back to article Google Maps adds all UK public transport timetables

Google Maps' UK edition now incorporates data on every train, bus, tram and ferry across England, Scotland and Wales. The Chocolate Factory is using Traveline's data to power its service, so now has access to the schedules of 1,500 operators, 1,700 routes and 330,000 bus stops, train stations and other transport hubs. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and no doubt...

... will add the list of the passengers they can detect as well.

2. Alan Denman

Along the Siri way....

.. Apple has decided that exercise is best. Enjoy the walk.

3. Jason McLaughlin

An unusual opening move, I know, but I'm going to play Cockfosters.

1. Jacksonville

Cockfosters?

That's easy... Peckham Rye

1. Ossi

Re: Cockfosters?

Clever move. I go for Tooting Broadway.

1. Jason McLaughlin

Hmm, you've obviously been practising. But your blocking tactics are just a little too obvious. Forced onto the DLR - Royal Albert.

2. Robin

Manchester Picadilly?

1. big_Jim

If we're playing Tudor Court Rules then it should be St Johns Wood

1. Ossi

Surely only if the run of play is with the codpiece holder?

1. Jacksonville

I think you may be confusing this with the Argyle Street Parabola, in which case you must be the poke holder, not the codpiece, but only when using Trumpington's variation, obviously

2. plrndl

Mornington Crescent.

3. Richard Gadsden

I'm going to follow on from Robin's move, as I think I do accept the various arguments put out. So:

Besses o' th' Barn. I appreciate that this bends the Northern rules a little, and may force someone into Nydd, but if you're smart, there is a way out...

2. Stanislaw
        Go

Sorry I missed the start. Engineering work on the Central Line.

We'll probably need a ruling on this, but I think Ossi needs to re-evaluate his move as I believe he may be straddling, which would render all subsequent moves void.

Unless you're all in Nidd, of course.

2. Jason McLaughlin

I think you'll find my early play of the DLR rendered Tudor Court Rules obsolete (as they should be - but I'd rather not get into the politics of what should be an enjoyable game). As it looks like we're playing the National Variant, I think Robin's move stands. Although, as I'm sure you're aware, if we're not back in London in 6 turns, the whole game might be forfeit. And that's not good for any of us.

Let's play nice people.

1. Ossi

Come to think of it, that's right - because of the plague pits. But I think the use of the cross lateral is suspect even in the National variant.

1. phear46

wtf....

What the f guys? I have no idea what your on about....

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
            Happy

Re: wtf....

phear46,

I believe what you meant to say was, I'm sorry, I haven't a clue what you're on about...

2. Scott Broukell
            Happy

Re: wtf....

@Phear46 - The improvisational game 'Mornington Crescent' was an integral part of a brilliant Radio 4 show callled 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue', originally hosted, superbly, by Humphrey Lyttelton. London Tube stations and other landmarks are the key features of the game, the goal of which is to 'arrive' at Mornington Crescent tube station via subtle and esoteric means. It was, is, and continues (I think), to be hilarious in every respect.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. meh1010

Does that invalidate plrndl's move then? Because if so can I use the Mortimer Variations on Nidd and call York?

4. kdh0009

"across Britain, Scotland and Wales" - a prediction for the future?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was born in a country called "England". It's been disappeared since then.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Headmaster

And in any case "England, Scotland and Wales" isn't "All UK", it's "All GB". To be All UK it would have to include N. Ireland transport as well

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Britain* (exclusions apply)

It's simple:

"Britain" = Area covered by a wave of the hand over Map of Europe somewhere to the North-West of Belgium to distract the viewer while waver silently mouths the word "England".

"England" = 1. A small village in Shropshire where they still play cricket on a village green every Sunday. 2. Any number of sports teams drawn largely from places that don't actually exist, they being north of London, yet not in Scotland.

"London" = Ornate tax-haven for Russian oligarchs. When lit professionally, it looks a bit like Cardiff.

