back to article US negotiators in Singapore to unblock TPP negotiations

America's free trade tourists have returned to Singapore on yet another attempt to unlock stalled talks over the Trans Pacific Partnership treaty. Hailed by business and government alike, the 12-nation treaty has been criticised on various grounds: the secrecy of its proposed text, the lack of consultation in many countries, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gray
    Trollface

No surprises

A secret text, the focus of a closed-door negotiation process involving confidential efforts by undisclosed participants arguing unresolved powers to be granted private corporations exercising behind-the-scenes threats against unrevealed government economic and trade policies, affecting an electorate kept in the dark and excluded from the process ...

... how silly of anyone to be concerned. Anyone heard anything from Davos lately?

1. Grade%
      Childcatcher

Re: No surprises

Shaddup and buy something shiny.

2. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

The Best Solution: Kill TPP And Serve The Citizens Instead

And kill the corporate oligarchy that wrote TPP as well. They treat we, their customers, as default criminals. Let's do the same to them and outlaw their deceitful writing of treaties and laws, as well as outlaw their lobbying $MONEY$. These clowns have ruined my country, the USA.

1. Gray
      Trollface

Re: The Best Solution: Kill TPP And Serve The Citizens Instead

"These clowns have ruined my country, the USA."

Yes ... well, that's the problem, isn't it? It's not their country ... they are multinational. If they should ever feel the need to flee the sinking ship, they (the oligarchs) have got private island estates and corporate jets to fly them there. Problem solved.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Best Solution: Kill TPP And Serve The Citizens Instead

Why not attack the real enablers, crony capital practicing governments. That's who's made the USA poorer and weaker. Get rid of the current criminal elite in power and rely on real competition to empower consumers.

3. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Coat

Too much is never enough

I can't help it - every time I read an article involving corporate USA, I see Mr. Creosote from Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life". I just have no idea what form the after dinner mint will take.

Raincoat because it could get messy.

4. Don Jefe

State Run Companies

Ugh. Sometimes the sniveling bullshit that comes out of my government is just gross. Honestly, it's pretty much all 'Western' governments that do it, not just the US.

The fact they're worried about state run companies undercutting the private sector is just hilariously backwards. Bitching about what other countries are doing with their companies that let's them 'undercut the private sector' isn't any sort of actionable plan. That's just fucking stupid.

A much more useful idea would be for the US to look into why so many of their privately run companies are the most fiscally ineffective companies on Earth. I'm not taking about the regular private sector, I mean the preferred partner private sector which includes aerospace, defense, natural resource/energy and telecoms.

I've been in business for a long time, and while don't know everything, I'm absolutely certain that saying 'we pay 8x over market prices for goods and services and if you don't you're corrupt and destabilizing the global market' is not not the kind of thing that plays well with the citizens of other nations.

What the fuck kind if logic is that? If you don't let your private sector interests rob you blind you're cheating? Corruption makes everything cheaper? I thought corruption made everything more expensive? That's plainly not the case now is it? If corruption makes everything cheaper then taxpayers could get more for th......... Oh. I see.

You were right! Corruption does make everything more expensive. Not being corrupt makes things cheaper. So if you aren't corrupt prices are lower, but if you are corrupt then your prices will be many times higher? That doesn't sound right either, because you're saying the non corrupt entity would offer lower prices but where does that put our companies if we're on the absolute highest rung of extreme costs?

Christ. Foreign diplomats don't get paid enough to deal with us. Maybe they should put in some overtime and get their lack of corruption under control.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: State Run Companies

> Corruption makes everything cheaper? I thought corruption made everything > more expensive?

Your concerns about corruption have been addressed in the movie Syriana:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365737/

by the character named Danny Dalton:

"Corruption??? Corruption Is Why We Win!"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Talking Bullshit, you're doing it right ! Government run companies, especially in the third world are corruption writ large. They inevitably operate monopolies, charge excessively and have lousy service levels. Why, because they can ! Usually filled with relatives and time servers.

Private sector rob you blind, christ you're fucking mad, governments beat the private sector on that metric every time and in spades.

The key is competition, when there's genuine competition then prices and service improve. Works damn near every time; and when it doesn't it's almost always because some government entity has it's fingers in the till or regulating to favour certain interests. And the best way to enable competition is to have as a level a playing field as possible, and let the consumers benefit, not the special interests.

1. Lars Silver badge
        Stop

"Private sector rob you blind, christ you're fucking mad, governments beat the private sector on that metric every time and in spades."

As far as I have understood John Major decided the privatisation of British Rail. If that was a good or not so good thing to happen, I have no opinion about, but why the hell should American companies have anything to say about matters like that. Why are matters like these pushed into a trade agreement. And why the hell should the EU accept it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

I can't wait until they try to establish this with India

I'm sure the Indian governement will be glad to start enforcing American pharmaceutical copyrights....

6. phuzz Silver badge
    Big Brother

Nope! Nothing to see here citizens! There is nothing here you should concern yourself with. Go about your daily business and consume more! Pay no attention to the corporate interests behind the curtain.

7. btrower

There is no harm in trying

We have set it up so that no matter how egregious the assault on the commons, there is simply no penalty for trying. Regardless of how much it would damage the public, this type of thing is 100% upside for the perpetrators. Their worst case scenario is they waste a little money and even that may not be the case as we actually seem to be paying out of pocket for our own civil servants to fly around the world to stab us in the back.

I would like to see us issue a statement that these interests have a narrow amnesty period during which they lay down their arms after which any further noxious behavior will be punished, even if it requires post-facto legislation.

There comes a time when it is legitimate for citizens to seize back control from a corrupt state. We are approaching that time, if we have not reached it already.

I may be naive, but I believe that until they shut down our means to communicate with one another we have a genuine chance to take back control of our government through the simple expedient of fielding candidates intent on setting things right and voting them into office. Sometimes the obvious course is the right one.

8. Lars Silver badge
    Stop

Trade agreement

Why do they call it a trade agreement, why not a litigation agreement or "how to look at the world the right way" agreement. There is so much shit squeezed into it that serves only the few, the multinationals who want to get rid of all standards regarding quality.

There are those in the EU who keep talking about how much money it will give the EU but I really hope they will start to understand it's a Trojan horse disguised as a trade agreement.

9. earl grey
    Thumb Down

what's that old song lyric?

Let's call the whole thing off.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like