back to article Apple 'rainbow' logos set to fetch $10-15K at auction

A pair of logos taken from Apple's Cupertino headquarters are slated to fetch big bucks on the auction block. Auction house Bonhams is planning to offer two pieces of signage sporting the company's iconic rainbow-colored logo as part its upcoming auction series "The Story of the 20th Century." The auction is set to take place …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 85

What? No injunction from Apple?

I'd would assume that while they don't own the signs physically (and did the former employee have permission?) that they still own the trademark. But still.. who but an avid collector would pay that much for them?

1. Tel

Re: What? No injunction from Apple?

On the assumption that the employee was, indeed, permitted to take possession of these items, I can't see why selling them would be any different from selling anything else with a corporate trademark on it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He's selling something existing with the Apple logo on it. No different than selling an old Apple II with its logo. What you can't do under trademark law is make products using the trademark of another. If he was making keychains that used that old Apple logo, he'd probably be getting a certified letter at some point. As would any company, because where trademarks are concerned, if you don't defend it, you will lose it.

1. Ralph B

It has (some) round corners after all.

2. Andy Tunnah

tenner says apple sue em for a billion

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll take that. Seriously.

3. RAMChYLD

Surely that can't be right?

> They were once displayed at the company's Cupertino headquarters

> and are being sold by an Apple employee who obtained them in 1997,

> after the firm abandoned the Rainbow logo pattern for the current

> one-color Apple logo.

I thought Apple abandoned the logo in 1999? My Beige G3 from 1998 still has the logo.

4. xperroni

"The Story of the 20th Century"

"Story" as in a work of fiction? In contrast to "history", which purports to be a factual account?

Fitting choice of goods, then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The Story of the 20th Century"

It's a farcical comedy, that's why they included 20th Century Apple...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Fanbois Will Wet Themselves

If the fanbois are happy sell their sould for anything with an Apple logo on it, what the hell will they do for an actual Apple Logo!?

I imagine the foam one would make a nice place to put their iToys and the other one a nice hat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Fanbois Will Wet Themselves

Every company has fanboys.

Google just hasn't really been around long enough for that sort of nostalgia to take effect.

6. Steve Graham

A couple of years ago, I got good money on eBay from a set of the rainbow logo stickers which I'd found among random rubbish in the loft. I think they had originally come with an early Apple laser printer whose documentation I'd taken home to study in an effort to get the bugger to work.

So, yes, the fans will buy anything.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like