back to article Microsoft’s 'FIRST NOKIA' arrives at £89

Microsoft’s first phone as the formal owner of the old Nokia phones business is released today. The Lumia 630 will hit UK stores next week priced at £89, hitting the channels on 29 May. Special deals might take it even lower. There’s a lot riding on the luridly coloured cheapie. The 630’s predecessor, the 520, kept Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Might consider this

My continuing struggles with Android make me realise why people like iPhones and Windows. Shit just works, y'know?

On Android I can't set default calendars, can't do 2-way CardDav syncs, browsers (Firefox) crash for no apparent reason, can't get any updates...the list goes on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Might consider this

Android's freedoms are also it's complexity and annoyance.

When I open a video in my Gallery it gives me a choice of about 5 or 6 apps to open it in. Just choice for choice sake.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" it gives me a choice of about 5 or 6 apps to open it in"

Eh? It also clearly asks if you want the choice each time or whether you want to set your choice as the default and not ask you again.

If you have two programs that can open the video installed, wouldn't you want to be asked which one to use? Other platforms will always make you use their homegrown solution regardless of how good it is - if Google forced you to use their offering every time then everyone would be complaining about lack of competition and monopolies etc

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I would rather have the choice (pick the best one, and remember the choice to stop it nagging) that the two other alternatives,

1/ Get an iPhone, and there is no concept of apps being able to open files. It's apple or nothing, there is no way to set alternative data handlers (intents in Android language).#

2/ Get a Windows Phone, there are no apps to open your files full stop. Nobody writes apps for Windows Phone, as it's a failed platform.

3. Richard Plinston

> it gives me a choice of about 5 or 6 apps to open it in

And you probably installed 4 or 5 of them yourself. So which do you want to use ? Choose one, set it as default, then complain that it won't use the others you installed.

2. Jim 59

Welcome to the modern world AC. All devices are, to a greater or lesser extent, a pain in the neck. Doesn't matter what brand, they all come with a system admin overhead. Excuse me I have to go do a firmware upgrade on my garage door opener.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

lol, so true!

3. heyrick Silver badge

@ AC: While I won't deny Android has quirks/issues, I think it only fair to mention that iOS7's calendar is easy to screw up - I was syncing to a Google sunrise/sunset iCal for ages. Last month it went on the fritz and the calendar responded by instantly dying. It is simply not possible to use Bluetooth to send pictures to non Apple devices. The iOS browser crashes too, just less often. There's no Flash support which may be a good thing except when you are looking at an older site that depends upon it.

In defence of iOS, email is lovely, it traps and warns when some open AP tries to pull something like a MitM of SSL sites, and VPN just works.

Bottom line - everything has quirks. It just depends which ones you are happy to live with...

4. Havin_it
      Mushroom

Can't comment on CardDAV but Exchange (mail/calendar/contacts) sync hasn't missed a beat in almost 2 years for me, and that's with a server that's only pretending to be Exchange (but maybe that's the charm: both ends are only speaking the comprehensible parts of the protocol).

As for Firefox, I don't remember a single crash in the same period, and I've used it at least an hour per day throughout, with an average of 4-5 tabs open at all times (more than that and pages don't seem to want to remain in memory and have to reload when you refocus the tab - a bit bothersome but I can accept that there are constraints).

So it turns out your experience isn't normative. Who'd a' thunk it?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You might want to be smarter about what you buy. There are good and bad Android phones, sounds like you have been following sheep into buying bad Androids, and now looking at paying £90 for a bad WIndows Phone (to be fair, ALL windows phones are bad, but a entry level one is particularly ugly).

6. GitMeMyShootinIrons

While I sympathize, such words are heresy to the fandroid faithful.

I note the down arrow inquisition has begun...

