back to article Supposedly secure Dogecoin service Dogevault goes offline

Dogevault.com, a site that claims to hold the cryptocurrency Dogecoin in conditions of optimal security, has gone down. The site now consists of the following message: Notice: We apologise for the downtime, a press release will be posted here within 24 hours. Please do not transfer any funds to Dogevault addresses while our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. oldtaku Silver badge
    Facepalm

Whyyyyyyy?

Why would you put your cryptocoin (of any sort) in a third party 'vault' when these things have big red 'hey come hack me for big loots!' flashing signs taped to their doors?

None of them are secure or even /can/ be secure with determined enough hackers.

And even if they're secure enough, eventually the admins succumb to temptation and you get 'hacked' by the people supposedly protecting your coin.

It's just a bad idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whyyyyyyy?

The usual story - Linux / Apache:

Apache/2.2.22 Debian mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.1e mod_fcgid/2.3.6

http://www.cvedetails.com/version/142323/Apache-Http-Server-2.2.22.html

1. M Gale

The usual story - Linux / Apache:

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-3436/version_id-92758/Microsoft-IIS-7.5.html

I'm sure if they only used Microsoft, they'd be so much safer.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/microsoft_asp_net/4656855.htm

So very much safer.

Whereas simply updating the totally free httpd to the latest version would make no difference whatsoever.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-45/product_id-66/version_id-161847/Apache-Http-Server-2.4.7.html

Nope, none at all.

You are Steve Ballmer, and I claim my £5.

2. Marcelo Rodrigues

Because some people trade this stuff. It is quite common to mine one coin and trade it for another.

There are programs that do just like the stock market: thousands of small transactions, playing the few satoshis of difference between two exchanges.

And there are the clueless, that use the exchange as a wallet.

3. NumptyScrub

quote: "Why would you put your cryptocoin (of any sort) in a third party 'vault' when these things have big red 'hey come hack me for big loots!' flashing signs taped to their doors?"

The Italian Job

Point Break

The Lookout

I still put my money in a bank, rather than keep it all under the mattress. YMMV of course :)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I still put my money in a bank, rather than keep it all under the mattress. YMMV of course :)

NumptyScrub,

Banks have this thing called a deposit guarantee. The first £100k of your money is safe. Unless the government goes down at the same time as the bank of course. But then your economy is collapsing anyway.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
        Meh

Well - you give it to a bank. What they do with it after that is anyone's guess. The only real difference is that banks have guarantee systems in place (albeit usually with a limit on the payout) so they can nearly always give you some money back when you ask them to.

But the important point to never forget is that banks don't look after your money for you. You give them your money in exchange for a promise that they'll give you some back if/when you ask. That's an important difference ;)

2. S 11

Dogecoin?

Wolfecoin or Foxecoin sounds more appropriate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dogecoin?

DeadDogecoin - thrown into Houndsditch.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Dogecoin seems appropriate. If you pronounce the 'e', you get dodgycoin. Or close enough...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

No, I think it's pronounced like the Venetian Doge.

3. Ole Juul

git along little dogies

" Head 'em up and move 'em out,... git along little dogies."

1. Mpeler
      Coat

Re: git along little dogies

Have to say the banking industry has been going to the dogs...although it is a dogeatdogevalult out there...

They're having a woof time because they weren't ready to play with the big dogs.....

(Heads doggedly to the door....)...

4. Sanctimonious Prick
    Thumb Down

Bugger!

Looks like I'll be leaving that stuff alone from now on.

5. Mark 85

Idiocy....

So someone, somewhere, if and when they are caught will be doing some serious time for $51,000 US???? Which all has me wondering.... if they stole it, where are they going to exchange it for cash????

1. M Gale

Re: Idiocy....

Why exchange for cash when you can exchange for BTC?

Or more directly, for guns, booze and hookers?

(I wonder if any hookers/pimps accept Dogecoin?)

6. thomas k.

Such subhead.

Much droll! So Smiling.

7. Neoc

What did the Doge do?

King Roderick: The Duke. What did the Duke do?

Hubert Hawkins: Eh... the Duke do?

King Roderick: Yes. And what about the Doge?

Hubert Hawkins: Oh, the Doge!

King Roderick: Eh. Well what did the Doge do?

Hubert Hawkins: The Doge do?

King Roderick: Yes, the Doge do.

Hubert Hawkins: Well, uh, the Doge did what the Doge does. Uh, when the Doge does his duty to the Duke, that is.

King Roderick: What? What's that?

Hubert Hawkins: Oh, it's very simple, sire. When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.

King Roderick: Who did what to what?

Hubert Hawkins: Oh, they all did, sire. There they were in the dark; the Duke with his dagger, the Doge with his dart, Duchess with her dirk.