"Wales" = Rugged outcrop west of London. Locals friendly despite epidemic of nasal catarrh.

"Scotland" = Oilfield and country-sports resort off the northern coast of London. Invented everything important. Except whisky. They print their own special money to make sure none of it ever leaves the country.

"Northern Ireland" = Not actually part of Britain, except when it is. Populated by two factions, both of whom want to live in different countries, but who are afraid to leave in case the other changes its mind and stays. Sometimes mistakenly called "Ireland", which more correctly refers to "Ireland, the Republic of": a rustic revenue transit-point for American corporations, also vehemently not part of Britain, despite all cultural, sporting, commercial, legal and societal signs to the contrary.

Use of adjectives:

"British" = Scottish or Welsh or Northern Irish person who has just succeeded at something on the world stage; or English person who has spectacularly failed to do same.

"English" = English person who has just succeeded at something on the world stage.

"Scottish", "Welsh" = Scottish or Welsh person who has spectacularly failed and/or disgraced themselves on the world stage.

"Irish" = Warning: unless you've got documentary proof that you are talking about a citizen of the 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland, this word is best avoided, unless you actually intend to start a heated and pointless argument that will rage for days.

Note, none of these should be confused with the special noun, "Briton". This is reserved solely to describe a holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who has just come to a very sticky end very far from home.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AndrueC Silver badge
            Thumb Up

Re: Britain* (exclusions apply)

+1 for mentioning 'Briton' :)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Caaaptaaaain kick arse

Re: Britain* (exclusions apply)

Sounds like a new crypto currency -- 'Britcoin'

2. Dinky Carter

it's "All GB".

... and it's really true that not a lot of people know that.

During lulls in pub conversations, I've won several pints in bets with British mates by challenging them to correctly name the country printed on the front of their passports. Without exception, all of my non-techie mates fail miserably and have to stump up a pint. More surprisingly, a fair number of the nerds also fail.

As you can tell, I scintillate during boozing seshes.

3. Scroticus Canis

@Phil O'Sophical - Correct

The name is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", though I don't remember Northern Ireland being a separate kingdom in the past, history was never my strong point.

@ Kirsten Walsh - oh splendid sir, truly splendid.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: @Phil O'Sophical - Correct

"The name is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", though I don't remember Northern Ireland being a separate kingdom in the past,"

That's because you are reading it as two Kingdoms, Great Britain and Northern Island, United together.

It's actually The United Kingdom of Great Britain + a bit offshore called Northern Island.

If you turn on the radio or TV, or maybe a computer which has an internet connection you might come across the odd article or news item related to Ye Olde Kingdom of Scotlande and how it might want to not be United any more with Ye Olde Kingdom of Englande. That might help explain the "United Kingdom" bit of the name.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

England is a distant memory....

Great Britain is soon to fall

Once we had an Empire,

but parliament lost it all

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

..and it immediately shows up a flaw in our local bus services. Ask it to get me from Brackley to Brindleyplace in Birmingham for 8am and it says I have to leave at 20:10 the day before. The earliest it can get me here via public transport on the same day is 0930. This is because there's no early morning or late night bus service to Banbury after the council withdrew subsidies last year. Guess I'll have to stick to driving to the station :-/

Other than that I like the (perhaps pointless) way that it shows you the actual route you'll be taking (it even shows the train route, lol) but it'd be really nice if it gave the cost. Proper links to book tickets for the journeys might be good as well.

So thumbs up to Google. Thumbs down to my local bus services.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If they started running a direct Brackley to Banbury bus I might actually use it, but given it travels via every village on the way and takes 50mins (rather than 15 by car) there is no point. Ironic that HS2 (may) pass the outskirts of Brackley but will be completely useless to all of us commuting to London or Birmingham.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

What we really need is the A422 dualling between Brackley and Banbury. That would finally bypass Farthinghoe (aka. 'Pothole Central') and would probably alleviate some of the traffic problems on J10 of the M40. And if it helps garner support I'd suggest dualling it in the other direction to Milton Keynes as well.

