back to article Titsup Russian rocket EXPLODES, destroys $275m telly satellite

It's red faces all round at the Russian space agency after its latest Proton rocket launch failed midflight, destroying a very expensive satellite that was due to beam digital TV all over the former Soviet Union. The Proton-M rocket, carrying a European-built Express AM4R telecommunications satellite, launched from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. brooxta
    Mushroom

In other news

Vladimir Putin today ordered a Tesla Model S (allegedly).

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

SOFTWAR!

Those little logic bombs work, do they?

3. Chris G

Test flight

For the next batch of motors to be sold to the States

4. DNTP

I just recreated this incident using Kerbal Space Program.

Every day that I've played it, usually multiple times a day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny playing it ant I'm attempting a rendezvous and docking right now. Though I am using some autopilot to speed things up. :D

I do quite well in zero g. It's the re-entry that everything burns up in.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Joke

I was wondering why those "Russian" troops in Crimea had SpaceX patches on their shoulders,

6. Don Jefe

Scuttlebutt

I was informed today, on good authority, that the pressure point for the Russia/Crimea/SpaceX/ULA has shifted. Certain parties are applying enormous pressure on satellite insurers to adjust their weighting to reflect various risks of storing, moving, launching and first year operations of satellites using Russian motor cores and/or launching from Russia.

It's all quite interesting. The entire global insurance market for everything satellite related is less than $2B in premium payments. Although the industry has historically been profitable, the average premium payment has dropped about 50% over the last few years. That means the insurance companies are quite keen to make adjustments that can increase the average amounts of those premiums.

Overall, I like it. Nobody in government is going to seriously diddle with international relations at this point, but if the finances change drastically it's quite possible you'll see big change in government feeling on the issue. This is smart business, only made better when proof is blowing up overhead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Scuttlebutt

All this will do is to make Russian government re-insure them or "pressure" their banks into underwriting at extremely competitive rates.

This may have worked once upon a time when Russia had the mother of all deficits and no financial reserves. At this particular moment in time - do not think so.

1. Don Jefe

You completely miss the point. Russia has fuck all to do with the insurance of the satellite build, launch site logistics, pre launch prep, launch or the 1st year of service. That's because they don't build much of what they launch. That's done by companies in other countries who do have to pay the insurance costs.

If insurance prices got back to what they were a few years ago Russia could offer to launch the satellites for free, and it still would move the economics in Russia's favor.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

" Nobody in government is going to seriously diddle with international relations at this point, but if the finances change drastically it's quite possible you'll see big change in government feeling on the issue. "

Russian stockmarkets have been extremely jittery since that mess began. It might be politically popular but the people who hold the pursestrings within the country have their doubts.

7. James 51

Dlo the chinese have a commerical program to speak of?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Yes but you aren't allowed to launch on them if your payload contains any significant American technology, or you want any US government work in future.

A clever bit of protectionism/nationalism that has led to china developing (or at least copying) a lot of the technology themselves.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have gone to India

They have a reliable rocketry system and very cheap too! The Mars orbiter is already halfway at about 70 million dollars only and conceived and launched within 16 months !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Should have gone to India

"They have a reliable rocketry system and very cheap too! The Mars orbiter is already halfway at about 70 million dollars only and conceived and launched within 16 months"

Not sure why that received a downvote, although (and especially if you're from India) why post as AC? The mission cost is genuinely something to be proud of, and might just generate the sort of headlines that will help the element of competition required to kickstart space as a paying commercial sector.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They haven't been launching long enough to get a reputation for reliability. Same reason why SpaceX isn't get any critical loads, and won't be for a while. It takes years to build up a good reputation, and months (as the Russians will soon find out) to ruin it.

But good on India for joining the game, there is a serious backlog of launch slots, which will only get worse as people cancel contracts with Russia and pay to cut in line for Ariane launches. The quicker that India and SpaceX are seen as viable alternatives beyond the "discount launch" market the better for everyone.

1. Don Jefe

The Indian Mars launch is far, far too dependent on factors outside the engineering control one needs for commercial viability. What they have done is super cool, but it's a science project, not a business venture.

1. alwarming

Didn't someone claim that the Mars launch was a marketing project for their

payload business ?

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/02/pslv-launch-multi-sats/

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

The brazilians would be at the same stage as India too, if they hadn't managed to blow up a rocket on the pad whilst most of their employees were working on it.

Rule #1, don't have people anywhere near the thing if it's got fuel in it. The Russians learned that particular lesson a long tim ago (N1 days)

9. JustWondering
    Unhappy

Uh-oh

It doesn't look good for the Eastern Ukraine. Putin will be looking for something to help restore his image.

10. Mikel

Gravity plot

It seems at least some parts of this rocket wound up in an "unplanned orbit".

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Gravity plot

An unplanned orbit wih perigee well below the line of the geoid. If this happens, apogee is unimportant.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. splatellite

Damn them! My plans for world domination foiled by Meester Bond again!

