it is just the thing for IoT. Maybe some of us will have to swallow our dismissive words.

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Devil

The trick, Saunders said, is that these days,

Is not letting people know Blackberry has bought it, so we still have some value.

I think that was the quote he was looking for, BB and Windoze fone are fighting for the toilet bottom at the moment, so you probably don't want your device associated in anyway with the company. Plus Apple are moving into cars etc. so that has already got the industry spooked.

1. Irongut

Re: The trick, Saunders said, is that these days,

iOS is to QNX as the flint axe is to a precision laser cutter.

1. Zane
        FAIL

Re: The trick, Saunders said, is that these days,

While QNX is quite impressive, iOS is not lightyears away from it.

In fact, QNX in a device would have been a reason for me to buy the device.

That is - was a good reason until now.

/Zane

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

QNX popularity

Is that on the rise though? Or even stable for that matter?

From what I've seen in the industries I'm involved in, it *was* extremely popular on stuff designed up to about 8-10 years ago, at which point it started to be replaced by real-time versions of Linux.

My impression (which I don't claim to be correct) was that its popularity could be attributed to lack of competition in the embedded RT OS market rather than any intrinsic advantage offered by QNX. I would love for someone with deeper knowledge of the industry to contribute their views, though.

This topic is closed for new posts.