6. ratfox

Nice

In a city with a complex public transportation system, that's a real time saver.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Nice

Even without... trying to figure out which the hell bus you should take even in a small town can be confusing.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Its failing is trusting a 11's predicted arrival time."

I just tested it on Newcastle to South Shields. Apparently my best bet is to take the "subway". I'm not sure that the Tyneside Metro will take so long to get there that I need to buy a sandwich to sustain me on the journey.

I wonder if that's Google calling the Metro a "subway" or the source data? Either way, it's an error. In the UK, a subway is a pedestrian passage under a road or a particular sandwich retailer on the high street. It definitely ain’t a light railway, 99% of which is above ground.

1. Mr Flibble
        FAIL

Google fail

They do indeed appear to be calling it a tunnel for pedestrians; I don't see them calling it the source data… Anyway – have you reported that error to them? (I have, complete with dictionary references.)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Yes....

..but it will it tell us the trains are still on running time despite not having them for 3 days the last heavy snowfall?

Certainly the rail companies were unable to do this. Simply due to the fact they were reaching that last point of the auto update system but getting no further and going back, so to the crappy automated system, they looked like they were all ok, in fact many were running 20 minutes ahead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Real Time Trains

Google might not but try http://realtimetrains.co.uk - does a pretty good job of taking National Rail feeds, assembling them into something meaningful and (IME) accurate predictions for arrivals - and it does normally pick up on cancellations, even part way through a journey.

Useful extra is that it also confirms platforms for large stations long before the departure board will (well, at Euston it works).

[mobile apps are available for iPhone and Android]

No connection to the company other than a satisfied user.

2. AndrueC Silver badge

Re: Yes....

..but it will it tell us the trains are still on running time despite not having them for 3 days the last heavy snowfall?

Or just a permanent note on Crosscountry trains arriving at New St from the north '(all times are approximate)'. I'm glad I switched to Chiltern to go back. It might be a bit late sometimes getting in but since it sits there for 10 minutes before 'turning round' it doesn't matter to me. It almost always leaves on time :)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

And whilst ranting.....

...will it magically reduce the 3 -4 hours round trip it takes via public transport down to the 1 hour by car (which would be better if the $%^&*() buses didn't stop every 10m and reduce the price by about 75%?

Yet they still bloody bang on about how great public transport it. Try living NOT in a city.

1. HollyHopDrive

Re: And whilst ranting.....

Yep. I just checked my option for going to work via public transport. 37 miles to coventry. By car its about an hour. By public transport (3 buses and 2 trains plus some walking) an amazing 3 and a bit hours! In fact it takes just 3 minutes longer to cycle according to Google. I also bet that public transport jaunt would cost significantly more than the 6 Quid's worth of diesel each way I spend now.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

I also bet that public transport jaunt would cost significantly more than the 6 Quid's worth of diesel each way I spend now.

That at least doesn't seem to apply for me. It's slightly cheaper to drive from home to Birmingham but only if you look at the obvious costs (petrol and parking). Factor in wear and tear and the train is cheaper even though I'm paying to park at the station. Plus considerably less hassle especially the return journey and only 15 minutes longer(*) and I can read for an hour. Mind you if I couldn't walk from the station to my office it'd be another matter.

(*)And in the evening train is probably quicker. I've not yet tried driving back from B'ham but I doubt it's going to be smooth sailing. When co-workers tell you it's best to head north to the M6 you know it's not going to be good :(

2. Rich 11

> which would be better if the $%^&*() buses didn't stop every 10m

Yeah, it's a real bugger when public transport transports people other than yourself.

1. MrXavia

I think his point is 10 meters is too damned short a distance! if you can't walk that, get a taxi!

Not that I've been on a bus in years, there are no busses any more round my way...

1. Lamont Cranston
          Flame

Re: if you can't walk that, get a taxi!