King Roderick: Duchess with her dirk?

Hubert Hawkins: Yes! The Duchess dove at the Duke just when the Duke dove at the Doge. Now the Duke ducked, the Doge dodged, and the Duchess didn't. So the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge, and the Doge got the Duke!

King Roderick: Curious. I... I... hmm? What? What's that? All I heard was that the Duchess had a siege of rheumatism. She's 83, you know.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What did the Doge do?

This has got something to do with the pellet with the poison being in the vessel with the pestle, hasn't it ?

1. Elmer Phud

"This has got something to do with the pellet with the poison being in the vessel with the pestle, hasn't it ?"

Nah, it's all about the sanity clause

1. no-one in particular
          Joke

Sanity clause doesn't exist

2. Indolent Wretch

No! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

8. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Apparently it's hard to run a secure currency.

Who'd have thought it?

1. d3rrial

Re: Apparently it's hard to run a secure currency.

Cryptocurrencies make it incredibly easy to run a secure currency actually... You only have to take advantage of that. Would you trust your pounds to just anyone who'd tell you he'd *definitely* keep them safe for you? Well, some people would, and these kinds of people also exist in the cryptocurrency world. The difference is, cryptocurrencies allow you to be your own bank (well, except the loaning part) and not having to trust an untrustworthy third party.

1. DropBear

The difference is, cryptocurrencies allow you to be your own bank (well, except the loaning part)

How weird... I thought I could do that with my cash too!

1. d3rrial

Yet, if you want to store cash securely you either have to trust a third party, invest a good sum of money (for example for a personal safe (for which you have to trust the manufacturer of course)) or pray to all the deities you believe in that your cash isn't stolen or destroyed (this usually doesn't help btw).

To send your cash to someone you'll again either have to trust a third party (for example a postal service that they deliver it appropriately) or do it yourself. This may become a problem if the person you want to give your cash to is quite a distance away from you.

Point is, using traditional currency requires trust not only in it's value but also in it's storage and transfer. With cryptocurrency you control storage and transfer yourself and don't need to trust a third party at all, the thing you do have to trust in both systems however is the value of the currency.

1. Nick

> the thing you do have to trust in both systems however is the value of the currency.

Yeah, and how likely is it that one crook would ever be able to undermine the value of a "traditional" currency... oh, wait.

1. d3rrial

Very very high actually.

Look what happened to the German Goldmark for example.

Iceland is currently also having a "bit" of trouble with their currency. True, that isn't the fault of one man alone, but does that make it any less valid?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I thought I could do that with my cash too!

Oh my gode!

2. Daniel B.
        Boffin

The difference is, cryptocurrencies allow you to be your own bank (well, except the loaning part) and not having to trust an untrustworthy third party.

Nope. You can be your own bank if you wish with "fiat" money, but you need to be really good in accounting. And doing a crypto currency bank, yes you can do it, and yes you can do loaning. The problem there is that it's going to be harder to collect unpaid debts.

9. Elmer Phud

Is there problems in the tulip fields?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Apparently someone's run off with the tulips. We're now waiting to find out whether they've taken the field as well...

10. 4ecks

Why do I always read it as

Dodgy-coin ?

1. d3rrial

Re: Why do I always read it as

I read it as D'oh-gecoin

11. Joe K

Time to update the story, the site now admits they were hacked.

There is a tick on this Doge

12. Bucky O' Hare

Dogecoin is actually very big business now.

It's the fifth largest crypto coin in terms of market cap, but the biggest out of all of them in terms of volume traded.

It's in the transition phase of people realising it's not a joke and actually becoming a serious currency.

1. d3rrial

No, it's really not. Serious that is. Dogecoin is a joke and will remain a joke. It's unwise to underestimate it, but it won't be the worlds next currency. Even if it's not going to be Bitcoin, it will most definitely NOT be Dogecoin.

2. Tom 13

Re: It's in the transition phase

Not anymore.

13. 7teven 4ect
    Headmaster

Punctuation error in your current frontpage message,

Dear Doge Support,

You have a superfluous apostrophe in "attacker's'"

Expected result: "We will also closely be investigating potential attack vectors, and determining the security breach which enabled the attackers to compromise the service."

Observed result: "We will also closely be investigating potential attack vectors, and determining the security breach which enabled the attacker's to compromise the service."

Kindest Regards,

J

P.S. Punctuation is important. I prefer cats but doge is ok too.

1. d3rrial

Re: Punctuation error in your current frontpage message,

Maybe the attacker had a "to", which compromised the service. ;)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

whooda thunkit?

a "currency" based on a lame internet meme goes south? No wai!

1. d3rrial

Re: whooda thunkit?

Contrary to popular belief a mall doesn't have to close down after one of it's shops goes bankrupt.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like