back to article Microsoft issues update for buggy WinPhone 8.1 mega-update

Microsoft has issued an update to the Developer Preview edition of Windows Phone 8.1, but so far it hasn't given much indication as to what has changed. The new release is available as an over-the-air update to customers who already have the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview installed. "This update includes several …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Young 1

"and once you load the preview, there's no way to revert to an earlier version of the OS."

There is. You can re-flash an old version of the OS (8.0) to your device, although you obviously will lose your data, :/

I have done this a couple of times, due to bad battery life etc, I've installed this new update, so fingers crossed the battery problems are reduced..

1. dogged

Re: "and once you load the preview, there's no way to revert to an earlier version of the OS."

Indeed. A full walkthough (including links to the Nokia Software Updater for Retail) is here

2. big_D Silver badge

Audible

I'm hoping the issue with Audible is fixed. It seems to think it is still playing audio, but there is no sound. This seems to happen if you remove headphones or a bluetooth device when Audible is the "foreground" audio app - even if it is paused at the time of removing the output device. The problem is, the issue is intermittent, on Sunday I had to restart 3 times, this week it hasn't happened once.

(As this is dev preview, I accept there are likely to still be issues and yes, I reported the issue to Audible and Nokia - as 8.1 doesn't include the updated firmware and drivers from the manufacturer, it could be that that is the cause of the problem.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I managed to install it on a Nokia 625, 925, 820 and a HTC 8X and the only issue I had was some overheating on the 925. I've had worse updates....

I remember when my original iPhone received the update that allowed third party applications. I was visiting an old ruin near Swansea (oh, wait, it was Swansea) when it started to play up and I had to wait 'til I got home to get back up and running properly.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Almost no issues for me ...

Certainly no problem with battery life on my Lumia 720, and the extra features are superb.

I say 'almost' no issues purely because of the slow-moving hell that is the new XBox Music player :( which, fortunately, I have supplemented with a shortcut that opens the WP 8.0 version instead :)

5. 2Fat2Bald

It's a preview...

I bet people pounce on this and use it as evidence of Microsoft's "Crapness".

It's a developer's preview. It's *supposed* to have bugs in it and the whole darn point of it is to give people with technical nouse the chance to work on it *before* it hits the majority of the population and highlight any problems, give people some warning of what to expect.

Personally. I'm starting to like Windows Phone. It's getting there. It's definately getting there.

1. PeterM42
      FAIL

Re: It's a preview...

So glad you are 'getting to like' Win phone - MOST people like Android and IOS from day one, and don't suffer the tribulations of Windows 8.

1. dogged

Re: It's a preview...

MOST people don't go around telling other people what they're allowed to like. And Windows Phone 8 != Windows 8, in case you didn't know.

It rather looks as if you didn't.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like