:-)

On the flip side, maybe I will get an "Offer I can't refuse" to donate or sell my antigravity device plans to the former USSR, seeing as they were the ones who nearly invented it way back when.

12. mrtom84
    Boffin

add more S.A.S

I feel their pain. Same thing happens to me on KSP all the time.

13. P. Lee

Space-as-a-Service

Clouds looking decidedly lumpy and hot.

14. Scroticus Canis
    Happy

"an emergency pressure drop" - Novel way to describe an explosion.

"the Russian rocket is still the booster of choice for very heavy loads" - oh yeh?

The Russian rocket used to be the booster of choice for very heavy loads. TFTFY!

15. Heinrich E. Ken
    Boffin

Attn: Trajectory boffins

Could this be related to thing that fell on Townsville?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014?-05-16/huge-flaming-object-falls-to-earth-in-north-queensland-townsvill/5456566?section=nt

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Attn: Trajectory boffins

I'm not a trajectory boffin, but a quick look at a map show that's very unlikely. Most likely the bits ended up spread over Mongolia and China.

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Actually Delta IV and Atlas V *can* do bigger but at

Eyewatering cost.

Which might explain why most commercial customers won't use them.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Conspiracy theories

There are already conspiracy theories out there saying it was hit by UFOs or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqh61WsuRKU

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Conspiracy theories

Maybe it was hit by an Anti-Proton going in the opposite direction :-)

18. Trollslayer

SpaceX

They are choosing a good path - build up business with a reputation for reliability.

Keep on with long term projects of course but I don't think they need to overreach.

19. DoctorNine

Part of a plan?

So, first the Russians take Crimea, then the US starts sanctions. When the Russians talk about limiting ISS activity, stopping and heavy launch functions for the US/EU, then the US nixes GLONOSS base stations in CONUS, and now a Russian telecommunications satellite 'mysteriously' blows up on launch. I wonder if there could possibly be a connection?

Nah. Never.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Part of a plan?

An extraordinary amount of Cold War era spy vs spy type stuff was nothing more than the normal screwups you always see if you step back far enough. The difference, is that nobody gives a shit that stuff goes on constantly unless it's happening to someone you're in a 30 year propaganda war with.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Part of a plan?

And besides that, the satellite itself was supposed to carry TV signal over ex-USSR, i.e. to spread Moscow propaganda more widely and more reliably. Now it went down. Who knows how long it'd take to build a replacement.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. mystery fail

May be related to telemetry, apparently with the Proton M the control is done from the ground.

If something interrupted the signal at the crucial moment then it might cause the systems on the rocket to buffer overflow and crash during conditions of high data throughput.

The M has its own controller and backup but the mains both run identical code separate from the backups

This is for a number of reasons but mostly for security so if something like a power glitch affects one of the backups or one of the mains at the same time the rocket isn't affected.

21. Dave Bell

Some satellites, booked for Proton launch, are going to be delayed.

It's not so easy to put a satellite on a different launcher, because of the physical structure that supports the satellite, and the control systems.

And who has launchers spare?

If somebody wants an extra Falcon launch after this, it will take time to build everything, and there is the problem of time on the pad.

There isn't going to be a sudden change.

22. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Yet further proof

Building a rocket is incredibly easy. Build a bomb, make it explode for a protracted time in only one direction and make it fly to one's desired destination.

OK, not very easy. As the history of high powered rocketry has proved, time and time again.

1. kmac499

Re: Yet further proof

Rocket Science fairly easy it's all down to the specific impulse

Rocket Engineering now that's tricky....

23. Nifty Silver badge

Here's another one I prepared earlier

A large proportion of the cost of a satellite is the custom design and build. Is it not standard practice to build at least one identical spare alongside the original?

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Go

Re: Here's another one I prepared earlier

"A large proportion of the cost of a satellite is the custom design and build. Is it not standard practice to build at least one identical spare alongside the original?

Certainly comm sat operators do like to have spares (either on the ground or on orbit).

The learning curve on most satellites is very steep. The cost to double production (IE 1 --> 2) is a lotsmaller. Iridium hired the guy who developed iPad production to streamline the process. Their 77 sats were much cheaper to knock out at the end.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The learning curve on most satellites is very steep. The cost to double production (IE 1 --> 2) is a lotsmaller"

That's hardly surprising when you're making dozens(*) of engineering test articles before the actual flight unit.

(*) I'm not exaggerating. Test units will be constructed to verify the materials, dimension the wiring looms, stress test, test for fit, etc etc etc.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A large proportion of the satellite build is test and verification - that still costs 2x as much for 2 units.

Most of the commercial satellite bus is pretty much pick and mix, compared to the R&D effort in a science payload.

So if you built a spare it would probably cost 75% of the first item and unless it is one of a constellation like GPS/Iridium you wouldn't have a market for it unless there was an oops, it's cheaper to buy insurance.

24. Lockwood

You are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today

25. JCitizen
    Trollface

Heh! Heh!

(nt)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like