1. ThomH

Honestly, I think the article touches on this by mentioning the Motorola and that the AC that mentions needing to apply suitable selection criteria is correct: the low end of Android has included some dreadful handsets. Usually the problem has been underpowered hardware and software thrown together by someone in middle management according to a list of the network-specific and third-party "extra functionality" that needs to be incorporated to get all available subsidies. That's classic landfill Android. There have been good, cheap Android phones about for years — the Orange San Francisco and its successors jump most immediately to my mind — but also plenty of awful ones.

In the last few years Google has done a lot of engineering to make Android a much better fit to modern hardware, with proper use of the GPU as of 4.x being a massive win. So the less powerful hardware is more responsive. In any case all the hardware itself has naturally become a lot cheaper. Users have started to become smarter about shovelware and, regardless, if the hardware itself is cheaper then manufacturers can more easily hit the psychological price points without it.

That's why the article talks about the new Nokia not having as clear a run at the market. The cheap end of the Android market is getting exponentially better every year.

7. Steve Knox
      Meh

Last night I discovered a new game, which I decide to install on both my cheapie Android tablet and my iPhone 5 as the game was available for both platforms.

The Android table gave a cryptic error message when I tried to install the game via Google Play Store. After a bit of researching (using Chrome on the tablet) I determined that I had to delete my account from the tablet, re-add the account, and then all was well.

The iPhone refused to even search for the app on the App Store. Safari was borked as well, so I couldn't research the issue on the phone. Went back to my desktop to research, and found out that I had to restart my phone, then install the latest iOS update, before I could use the App Store again.

So, my experience is that every device has its troubles. Personally, I'm more forgiving of these issues on a $100 tablet than I am on a $500 phone.

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

... can't delete one message in a thread in the default email app, get bitched at every time I turn the GPS on, must have a huge Google search bar taking up a good chunk of my homescreen, can't zoom in/out on maps w/o it spinning around like a drunk in a Porsche...

Etc etc.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've had a Window phone for 3 days, it's crashed 3 times. How does this make it "shit just works"

In this case it's "shit isn't intuitive" and "shit just doesn't work"

1. AlbertH
        FAIL

The clue is in the name.... "Windows phone". Of course it crashes. It's a Microshaft product. It's certain not to work properly.

Interesting fact of the day: Microsoft have NEVER released ANY product that has worked properly. That's a 100% failure rate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No one has ever released a flawless product........... Fact.

Please see below:

Thus spake the master:

"Any program, no matter how small, contains bugs."

The novice did not believe the master's words. "What if the program were so small that it performed a single function?" he asked.

"Such a program would have no meaning," said the master,

"but if such a one existed, the operating system would fail eventually, producing a bug."

But the novice was not satisfied. "What if the operating system did not fail?" he asked.

"There is no operating system that does not fail," said the master, "but if such a one existed, the hardware would fail eventually, producing a bug."

The novice still was not satisfied. "What if the hardware did not fail?" he asked.

The master gave a great sigh. "There is no hardware that does not fail," he said, "but if such a one existed, the user would want the program to do something different, and this too is a bug."

A program without bugs would be an absurdity, a nonesuch. If there were a program without any bugs then the world would cease to exist.

~

Geoffrey James

The Zen of Programming

2. dogged

> Interesting fact of the day: Microsoft have NEVER released ANY product that has worked properly. That's a 100% failure rate

Intellimouse Explorer 3.

You lose, good day, sir.

10. AlbertH

There's no accounting for the stupidity of some users. A teapot would be too technically taxing for that clueless AC!

2. hammarbtyp

A year too late

Probably a year to late. I looked at the 520, both for myself and my siblings, but the fact it was stuck on older unsupported on windows OS put me off. (and lets remember the 520 was so cheap because it was the only way to shift any )

However in terms of spec it had the market to itself. Now however it has to compete with equivalent specced android phones it can no longer use price as a differential.

