back to article Sony bosses will return bonuses as firm preps for BILLIONS in losses

Sony's top brass are set to return their bonuses as the limping Japanese company struggles with predicted billion-dollar losses. Some 40 execs will hand back their Brucies*, which account for between 30 and 35 per cent of their total pay, on the suggestion of chief executive Kazuo Hirai. The Japanese giant is due to unveil …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GordonJ

No focussing on the customer then?

Last two TVs have been Sony, but get a distinct feeling they can't be arsed with supporting me once they have my cash. Firmware updates should have been feasible to unlock all the net-connected Freeview goodness, but they think I should just buy a new telly.

When I do, it sure as hell won't be a Sony.

Bravia Internet Video also seems to be dying a slow death; maybe a bit more of a customer focus would help, otherwise existing Sony customers won't be buying those shiny new 4k models anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No focussing on the customer then?

Unfortunately we're all waiting for the Apple TV set or some other big name to redefine what us expected of a TV unit.

The technology sector is largely clueless, it's largely all about copying the big pioneers.

Personally I'm happy for my TV to remain dumb and just give me more ports for plugging in things that actually do what I want.

1. batfastad

+1 one for the dumb TV! Raspberry Pi+OpenELEC or some other HTPC works much better than a world of proprietary iPlayer/Facebook/YouTube apps that magically stop working once the replacement model is announced.

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

"...happy for my TV to remain dumb and just give me more ports..."

Exactly. First to the market with a nice TV with 24 HDMI ports gets my business.

1. Charles 9

ONLY if they also provide a remote that allows for switching between ANY of those aforementioned inputs with a single press. I can cycle all day, but many others aren't used to the idea and get lost trying to figure out which input they need to be on when they just want to watch the news.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Meh

Only Sony kit I've got left is my PS3 and since the last firmware update it's been randomly dropping its network connection. I only use it as a streaming media player these days so that renders it somewhat useless. The usual story with Sony - pretty good hardware, lousy software.

3. Daz555

I find it hard to criticise Sony because everything I have ever personally bought from them has been superb - Walkmans, "ghetto" blasters, Playstation, Playstation 2, PSP, TVs, amplifier, DVD players, car stereos and on....

I can't right now think of a single Sony product that I've bought which has packed up too soon either.

Hey ho, we all have our own manufacture mares to tell - just happens that none of mine are Sony.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same here.

Most of the bitching about Sony is from people that ended up with inferior kit and are jealous.

In other news, this weeks' Microsoft about-turd.... That's about the 10th so far in the Xbox One disaster...

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Same here.

Oh look, he used "turd" - it's Barry Shitpeas protecting his employer again.

2. Vic

Re: Same here.

Most of the bitching about Sony is from people that ended up with inferior kit

Well, I certainly bitch about my inferior kit. It is Sony kit.

I used to work for them. I was enormously proud of landing a position there, and bought a lot of stuff on the Staff purchase scheme.

By the time I left, management were obsessed with cutting production cost - oblivious to the fact that reducing quality meant their traditional market would simply stop buying their products.

Everything that is happening now is self-inflicted.

Vic.

2. Don Jefe

Somewhere, in a poorly decorated corporate office, is a small group of men who just can't figure out what's gone wrong. In a way it's hilarious, but it's also sad, Sony has always had a fantastic engineering core that has been hung out to dry.

I've been dealing with various Sony business units for nearly three decades and in the late 1990's everything changed. There used to be this built in responsiveness with Sony and they'd really try to accommodate your needs. They used to publish a corporate directory and there was a number in there for the guy who serviced the popcorn machines in Malaysian cinemas with only one screen, and somebody always answered the phone too. That person might not have the answers, but would put you in touch with people who did.

Then all that went away. It's like they started running their businesses by checklist and if everything on the list was checked off then everybody should be getting rich. But that doesn't work if you don't understand what the items on the checklist mean. Not what the items are, or what they do, but what they mean and what they mean to their customers. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's the same mentality you see in the way they adopt other trends from the US. It's never quite right. There's always some weird detail that just doesn't work. But they don't even try to correct it.

They barrel on down the highway with their checklists and won't even return phone calls to try and understand why everyone is fleeing and screaming. It's really too bad.

