back to article LinkedIn killing CardMunch biz-card scanning app

Way back in the year 2000, Palm Inc tried to kill off the business card with a feature called “beam” that allowed users of its handheld computers to distribute their contact details by infrared, so that they'd be sucked up into one's contacts file. The feature never quite took off, despite Palm's infamous ad depicting it as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dan1980

Raised lettering . . .

Scanned business cards are well and good but do they accurately portray the important differences between bone, egg-shell and pale nimbus?

Can they even render Sillian Braille or Romalian type?

Most importantly, do they allow a full appreciation of the subtle off-white colouring or tasteful thickness of a card and do they display watermarks?

1. Mark 65

Re: Raised lettering . . .

Indeed, what would Patrick and the boys make of this? It's just not the same passing around an app

2. Bob Vistakin
    Terminator

The real reason

Hands up those who even knew this existed.

3. goldcd

"business cards – remain ubiquitous today"

Can only speak for myself, but I've not handed out any of the thousands still hiding in my desk drawer for years, nor been given one.

4. StripeyMiata

Car Salesmen

Been looking at a new car recently and car salesmen (as well as trying to make you buy overpriced GardX) love to hand them out.

Can't think of any other industry at the minute who still use them much.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like my contacts where I can protect them..

With so many data collecting sharks around I have never been comfortable with a web based scanner - in the area I work in, business relations are by law confidential. This is also the reason I have a fairly short and empty LinkedIn entry.

Last argument: US business. My data. No. I'll use a standard card scanner, thank you.

6. Caaaptaaaain kick arse

Can see why it wasn't popular

Adding as a linked in contact, well it creates that link.

How many of us have been given cards and threw them away at the earliest opportunity?

7. James Boag

are you comparing apples to apples

I was under the impression that business cards and scanning did not spam the shit out of you, your contacts, your grandma and all her contacts !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like