So buyers need to choose. Do they buy into the Android ecosystem which is a magnitude greater than the equivalent MS one and has a guaranteed future, or plump on for the MS one, where the apps are less likely to be available and the future roadmap is unclear.(I think very few care, or even understand the advantages/disadvantages of the OS)

1. monkeyfish

Re: A year too late

Depends where you get stuck. If stuck on 2.3 plenty of apps don't get updated. Even 4.0 seems to have more app updates that break them now (I'm very wary of updating anything that currently works). Security patches? Pah! You're out of luck if you get stuck on anything other than the latest. We'll have to wait and see if MS gives 8.1 to all 8 devices, and if Moto give any updates at all (they say they will, but they've said that before along with plenty of other droid manufactures that back pedalled as soon as you bought it).

1. msage

Not sure about your point here. MS have said every 8 phone will get an upgrade to 8.1 making the 520 current...

2. MelniboneanAirways
      Facepalm

"but the fact it was stuck on older unsupported on windows OS put me off"

Eh? The 520 runs Windows Phone 8 and can and will run Windows Phone 8.1; mine is rocking the Developer Preview right now.

Just sayin.

3. Kay Burley ate my hamster

"scene-stealing feature"

:D

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(Android phones require more memory).

Presumably all that Google spyware and the malware that they run...

5. Cornholio

One for Mrs Cornholio please

Wifey is a real technophobe, and has never got on with any of the mobile phones that I've provided her with (feature phones, Android, ancient voice and text only devices).

She picked up my Nokia 925 at the weekend and used it without any assistance from me at all. I'll be getting her one of these 630s PDQ.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: One for Mrs Cornholio please

Several of my non-techy friends have bought a WinPho in the last year, and all seem to be getting on ok with it. Interestingly, I've heard less complaints about using Windows on a phone, than I have a bout Win8, despite them being pretty similar.

Perhaps people are more forgiving of learning a new interface on a phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IMO it's because Win8 actually works very well in a small form factor and with a touch screen. My 18 month old daughter can find her way around it to access what she wants.

Microsoft's error (IMO) was to apply look across their whole range. They should've gone with the phone look for phones and tablets, and a more conventional desktop with (for example) a switch-offable tile panel down the right hand side.

2. billdehaan
        Happy

Not much of a surprise there.

I suspect that the main reason that you'd hear fewer complaints about Win8 on a phone or tablet than on a PC is that phone and tablet users are using the swipe metaphor naturally, not struggling to use a keyboard and mouse to emulate it.

People are upset with Win8 not because of the underpinnings of it, or the APIs, but because Microsoft is trying to force PC users to unlearn PC skills and use a phone/tablet interface instead. On the phone, there's no such disconnect.

3. jimbo60

No, not forgiving of learning a new interface on a phone. The 'new' interface is plainly simple to learn (and not really that new or unusual if you've used any other touchscreen phone). And as others have mentioned, that style of interface (call it Metro or whatever) happens to be really well suited to phones. And probably tablets too (I don't have any Win8 tablets to have firsthand experience), or any other device where touch is a natural interface and the use model is mostly single tasking. Let's face it--touch and swiping is pretty natural and common to all flavors of modern smart phones and tablets, whether they be iThings, Android, or WP. I happen to really like the WP live tiles and the hub model, as it saves the need to open more apps and change contexts just to see information, but still, to actually do something other than glance, you touch and/or swipe to get to what you need.

On my desktops I always have lots of multi-tasking going on, I really don't want to touch my vertical LCD screens, and I absolutely don't want anything taking over entire screens unless I tell it to...especially start menus. The upcoming Windows 8.1++ might actually finally get desktop usability back to where is was in Windows 7, but until then it's a non-starter for me. And I love my Nokia phone.

6. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Competition! It should be good for us consumers.

Interesting trends seeing this and Moto-E removing the front facing camera and having "not very good" main cameras, no flash, etc that are OK for quick snaps in good daylight, not great for much else. However a huge chunk of the market don't care for these features (or removable batteries or storage, which will doubtless be screamed about by the usual fanatics) so why should a budget phone have them? Want better or more features... buy a different, or non-budget phone.

7. ukgnome

is it just me...

