back to article Waterfront flats plan for IBM's UK HQ as housing market goes bananas

Office space leased by IBM at its UK headquarters could become waterfront apartments – if a planning application submitted to Portsmouth City Council is approved. The North Harbour Unit Trust, which filed the paperwork, wants a ”partial change of use to 108 residential units" at Big Blue's base in the Lakeside development on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see

108 Magnolia coloured 2 bedroom box flats

2. DuncanL

For IBM staffers

it would bring a whole new meaning to working from home...

3. John Styles

I thought you meant the South Bank office

Bet that would fetch a penny or two.

1. Nick Dyer

Re: I thought you meant the South Bank office

South Bank is owned & rented to IBM by Sir Alan Sugar, IIRC

1. John Styles

Re: I thought you meant the South Bank office

Kudos to Sir Alan if he managed to buy it off a short-sighted IBM and then rent it back. But wouldn't it be worth buying them out of the lease and flogging it off as flats?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Belfast Office

I see they've moved out of the Belfast city centre office too, would fetch a few penny.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Belfast Office

Must be corporate policy; Edinburgh has also moved out of the centre.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Belfast Office

Only as far as the EICC though.

5. Warm Braw

It will all end in tears!

This gives me the idea for a great business model - get your employees to pay to buy your office space at an inflated residential value, force them to provide a "home office" for your business at their own expense and escape any liability for business rates at the same time!

Offer them a mortgage that can only be redeemed by hours worked and the balance of their wages in tokens for the company shop and you have the perfect vision of future employment.

1. Bronek Kozicki
      Joke

Re: It will all end in tears!

shut the ***up! There are more than few bosses you have just given ideas you know.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The application suggests nobody wants office space on the scale IBM will vacate

How about BAE systems when Scotland vote for independence and they need to move all those submarines and ships

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The application suggests nobody wants office space on the scale IBM will vacate

Don't forget Standard Life's and RBS's lovely offices as well.

7. Ben Bonsall

Heh, 20 years ago I did work experience in that office... Writing BI rules for an as/400, and after hours, a mouse-move-to-plotter-pen driver for OS2 :)

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Hmmmm...... housing!

"But, as he said, this is a well-targeted scheme and it has helped tens of thousands of people get on the housing ladder and to have mortgages.

The shadow chancellor, Ed Balls, said the Help to Buy scheme was simply too high: "We've said it should come down much closer to average house prices. A number below £400,000 would make much more sense than £600,000 which is far too big a house price for the taxpayer to be guaranteeing mortgages. "

9. Truth4u

COMRADE

Make Building Complex 9000 your home, for a better future, today!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The local news story is a over a month old and relates to the mothballing of some of the buildings recently. The change of use plans cover practically all that is left IBM if you look at the site plan.

11. GreyWolf

Anybody seen IBM hanging out with BT lately?

BT have been trying to get planning permission for 2000 houses on the Adastral Park site, estimated worth to BT £300 million +.

12. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Whats missing

here is that the building is stuck right next to the M27 motorway, across from which is the tipner landfill.

Plus a couple of other major roads.

Still easy access to the local traffic jams, although if you work at IBM too, no excuse for being late in the morning....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Whats missing

And you think that stops the gullible?

Some people are so blinkered by new builds and a scared of a bit of hard work, they overlook the older ones, with bigger gardens, better areas and a lot better built.

I know this for a fact as where I live houses back onto the M42 and near where I used to live several years ago they are virtually under the M5.

Yes the old area is a crap hole:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.485972,-2.023418,3a,75y,7.53h,83.46t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s33Wr7QwKiEqe93no6AvUrw!2e0

13. Down not across
    Coat

Building Complex 9000

Will it all be controlled by Housing Automation Logic 9000?

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Part of the greater plan to severely mess up the economy?

The U.K. government is now doing exactly the same thing as the Dutch government has been doing: pumping money into the housing market. This drives up prices to an unrealistic high, stimulating people to buy, because it will keep rising, until it won't.

Then you have lots of people stuck with high mortgages, that cannot sell their house (overpriced and the seller can't lower the price because they need to somehow pay off the mortgage) and then suddenly the market collapses, banks topple and need to be saved by the government.

What a great plan, gaining some short-term financial growth for long-term crisis. My compliments to the U.K. government for making the right decision here!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like