If you can walk on to a earlier/later stop, you might as well. The bus will also be providing a service* to those who can't do that.

*well, it should be; no doubt it's been deemed to be unprofitable, and been cancelled.

10. Fuzz

Here transit

Pretty sure the Nokia Here transit on my windows phone does this as well and has done for at least a year. Still it's nice to see other platforms can catch up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Here transit

Nokia Who?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Happy

Nokia Who?

Probably the same Nokia app that used to tell me the best route from North Wales to Dumfries and Galloway was via the Mersey Tunnel.

It also used to tell me that the shortest route was via a ferry to Northern Ireland. I suppose in terms of reducing fuel costs it was. I always thought it amusing though the way it said 'At the dock, follow the ferry...'

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Google also has ferry problems, it only knows some of them. Ask it for Bruges to Hull and it still takes you either via the channel tunnel, or Hook of Holland-Harwich, despite there being a very good Zeebrugge-Hull service.

The one that amuses me is Expedia, where the list of nearest alternative airports to Glasgow includes Belfast City...

2. DaLo

Google has always had some transit information but this is a fully comprehensive and redesigned interface.

It has more complete information than Nokia including domestic ferries however Nokia includes live timetabling information which Google currently doesn't (only timetabled).

The BBC story on it has a lot more details and compares it to the competition.

11. Robert E A Harvey

Maybe not all.

It has the Delaine services, such as Bourne to Stamford, but not the Call Connect services, such as Bourne to Spalding. For Bourne to Spalding it sends you via Peterborough

call connect: http://www.lincsinterconnect.com/

1. fearnothing

Re: Maybe not all.

I see your problem - Bourne to Spalding is the wrong direction. If you were sane you would be travelling AWAY from the smell of rotting cabbages.

(lived in Spalding for 12 years)

1. Robert E A Harvey

Rotting cabbages

Good point, well made. Upvoted for managing to say "Sane" and "Spalding" in the same paragraph.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So nothing that Here (Nokia) didn't have already...<sigh>...sorry I forgot only Google and Apple are allowed to innovate...

Here Transit if you're wondering

13. D.A.

Yep, as pointed out previously, you need to change your headline - it isn't all of the UK.

If it were all of the UK, they would have to have somehow managed to wrangle the data out of the death grip of the astonishingly incompetent Translink in N. Ireland.

14. Craigie

Usual G+ abuse by hacks

Who don't know how to use it. Join a community, circle some people, then see just how much better it is than facebook.

Also, start enabling comments on your G+ posts FFS Reg!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those who like to walk

QEII hospital in Welwyn Garden City (AL7 4HQ) is a pleasant brisk 20 minute walk from the train station eg starting the journey from SG6 3DD by rail. Traveline lets you tune the walking time parameters so that it gives the correct pedestrian alternative to a bus on that final leg of the journey.

The Google Maps Directions does not give the option of walking from the station on the final leg if you select "Public Transport".

If you select "Walk" then it thinks you want to walk the whole way - over 5 hours! If you select "Cycle" it again assumes you only want to do that - rather than sensibly hop on a train for most of the distance. You apparently cannot combine transport icons to indicate preferences.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Those who like to walk

Works fine for me, showing a combination of walking, buses and trains depending on how long it takes. Just tried a journey into London where it recommended walking the last 1km rather than take another tube to get closer.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Those who like to walk

Works fine for me, showing a combination of walking, buses and trains depending on how long it takes

Same here. The only combination not supported seems to be car and train. But the directions I got from my house to Brindleyplace include a reasonable set of walking instructions. It only offers the shortest route though and a 'better' route is through Paradise Forum since it's almost entirely pedestrianised all the way.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So how long before the existing operators of "travel guidance/advice" are registering a complaint with the EU that Google are abusing their market position as a search engine?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not bad, but long overdue

I've occasionally used the transit system in LA (which isn't all that bad) with the help of Google. Until today, Google Maps only really got the trains here in Manc, so this is a welcome (big) improvement. As others have said, Here Transit does this already (and thanks to work, I also carry a Windows Phone).