But this smells of copyright infringement....times 2

the colours look sort of iPhone 5C territory

the capacitive back home and search buttons look a bit Androidy

Is anything original these days?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: is it just me...

Nokia have been doing phones in this sort of colour way before Apple's 5C. In 2011 with the 820 and 920.

Back and search buttons are original? present in web browsers for years.

2. Dave Horn

Of course, since the Lumia series with its brightly coloured cases was released six months prior to the iPhone 5C, your argument stands on thin ground.

3. FlossyThePig

The iPhone 5C colours look sort of Nokia Lumia 520/620 territory to me

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Certainly not the quality of trolling.

5. Jealy

Either this is a joke or you need to vacate the rock you've been living under.

6. Can't think of anything witty...

i think that it is mostly you.

there is a bit of convergence (rounded rectangles with a touchscreen and capacitve buttons on the front and not much on the back) but that is about it.

the three buttons on the bottom are different to on android (though it is a little wierd that the non-google one has a search button on the front, but there you go).

and i don't think that it is fair to accuse Nokia of lifting the bright colours from Apple, having had said bright colours on the back of their lumia range since it was launched at the end of 2011 - long before the 5c came out about 2 years later.

having said that, i know how this works. several people have mistakenly assumed that a friend's lumia 630 is an iPhone 5c...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I miss the 4 non-physical buttons on my Galaxy S2. I dislike the home button being an actual button. Apple not having a back button is laughable.

Anyways. I don't get the neon colors trend. I neither go to raves nor dance in gay pride parades. How about a choice of colors similar to that of cars? Something reasonable, for grown ups.

Putting your phone in colors like this screams children's toy.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I think some people may take exception to your comment about the colours since the iPhone 5C was met with shouts that it was copying the Lumia range who had already been delivering colours (or colors).

Having system keys on the screen does seem a bit Androidy, but I guess that once there was ever a keyboard on a touch-based screen, this was the next logical step.

I think that now Microsoft has finally allowed installing applications to the SD card (why did it take so long!?) these devices can be taken a bit more seriously but the omission of a front facing camera in an age of *selfies seems a little odd.

* I don't take selfies, I'm buck-toothed, butt ugly, bald as an egg and 40.

8. Lars Silver badge
      Joke

Patented colours, that would indeed be Apple. However, the Communists already patented red and the Greens green. Apple was too slow, what a pity.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: colours look sort of iPhone 5C

You mean all colours are now copyrighted crApple??? I think you may find just a little prior-art on that one. I'm sure that "apple" that Adam picked had a colour way back when

1. Gobhicks

Actually it's Adobe who have the exclusive rights to every colour in the visible spectrum. Their lawyers will be in touch soon.

1. Havin_it

>Actually it's Adobe who have the exclusive rights to every colour in the visible spectrum. Their lawyers will be in touch soon.

Nonsense; Adobe, like everyone else who knows what's good for them, license their colours from Pantone®. Not even Apple would go to the mat with their lawyers.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
          Boffin

Re: exclusive rights to every colour in the visible spectrum.

I believe they belong to Messrs. Pantone Inc.

YMMV, but I don't fancy your chances much...

10. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's you.

Nokia's colored polycarbonate cases actually go back at least to the Lumia 800 and 710 phones (Windows Phone 7) in 2011, though they have even more color choices now. Back then the Apple snobs thumbed their noses at plastic cases of any color, clearly preferring broken glass backsides. I vaguely recall Apple press also saying what an awful idea that was at the time, though I may be mixing fan-boy blather with actual Apple press given how long ago that was :-).

8. Bronek Kozicki
    Trollface

Judging by looks it's meant as a competitor to iPhone 5C, but at 20% of price

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iPhone 5C came out way after Nokia was doing coloured polycarbonate phones. Do some research.

1. Bronek Kozicki
        Coat

I do know that. Now check the icon.

9. Robert E A Harvey

Hmmm.

