back to article Virtually yours: Microsoft unveils Windows-as-a-service

Microsoft has uncanned its desktop-a-service, giving mobile users a preview edition of Windows apps on the go. The software giant yesterday announced the pilot of Azure RemoteApp, previously codenamed Mohoro. It was announced in a slew of news from at the company's TechEd North America conference in Houston, Texas. The Azure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Microsoft unveils Windows-as-a-service

Microsoft unveils Windows-as-a-service

As opposed to Windows-as-a-punishment or Windows-as-an-ordeal?

2. The BigYin

Three new offerings from MS

VaaS - Virus as a Service;

RaaS - Reboot as a Service; and

FaaS - Frustration as a Service (this is Win8 based after all)

1. dogged

Re: Three new offerings from MS

All of these are already offered by Adobe and Oracle are competing heavily with them via Java. I think that particular market's too packed for Microsoft.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And Android - which also adds Spyware as a Service

1. The BigYin

> And Android - which also adds Spyware as a Service

Because Windows never, ever, ever did tha....wait a minute! (Phone home)

2. John P

It's actually based on Server 2012 (not 2008 as the article suggested) and from the demo at TechEd, you don't see any of the OS, just the app itself, so the OS is not even a factor here I think.

It looks interesting, I'll wait to hear how much it costs before getting too excited...

1. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

Angles

Price will be a factor as I can slice-it & dice-it here. What caught my eye was the reference to RemoteFX which is the single most painful to provision on the host side. If I can get some sort of workstation to rent going... tie that to a render/compute farm ... could be interesting.

3. Blue eyed boy
    Devil

Should the title have been

Windows as a *chargeable* service?

4. John__Doh

Windows Server 2008?

I don't get it, is the article trying to say that this is deployed on Windows Server 2008? At the very least surely they'd go 2008 R2 like every other sane person who works in a windows shop? I'm surprised they're not using some highly customised version of 2012 R2?

1. dogged

Re: Windows Server 2008?

The article says Amazon use Win2K8, not Microsoft. I believe MS are using Win2K12 R2.

5. SVV

Wht didn't I go for a career in marketing......

.... instead of all this complex IT stuff?

Introducing BAAS

Bullshit as a Service

cloud, mobile, remote, management utilities, virtual, cloud, productivity suite, tools, empowering, cloud, connectivity, flexibility, clod, sorry cloud, just move all these post-it's around the whiteboard, press release, story in the press.............

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like