1. beep54
        Devil

I had a Sony TV. This was when Sony TV's were considered the best (ok, maybe high end for us peons). It was my first major appliance to buy. The design was a bit odd, tho, in that there were mulitple channel buttons that could be dialed to (not programmed as this was before that tech) specific stations. Since I was used to the old-fashioned knobs (with VHS clunkily clicking to one station or another), this was really cool. If you had cable it didn't matter; that would just be one channel. And if you didn't, well, I don't know of any markets that could have exceeded the amounts of channels of the TV. The TV worked great. Top of the line (or at least very near it) picture quality. I loved my Sony. Now....well, now I will actively go out of my way to never, ever throw any money at Sony. You know, or at least should know, that you have effed up royally when the State of Texas (Texas, of all places!!!! I live here so I know what a strange thing that is/was) can and will sue you (and win). That alone should tell you that your corporate structure has been thoroughly hosed. I have wished them the worse ever since that DRM fiasco (pick which one you like, really). And, it seems wishes can come true.

4. sabroni Silver badge

Seriously?

No one commenting on the actual contents of the article then? The top execs at Sony are returning their bonuses because the company is doing poorly.

I think that demonstrates integrity far beyond any I've ever seen from corporate management in the west. I don't see why you'd choose this article to comment on firmware upgrades or lousy software.

1. deive

Re: Seriously?

+1!

Little bit odd they had to give back their Brucies, you would have thought a bonus is paid for performance, so they shouldn't have got any in the first place - rather than as an expected part of pay?

2. Arctic fox
      Trollface

@Sabroni "Re: Seriously?"

Indeed, if we are to judge by our own (w)bankers, in the equivalent situation one would have expected them to increase the bonus-levels and show the rest of us the middle finger. Oh hang on, isn't that precisely what some of our "financial experts/brokers/(w)bankers" have done recently? Why am I suddenly thinking about lamp posts, lengths of hemp and the day the revolution comes?

3. Fatman

I think that demonstrates integrity far beyond any I've ever seen from corporate management in the west.

I have to ask: "Might these be the same executives that decided to infect consumer CD's with a rootkit?"

If, so, then they deserve it.

Seppuku is too good for them.

4. swschrad

because the goofs just keep on coming without being fixed

that's why Sony is now Baloney.

but don't worry, as soon as we roll out our 5D Hyperspace interactive TV that puts you in bed with that fancy lass, it will all pick right up again. promise. really. trust us.

5. Don Jefe

All in all, it's not really comparable to a Western business 'integrity' maneuver. The bonuses at Sony are actual bonuses, not an accounting move to reduce overhead on the books. Before starting my own gig my annual salary at the last company I worked for was 90% less than my annual bonus. Sure, corporate bonuses here are officially a performance based variable, but overall it's an unspoken given. It's nothing more than a way to inflate the books by gaming the system.

Furthermore, here in the West, you can't refuse or return your pay. People don't realize that, but it's illegal as shit for your employer to accept returned salary or bonuses. That's old law that goes back to the days of mine and lumber mill 'company script', nobody will even discuss changing those laws.Courts won't even hear cases about employee theft until you've paid the employee/thief their full salary due.

In the rare cases where Western execs 'return' a bonus it's actually just deferred until the following fiscal year or converted to guaranteed vesting stocks. They really aren't giving shit back, they can't, even if they wanted to (unlikely).

All in all, it's an apples to donuts comparison. It's a pretty small price for the Sony execs to pay though. Not too awful long ago there would have been several new executive positions open at Sony where the new person could move in as soon as they got the blood off the floor and/or replaced the window with the Asian Executive shaped hole in it.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: All in all, it's not really comparable to a Western business 'integrity' maneuver.

Isn't that because it's not a "maneuver" at all? Whether it's cultural or to do with integrity they don't feel they can accept the bonus. Your talk about law is pretty disingenuous, it's perfectly legal to not pay a bonus which could just as easily happen in the west.

"It's a pretty small price for the Sony execs to pay though" So why don't we ever see this sort of thing over here then?

1. Don Jefe

Re: All in all, it's not really comparable to a Western business 'integrity' maneuver.

It's absolutely a 'manuver'. That's why they're all doing it instead of just the people who get really big bonuss, it's an order from the chief, a PR move.

How many employees do you have reporting to you? What kind of bonus structure are you working with? How many times have you been sued over salary and bonuses?

