back to article Canonical teams up with Tranquil PC to deliver Ubuntu cluster-in-a-box

Canonical is getting into the hardware business – albeit in a very limited way – to help customers who aren't ready to build out their own clusters start experimenting with private clouds based on Ubuntu and OpenStack. Announced at the OpenStack Summit in Atlanta, Georgia on Tuesday, the Orange Box is a turnkey mobile cluster …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim99 Silver badge
    Linux

The link says:

No Canonical Commercial Support from Ubuntu.

Nice Box - So, for those of us who prefer to avoid Mr Shuttleworth, perhaps someone from Tranquil PC can tell us how easy it is to run Debian?

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Re: The link says:

Seeing as the development work was carried out by Canonical, and Tranquil are only contracted to put the box together, I'd say that they probably aren't allowed to say whether it'll work with Debian or not

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Oh great, Amazon ads at lightspeed.

As above.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like the Edge

Something is fishy in Ubuntu land. Looks cool and all, but the web site only lets one configure 4 nodes of hard drives, yet the lit says 10 nodes of NUC's. So, which is it? 4 or 10? i5 NUCs with 16 GB of RAM and SSD's aren't cheap either, so the cost with networking and the Orange case and custom heat sinks all would suggest 4 nodes. Gotta make a profit ya know. They won't sell many. A single NIC and 1 Gb networking is abysmal when doing real cloud work. Try rolling out 10 nodes of Hypervisor and VM's over a single 1 Gb network. Good luck. Even for a demo or training you want performance or the product ends up looking bad. Gets em in the news though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just like the Edge

I read the configuration options meaning you could add 4 x 2tb drives to the first four nodes for £500. The six 1gb ports on the back are most likely to support aggregation. Each one of the ten internal nodes has 1gb connection to the internal switch. Costing £8k + vat puts out of my gadget budget but I don't know what equivalent cloudy server you get for that money - i'm guessing not much if it is a rack mounted blade server chassis with meaty PSU.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like