18. Caaaptaaaain kick arse

Thought this has been there for ages

I've always been able to click the bus stop icon in maps, which then gives me the time of the next bus.

19. Chris Church

Would almost be useful if google maps didn't make up bus stops! A quick check near me and I can see 2 bus stops on google (with an unmarked comment for each) that don't exist. It's like someone has assumed bus stops always come in pairs and so they've put a stop on the opposite side of the road to a real one. No buses travel in the direction of these unmarked stops! The ones that are real do seem to hold information but whether it's correct is a matter of trial and error!

1. Anonymous Coward 101

My understanding is that some bus stops are registered by local authorities and entered into the database of bus stops within the UK, but don't actually exist 'on the ground'. Google most likely use this database for their maps.

2. Nick Gibbins

I believe that the Traveline bus stop data (on which presumably Google Maps have based their data) comes from NaPTAN (the National Public Transport Access Node dataset - http://www.dft.gov.uk/naptan/ ), so that should be kosher. Can you give some concrete examples of these fictitious stops? I'm not saying that they don't exist (or, uh, don't not exist), but I'd be curious to see where they are (or rather, aren't).

1. Chris Church

Example A: Martlesham Heath, adj Bowling Centre (unmarked) - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0604153,1.2782882,142m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you goto street view you can see there is no stop there. The buses only travel south on that road, not north!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Traveline East Anglia does show the 173 bus using that stop going North.

http://www.travelineeastanglia.co.uk/

This may be incorrect but you can't blame Google for using data from the service providers if their own data is incorrect.

It's not as though Google is going to check every single bus stop personally to check they are correct?

1. Chris Church

Why not? I thought that's what street-perv was for! ;)

20. Jim 59

Pretty pub crawl planner

Bring on the Camra mashups!

21. Pen-y-gors

Presumably useful for some people

But having said that, traveline-cymru.info seems to include all the public transport timetables already. It works out your journey and even includes the 2 minutes to walk from the bus stop to the train station. It also includes google maps, train fares, option to buy ticket etc.

I think they should sue Google!

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Presumably useful for some people

You might want to reread "is using Traveline's data to power its service"

I think I'll still be using Traveline directly though, it's a hell of a lot more configurable. And believable, Google have a quite shocking history of not correcting errors in their maps.

22. Lazlo Woodbine

"eventuates"

I seriously doubt that "eventuates" is a real word

1. handle

Re: "eventuates"

Wow - I was just about to post asking that the author could speak English.

"If that outcome eventuates" indeed! What sort of little bubble of jargon do they live in?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Etymology: < Latin ēventus event n. + -ate suffix1; compare actuate.

First used in U.S., and still regarded as an Americanism, though it has been employed by good writers in England.

1. intr. To have a (specified) event or issue; to turn out (well or ill); to issue, result in.

1789 G. Morris in J. Sparks Life G. Morris (1832) I. 313, I am sure it is wrong, and cannot eventuate well.

1836 M. Scott Cruise Midge~ xx. 364 The squib had eventuated, as the Yankees say..in a zigzag, or cracker.

1855 H. H. Milman Hist. Lat. Christianity VI. xiv. iii. 474 The schoolmen could not but eventuate in William of Ockham.

1873 S. Smiles Huguenots in France (1881) ii. ii. 361 He heard..the discussions which eventuated in Acts of Parliament.

1877 A. J. Ross Mem. A. Ewing xxxi. 536 The crisis had eventuated favourably.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Mmmm thanks for posting a chink of the dictionary, I now what eventuate means, but eventuates, with an S, doesn't seem to exist in any dictionary, at least not a modern UK English dictionary

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

ORLY? ---> Eventuates

1. Lazlo Woodbine

@AC

"ORLY? ---> Eventuates"

And if you bothered to read the links you'd have found out what I did when I googled to check, the UK English dictionaries do not list Eventuates, just Eventuate.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I could've sworn your comment stated "doesn't seem to exist in any dictionary, at least not a modern UK English dictionary". The qualifier seemingly sting that you only had access to a UK English Dictionary. If you knew it already existed in non-UK English dictionaries then the initial part of the sentence would be redundant?