I'm guessing the answer to all three is the same, but why don't you enlighten us? It's OK you don't know a thing about labor or corporate law, but you shouldn't be telling someone who does they don't know what they're talking about. Makes you look very foolish.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Fatman

Not too awful long ago there would have been several new executive positions open at Sony where the new person could move in as soon as they got the blood off the floor and/or replaced the window with the Asian Executive shaped hole in it.

I wish I had swallowed the coffee before I read that!!!!!

6. beep54

@ sabroni: I will grant you that this does show something, but what exactly, I ain't quite sure what. It seems most likely that people at the top are trying (as ever) to CYA in some fashion that the Japanese are more willing to do than others. It still shows no integrity, at least to my mind. Just that the Japanese are willing to do so. On the other hand, they can be willing to commit seppuku whereas those in the 'West' are not much inclined to do same.

I have read this through. The downvotes I shall own.

5. John Smith 23

Good maybe they will get better in the future

Hated sony for years with there stupid proprietary connections, i know they are not the only ones but they seem to be the ones who drove me so nuts with it, i swore never again sony

6. dogged

Will there be an event with a big voiceover?

that says "Shamefur dispray! Commit sudoku!"

*disclaimer - I love Japan and even went so far as to learn the language and customs when out there because of this, but Total War : Shogun 2 voiceovers are still funny.

1. beep54
      Happy

Re: Will there be an event with a big voiceover?

While I have to wonder about your sense of humor in general, I am still going to have to totally steal the phrase "commit sudoku"

7. ecofeco Silver badge

Todokōru

Stagnate.

Sony suffers the same fate as all empires: stagnation sets in lest change and progress upset the status quo.

While their products are generally good, I do have one complaint: their audio specifications are crap. There is something drastically wrong with Sony sound. To my ear, it's very "flat."

Don Jeffe', the checklist syndrome sounds like a page from IBM consulting. I wonder...

1. Don Jefe

Re: Todokōru

Stagnation should drive change and evolution, but it very rarely does these days. I think it has a lot to do with universities teaching 'management'. It's nearly always those 'trained managers' who are in senior roles when stagnation sets in. They don't know how to change, because that's not something that can be taught, and they skipped the chance to actually learn management because they were studying management at university.

Your IBM example is a good one and it contrasts well with NCR. IBM 'evolves' by shedding parts like a leper. NCR* has done the opposite and evolved by delivering products that meet the needs of their customers and added new things that take their core strengths and apply them in new ways.

All in all it's very interesting to watch as huge companies crumble. Hilariously, the same people who never learned to manage have done excellent work in preventing the traditional indicators of business collapse from occurring, but they can't see they've done nothing more than change the indicators, not the problems.

*There's a several volume book called 'The Incorruptible Cashier' that follows the evolution of National Cash Register (NCR), from their initial, simplistic 'cash boxes' on to the fancy, extremely complex mechanical brass cash registers to the more familiar electronic cash registers everybody knows. It's a neat look at how a company adjusted itself to suit the world, not so much trying to for the world to suit the company. It's worth a look.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are we talking the same NCR that built Target's POS system, hmm?

1. Don Jefe

Target POS

Any company that sells something is going to have duds, and the bigger and older the company, the more duds you'll find.

Regardless, Target has its own in house IT admin and security staff. They're the ones on the hook for sitting around doing nothing while their system was somehow to let a refrigeration contractor leave the door to their POS standing open.

2. Joseph Lord

> While their products are generally good, I do have one complaint: their audio specifications are crap. There is something drastically wrong with Sony sound. To my ear, it's very "flat."

I thought "flat" was high praise for audio gear. A flat response would imply a lack of distortion/alteration of the original signal wouldn't it? Or do you prefer high oxygen copper cables for the dynamism they add to the music?

1. Don Jefe

A flat response is good, a flat sound is not good and they are wildly different things. Both can occur in the same system, just as only one of those things, or neither.

Response is how the system responds to its input signal, sound is how the system responds to the response of the input :)

2. Fatman

Or do you prefer high oxygen copper cables for the dynamism they add to the music?

No, he one of those who buy the $500 Denon cat 5e audio cable.

8. Yoru

Time to offload Olympus

Maybe investing so much in Olympus wasn't such a good move.

9. Tony Paulazzo

Sony said it will put a hold on development of OLED (organic-light emitting diode) tellies and focus on 4K high-def goggleboxes to get its business back on track.

Yes, because that's what consumers are crying out for - oh, wait...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like