back to article Malware-as-a-service picks Android apart

Quite possibly the most expensive and capable Android malware the world has yet seen is for sale at $US5000 on underground markets, replete with software-as-a-service support. The iBanking malware has evolved from a simple SMS-stealer to a highly capable application that records audio within the range of a device's microphone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. btrower

No MaaS

EOM

1. phil dude
      Linux

Re: No MaaS

huh?

P.

1. jake Silver badge

@phil dude (as: Re: No MaaS)

Probably a play on "no mas", Spanish for "no more".

Not certain on the point being made by the OP.

The bottom line on this so-called "malware" is that it is socially engineered[1] user-installed code, and not really a bug in the Fandroid platform.

[1] For small values of social engineering, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @phil dude (as: No MaaS)

"and not really a bug in the Fandroid platform."

But there have been plenty of those - and many big holes - it's just that the crappy security model of Android means that they don't even need to bother with an exploit....

1. Oninoshiko

Re: @phil dude (as: No MaaS)

Pick a platform that hasn't had plenty. The most solid is probably Blackberry's QNX-platform, but we haven't seen that in phones for long (or many phones, for that matter), just cars.

2. Chairo
    WTF?

All those steps required?

And the victims don't even realize they are being screwed? To install this, they have to go to the security settings and activate untrusted sources + accept the warning shown.

How gullible can one be?!? People never cease to amaze me!

1. Jimboom

Re: All those steps required?

I was wondering the exact same thing. If anyone does happen to fall for this they have zero sympathy from me as they effectively did it to themselves!

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Make a "warez" app-store, that has this app bundled into every download, then publicise it on message boards.

People will disable every kind of security measure if you convince them that those checks are only put there by "The Man" to stop them getting stuff for free...

2. RyokuMas
      Mushroom

Well, considering the 90+ percent piracy rate on Android, even for games and apps that cost a dollar or less, it strikes me that most Android users are willing to jump through hoops and muck about with lots of things in order to cheat the developer out of their earnings get free stuff. And with the majority of smartphone users being from a non-tech background, I'd imagine it's relatively easy to manipulate someone into making their phone insecure: "Get [Game X] for FREE! Follow these simple instructions!" sort of thing...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Then lets have Google remove it, but then Amazon will cry foul, as that piracy hole is needed for Amazon apps and malware.

2. thesykes

"considering the 90+ percent piracy rate on Android"

perhaps you should read the article to which you link, there's a sentence in there you should understand.. "the statistics are from one game developer's experience, and shouldn't be extrapolated across the entire Android app industry"

In my sample of 1 Android phone, there is 0% piracy. I'm not stupid enough to use a sample of one and claim it as representative of the entire Android world, you would do well to apply similar logic.

1. Oninoshiko

In my sample of 1 Android phone, there is 0% piracy. I'm not stupid enough to use a sample of one and claim it as representative of the entire Android world, you would do well to apply similar logic.

If we take our phones together, we'll have 50% of phones are rooted, and still 0% of phones have pirated software!

3. Fuh Quit
      Paris Hilton

XP still has around 500 million users. I would expect a good proportion of those would likely fall victim to something like this.

If anyone remembers the joke .exe many years ago which would throw up a dialog box telling you to "Click OK to Continue" - and said box would dart around the screen avoiding your mouse pointer. That for me sums up many people using technology.

Paris - because I'm sure she'd do the same if I tried to *click* on her :D

3. Crazy Operations Guy

With the proliferation of malware on Smart phones now, I think I might just dig my old Palm Pilot (Tungsten W) with phone functionality from the drawer and use it instead...

1. RyokuMas
      Childcatcher

Alternatively...

... just get a non-Android smartphone.

Seriously, just feed "smartphone malware" into Google and search. Virtually every result on the first page is exclusively about Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternatively...

If you can't install software to search for malware, how do you know you haven't got any?

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Alternatively...

I already use an non-android device, and yet there are still security vulnerabilities and malware.

Every platform sucks for one reason or another. With Apple you are pretty much just renting it from them; Android is highly variable between manufacturers and TelCos; Windows Phone means that if I want to have work e-mail on my phone, the phone is now pretty much property of my company; and Blackberry might not be around tomorrow. And all of these platform have security vulnerabilities, Android is just prevalent so it gets reported more often.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like