back to article Samsung's NX300 cam is bad in bed: Snatch victims' pics over the air

The relentless push to differentiate otherwise-mundane products by adding intelligence has tripped up Samsung, after its NX300 camera was found to offer up everything from user location leaks to remote code execution. The NX300 is a midrange camera that follows the trend towards adding NFC and WiFi capabilities so that users …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Why does a camera need NFC?

Can someone eplain in plain language or is this just a 'thing' added by marketing because, well you know NFC is cool tech?

WiFi, I can understand as a way to upload piccies but from my experience it sucks the life out of batteries so I prefer the sneaker-net method, removing memory card and inserting it into reader connected to PC/Laptop often several hours later. (spare cards carried naturally)

NFC is IMHO No Frigging Chance of me ever using it. Mind you I never have BT enabled on any device so the point is moot.

Or is this just Samsung SOP whereby they release a clearly unfinished product?

1. David Gosnell

Re: Why does a camera need NFC?

NFC won't be used for the transfer itself, merely to initiate a one-off wifi/bluetooth/etc connection. NFC itself can only realistically transfer very small amounts of data, so for practical transfer purposes it is used to negotiate a connection by other means without confounding the user with SSIDs etc. A veil of security is provided by the physical proximity (millimetres) required for NFC devices to get cosy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Samdung. Add lots of features and don't bother to ensure they all work properly.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Facepalm

hardware engineers suck at software security

Really?

Citation?

Any more so than the 90% of Software only people clueless at security?

How do we know the SW in the camera was done by HW folk anyway?

1. theblackhand

Re: hardware engineers suck at software security

Most hardware engineers have a fairly good idea of how to secure hardware.

A carefully applied hammer can secure most hardware - maybe using cable cutters and a selection of screwdrivers for the more subtle alterations....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sniff...

...X Server, Enlightenment; Reads like FOSS

Massive security flaws. Yup, deffo FOSS.

Does it attempt to use SSL? Because that's yet another gaping hole in the FOSS sieve. It's so bad they have to get help from Microsoft!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: Sniff...

Don't worry, they tried Windows 8 first, they really did want to make it work.

As for Microsoft helping FOSS, let's not be silly, shall we ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sniff...

Because as we all know, it's totally impossible to configure expensive or closed source software to be stupidly insecure. And they never release it with gaping security holes.

5. bouncy

Not The First Security Slip Up Samsung has Perpetrated

This reminds me on the D series Samsung TV Issue that this publication couldnt even be bothered to look into when I reported it, where when SWL (samsung Wireless Link) was enabled to allow you to remote control the tv via your smartphone or tablet, the tv would present an access point which I then assume your tablet or phone connected to. If you know the WPS (which by the way is 00000000) you can extract the WPA passphrase and/or connect to the tv like any other access point. From there, you are given are on a different subnet to that of any your tv may be connected to, however the tv will then route traffic from its subnet to the subnet of the network it is also connected to. This gives anybody who is within range of the access point the tv presenting complete access to your network, simply for knowing the WPS is 00000000. SWL is only meant to enable the remote control features of your tv, it is as far as i know not meant to give ANYBODY access to your network in a way you cannot block. You cant change the passphrase, and you cant change the pin.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't like where this is going

I will refuse to connect my toilet to the wifi router. I want to be able to use it without some hackers flushing the toilet while I'm sitting there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Bernie - Re: Don't like where this is going

You forgot to consider that your smart toilet will require a functional Internet connection before it will allow you to sit on it (it's only for enhancing your experience, honest!). Now how long can you resist to that ?

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Joke

Re: Don't like where this is going

I know just the way to deal with them without moving a step...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Headline typo, surely

should read

victims' Snatch pics over the air

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like