However I think you'll find many suffixes not mentioned in a UK English dictionary and eventuates exists quite readily in the Oxford Dictionaries Online in UK English. Type eventuate and the different forms are shown, namely:

eventuate

eventuate in

eventuated

eventuated in

eventuates

eventuates in

They will not show separate definitions for all of these they just link through to the primary form - eventuate.

23. Craig Vaughton

Pointless

Waste of time for Sheffield's bus service, there's a timetable, it changes occasionally after they've "established passenger patterns", but the end result is the same; stand at the bus stop and hope.

The trams generally run to time, but rather cleverly don't go where most of the people live and are only useful to students as they pass the university and Meadowhall if you want all the shops that the city centre doesn't have (so everything aside from John Lewis). As for calling it South Yorkshire Supertram, that's only because Sheffield is in South Yorkshire, it doesn't mean the tram goes outside the boundaries of Sheffield.

1. BigMon

Re: Pointless

"don't go where most of the people live"

That may be 'partly' true for the Hillsborough and Meadowhell routes but it's certainly not correct for the Halfway route which is very heavily used by those on the South side of the city.

Also, if you think the bus services in Sheffield are bad try living in South Devon which has similar problems but costs a helluva lot more to go anywhere.

24. ElNumbre
    Go

Source Data

Whilst the Traveline data is good for routes, it sucks monkey nuts at interconnects. I just calculated a route from a Midland Metro stop just outside Wolverhampton to Birmingham Airport. Now, there are two real public transport options for this route (excluding buses)...

1) Take the Midland Metro to Birmingham City Centre, walk across town to New Street, then take the train to the Airport.

2) Take the Midland Metro to Wolverhampton, walk to the train station, take the train to the Airport.

For the latter, it tells me to take the Metro into Wolverhampton, wait 10mins for a bus, spend 15mins doing a tour of Wolverhampton shitty centre, then walk from the bus stop to the train station, before continuing the journey on a proper train.

Now, anyone that knows Wolverhampton will tell you the walk from the Metro to the train station is 5-10mins, depending on how briskly you're perambulating.

I guess that leaves me with two suppositions - a) their interconnection data is crap, or b) their data takes account of local crime stats and is keen for you to avoid roaming the streets.

25. Guus Leeuw

Dear Sirs,

I, for one, applaud google on this endeavour. I have used this service for about 3 months now in Dublin, and it is just wonderful. Quick, easy, and way way better than all the apparazi out there have come up with in the past.

Thank you, google. But *only* on this one!

Regards,

Guus

26. Yugguy

No no no.

HERE is the real map of Britain:

http://www.macclads.co.uk/maps/map.htm

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

I'm a little worried. Why are the sheep to the East of the map, vertical. But all the others horizontal. Is there something untoward underway?

1. Yugguy

Yes. Yes there is.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Park and Ride

As the "mode" icons appear to be exclusive to each other - how does it handle a journey for a private car followed by a Park and Ride on public transport? Cambridge being an obvious city where this is almost mandatory for summer visitors.

1. John McCallum

Re: Park and Ride

.....Or Edinburgh where there are three park and ride plus half of a tram system?

28. Dave Bell

Early days.

Google Maps updated. Check.

It isn't quite working here yet, and I have just used the bus service it doesn't know about. I can see the bus stop sign through the window.

Google Earth on my PC does show all the bus stops.

And, serious caution, there are timetable changes coming into effect this weekend.

29. steward
    Thumb Up

I find it amusing

that searching for "Platform 9 3/4" on the UK version of maps.google.com brings up London Kings Cross Station. Clicking through to thetrainline.com, the page actually mentions the Hogwart's Express!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like