back to article Tech sector still loves its slaves: study

They avoid paying tax at the top, and avoid paying workers at the bottom: a new study into the supply practises of the tech sector finds most participants don't know where their materials come from and don't really seem to care. That's what emerges from a Baptist World Aid report that scored 39 kit suppliers – covering all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. veti Silver badge

Baptist World Aid gets a D for transparency

As an unabashed Nokia fan, I'm glad to see them coming top in something...

... eh, what's that? They got the same rating as Apple, despite two clear advantages? How does that work then?

I'm trying to read the full report, but every time I try to download it, it just demands my email again. Then it invites me to make a "donation". There's a link that implies the report will be emailed to me, but it doesn't do anything.

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Baptist World Aid gets a D for transparency

veti - There was a bug with the site earlier, which they've now fixed.

Richard Chirgwin

2. Hephaestus

Re: Baptist World Aid gets a D for transparency

I just clicked the bottom link to "download full report" and it downloaded the pdf. Did not have to fill in any details at all.

2. Charles Manning

Meanwhile...

The labourers clamour for these jobs because the other jobs are WORSE! From a perspective of an employee, these are often excellent jobs.

If tech kit manufacturers are getting Ds, you can bet your bottom dollar that toothbrush manufacturers should be getting Fs.

But these agencies know how to spin PR. Apple is BAD gets a lot of hits, a broom manufacturer doesn't.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Meanwhile...

The jig is up Margaret Thatcher! This time we're going to separate your hosts body and put the pieces in dispersed coal pits at undisclosed locations to keep you trapped. I've already cleared the plan, the pits weren't being used anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

@Charles Manning - "The labourers clamour for these jobs because the other jobs are WORSE! From a perspective of an employee, these are often excellent jobs."

Some of the manufacturing and packaging jobs, yes. But one thing the group is saying is that many of the minerals being used are being extracted from the ground via slave labor, and it's in the big company's best interests to "not know" about it. I doubt too many workers are clamoring to become slave laborers.

1. Don Jefe

Of course they're not clamoring to be slaves. They're clamoring to survive. Job quality is rather irrelevant if the alternative is a lingering death from starvation and exposure. Better to die on your feet than die hungry in a ditch.

It's a pretty bullshit choice and it's even worse if that choice is a manufactured convenience. I'm not sure what to do about it all, but I'm certain a self appointed proxy for Jesus doesn't know either.

3. P. Lee

The difference is that Apple makes enormous profits and can easily afford to do the right thing. As noted, the manufacturing costs are a tiny percentage of sell-price. It's those pretty shops and creepy staff that raise the prices, but even then, massive profits are still made.

Broom and toothbrush manufacturers, not so much.

For this reason, I'd be happy to buy such things online and convert the retail outlets to sell things I really care about seeing. Fresh food, for example.

3. Denarius
    Unhappy

Cmon, let's hear it again

god botherers interfering with business again. Don't they know the Arab proverb ? "All merchants have the same religion"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like