back to article Cops crimp global perve-cam attacks

Webcam voyeurs around the world are on edge after authorities in several nations began raiding buyers of the BlackShades remote access trojan (RAT). Reports of the raids surfaced on hacker denizen hangout HackForums after authorities pounced on users across the US, Europe, and reportedly Australia this month. US-based …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sandman

False logic

"BlackShades was said to be insecure and a tool of inexperienced hackers, leading some users to question whether police resources would be better spent chasing more damaging crime."

OK, by that logic we should't arrest Mafia members until they reach at least Capo status, terrorists until they've graduated to efficient mass killing, etc. It makes a lot more sense to arrest people when they're beginning their career and perhaps (only perhaps) deterring them.

1. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Re: False logic

Have an Upvote.

I literally clicked the comments button to say exactly the same thing. Sure they might be lower hanging fruit, but taking them now prevents a lot of misery. Plus if flagged now they are less likely to get better able to hide themselves now, than after a few years of practise.

2. Valeyard

How did they find them?

How on Earth did the cops manage to find a page like "hackforums.net" and associate it with script kiddies?

Freaks me OUT what they can do nowadays man! no one's safe!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL. That is all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blackshades NET3.6 User Guide

http://www.scribd.com/doc/83173574/Black-Shades-NET-User-Guide

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Blackshades NET3.6 User Guide

If you need a manual to use a bit of skiddy software then there's really no hope for you.

5. TopOnePercent
    Facepalm

"BlackShades was said to be insecure and a tool of inexperienced hackers, leading some users to question whether police resources would be better spent chasing more damaging crime."

The users complaining about this are exactly the same as all those people caught speeding who with a completely straight face ask the police "Why aren't you out there catching real criminals?". And yes, I speed, but I'm happy to accept responsibility if/when I get caught.

The days when you could learn to hack by simply starting hacking are long gone. Now you need to do an awful lot of research and learning first, before you even think about accessing something you don't have permission to use. Sort of like passing a driving test, to continue my analogy....

Better still, pay to play in a sandbox where you can learn without breaking the law or doing any damage.

6. Mark 85

Hackforum link?

So by going there to read the references, will we be nailed by the authorities as low-hanging fruit or because we're in IT will we nailed as the brains behind things? Enquiring minds and all that...

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. herman
    FAIL

So, the only legit RAT is stil Microsoft Internet Explorer?

9. SharonMM

We are not safe any more, even the government is spying on the citizens. The hackers also want to use BlackShades to hack our computers. With that said, micro keylogger is not a scam at all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like