back to article Alien invader plunges tool into virgin 'Windjana', sniffs powders

Curiosity, NASA’s nuclear-powered truck on Mars, has drilled into the planet’s surface for the third time, taking a chunk out of a sandstone slab dubbed Windjana. Sample-collection drill hole on Martian sandstone target 'Windjana' Hole in, done ... where Curiosity drilled into the Martian ground (Credit: NASA) The dust- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Driller thriller in the chiller

Good work Curiosity!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Martian lab may even take this sample to go, analysing the powder as the rover continues its drive towards Mount Sharp.

If the Martians are clever enough to have a lab which can analyse the chemical composition of the sample, then surely they must already known the answers. Why did we drill another hole in their planet?

1. Charles Manning

Why did we drill another hole in their planet?

For the same reason we insensitevly call it Windjana instead of the local name.

Interplanetary colonialism.

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

When will this Vandalism and Defacement of Nature stop???

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're going to feel pretty stupid when it turns out that Martians are trolls.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Alien

I wouldn't say they are trolls, more easy to anger if their stuff is drilled into.

1. TRT Silver badge
  5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

black adder on mars

move more slowly than an asthmatic ant with 2 bags of heavy shopping must have been the design brief.

6. TRT Silver badge

Gold star

for the headline!

7. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

The Martian Hillbillies

I guess even if they strike oil they are still stuck on Mars ... I wonder if NASA filed an environmental impact statement prior to drilling?

1. Chris G

Re: The Martian Hillbillies

Well, at least if they do strike oil there, there is no government to destabilise before bringing democracy and a bevy of ex-oil execs in as interim governors.

8. E 2

We should send some real drills - deep oil drilling tech - and drill some real holes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"We should send some real drills - deep oil drilling tech - and drill some real holes."

If we could do that, we* wouldn't be wasting our time doing it on Mars. There are plenty of more interesting places we would be able to reach.

*For some value of "we" that doesn't include me. I'm definitely not clever enough to be associated with NASA, even in my own mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.