Dual Sim, micro SD. Very tempting. When will the Dual Sim version surface? and will it be 4G?

1. OffBeatMammal

Re: Hmmm.

not sure if the 63* is based on the same hardware as the X (looks very similar).

In the US (at least on T-Mobile) that piece of kit (which is surprisingly nice since the firmware update) doesn't support faster speeds on the network (no 4G/LTE) and no 5Ghz wifi. Personally never had a need for dual SIM but it's neatly done

That said, I've been using the X as my weekend device (smaller, much more pockabable and the battery lasts really well) so if the 630 has similar capabilities (and the more robust WP) I could see this being a pretty solid device.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, looks OK but you'd still have to carry an android phone around too for Tinder, so what's the point?

11. Sir Sham Cad

VPN/Enterprise suitability

Looking into the extended capabilities of WinPho 8.1 it looks like the same VPN functionality that is in Windows RT with no support for 3rd party VPN apps (such as our Cisco AnyConnect) but in-built support for a standard l2tp/ipsec connection.

The Mobile Device Manglement support looks good, though, so at that price could maybe replace a BlackBerry based remote email system?

I'd love to see a review of it from an Enterprise perspective as well as how it is to live with as a consumer.

12. Tom 35

Wow, why didn't anyone think of that before!

the scene-stealing feature of the Windows Phone update, the voice assistant Cortana

1. jimbo60

Re: Wow, why didn't anyone think of that before!

They did. I could issue voice commands to my Windows Mobile 6 phone back in 2006. You know, some five years before Siri came out, and a year before you could buy the first iPhone. :-)

It was pretty simple direct commands to the phone ("call roger on mobile", "play dark side of the moon"), not the modern search engine or personal assistant stuff we have now, but it worked. 8 years ago.

13. king of foo

RAM... bo?

RAM isn't exactly expensive nowadays... and in my experience it's like loo roll; better to have too much than not enough.

If I were recommending a phone to a relative I'd be scoffing at 512mb of RAM, then not bother to investigate any further and just steer them towards the moto e... and suspect I wouldn't be alone in my snobbery. This may have been a stupid decision. Even if the 512mb in this outperforms the 1gb in the moto e, people may never know.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Re: RAM... bo?

More RAM affects power consumption - if you don't need it, why have it? On a budget phone, we aren't exactly talking about running Oracle databases...

1. king of foo

Re: RAM... bo?

How do we know they don't need it? People with less cash to throw at a smartphone don't have less "need" when it comes to performance. I'd argue that it's worth the negligible impact on battery consumption to up the available RAM. 512mb to 1gb cant be that big a difference. I'm not saying it isn't "enough" just that it seems, well, a bit "puny".

14. Fihart

First Nokia ?

I think most Reg readers bought their Last Nokia some years ago.

15. ScottK
    Unhappy

Australia tax strikes again

This looks interesting, but yet again it seems residents of the land down under are being stung with silly pricing. Somehow 89 pounds translates into 249 Aussie dollars. At the current exchange rate it should be somewhere in the region of 160-165.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

512MB of Ram not enough

Just got a windows phone for work. Lumia 625

Most of the apps give a "Your device does not meet the specifications of the app 1GB Ram Minimum"

So whilst android phones need more memory, it seems windows apps do to....

Plus boy is that app store empty....

1. AlbertH

Re: 512MB of Ram not enough

The organisation I work for bought several of these efforts recently. All the users have ended up dropping them from a high place, losing them in a river "accidentally" or hurling them at a wall. In common with every other Microsoft product, they just don't work. Worse - they don't work in a very bad way - they seem like they're going to work..... then don't.

17. Joe Werner Silver badge

Aussie Tax

Yeah, there's a Europe* Tax, too. The 89 GBP translate to 160 EUR, which is so 1990s (I remember an exchange rate of 3 DM (German Mark) to 1 GBP...

*the Brits call the rest "Europe" and do not include themselves in that**, right?

**and that does predate the EU

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like