back to article Vendors pushing fibre on developing countries, says Oz minister

Australia's communications minister Malcolm Turnbull has told the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) that developing nations should follow his country's lead in abandoning fibre-only network rollouts for his beloved “multi-technology model”. In a “native media”-style video interview with the ITU in Geneva, Turnbull …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mort
    Facepalm

At the Heart of Humanity

I'm surprised you didn't slip in his closing comment "The ITU is at the heart of humanity". It was a very hard hitting interview.

"Australia: Aiming to be #1 telecommunications role model for third world countries everywhere"

BTW - The video in the article doesn't show for me, but here's one I found earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--AYO26hghk&sns=tw

2. frank ly

“If we want to get the benefits of broadband, particularly … in countries that aren't as wealthy as Australia ....."

If "WE want to get the benefits .."? Will the 'targeted' countries have any say in the matter?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Philippines

I've just got back from the Philippines visiting family, had a stable 7mb connection in the house and on a prepay mobile sim I had unlimited lte for 7 days at 299peso (£4).

Maybe Australia does't want to look stupid when all the developing countries around them have better connections?

1. LaeMing
      Unhappy

Re: Philippines

"Maybe Australia does't want to look stupid when all the developing countries around them have better connections?"

Very much so, I think!

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Fiber is not a cargo cult

Greenfield fiber is cheapest - it takes the same amount of money to put in the ground as new copper. It is cheaper than HFC (coax is not particularly cheap and coax street box infra is more expensive). It is massively cheaper than greenfield fiber+copper. It also has the lowest cost to maintain (assuming PON).

In fact, the same math applies to developed countries too. It is simply a matter of what depreciation period do you put on it. If you put 10 years depreciation period (a number most utilities put on their infra) instead of sub-5 years (most telcos) fiber to the home ends up being cheaper than maintaining and upgrading HFC or fiber to the curb over the same period.

The problem is elsewhere. With fiber in the ground 90% of the telco field workforce will be out of a job. Try getting that idea past the union.

5. JaitcH
    WTF?

I'm glad Australia hadn't spread it's gospel before now.

Way back in the day when the US was licking it's wounded pride over it's defeat by VietNam, it banned the export of many goods to this country. European and Chinese companies seized the opportunity to ignore the US and one area, exploited by Germany, was telecommunications.

We have had digital switches since the earliest days, and end-to-end digital signalling, as in handset to handset. You could even hook a digital modem to a line and get fast InterNet. Some telephone instruments even had data connectors.

And they went crazy with fibre optic. Almost every highway has a fibre optic cable under it. These cables surface in towns, villages and hamlets (a few houses) where the distribution boxes are mounted on poles and the house-drops radiate from there.

When I built my house, as well as when I built my office, along comes the cable gang pulling in fibre optics! This means that, depending on the building termination unit configuration, I can select who will provide my cable TV, telephone or InterNet service. As the terminals are easily configured I have managed to change some selections ... unofficially.

Same with my wife's hotels, even though one is somewhat remote, along comes the fibre guys, no copper in sight.

In the cities, copper is eschewed with new buildings also being blessed with multi-vendor fibre optic.

Despite what Australia thinks, IMO copper is passée, and fibre offers the best return on investment, particularly given today's copper prices. The same applies in Canada, except that competing carriers insist on running separate FO drops to each residence!

Australia's communications minister Malcolm Turnbull viewpoint is somewhat skewed - possibly Australia has an interest in copper? Fibre optic has so many long-term benefits that makes anything else ill advised.

We also have low-power radio and television transmitters which are fed from FO in remote areas.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm glad Australia hadn't spread it's gospel before now.

"Australia's communications minister Malcolm Turnbull viewpoint is somewhat skewed - possibly Australia has an interest in copper? Fibre optic has so many long-term benefits that makes anything else ill advised."

Mine production of copper is about a million tonnes a year, making Oz a world top 5 producer. The only country consistently producing more is Chile. Of course, if Australia is adopting fibre, then what to do with the 90 odd million tonnes of copper reserves, particularly if China's crazy investment boom tails off? Sell it to the developing countries, in the belief that they're simple and won't realise they've been had?

6. Fluffy Bunny
    Holmes

Journalistic standards

" his beloved “multi-technology model”."

Be careful, your bias is showing again.

1. Scoular

Re: Journalistic standards

Why is it bias to point out that the minister is supporting a technically absurd mix of non solutions as an alternative to doing the job properly as other countries are doing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Journalistic standards

Well who's bias is showing in the use of the term "native media" in this context? But if he's pushing copper, maybe they should have used the term "native voice"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everything depends on the country in question....

We have an example from Vietnam, above. From a couple of my global stomping grounds:

Fiji. There's very little copper so, even in the main towns, wireless (WiMax) rules. Fiji now has its first 4G network. Neither copper or fibre make sense, since everything is a bit too spread out.

Zimbabwe: There's plenty of copper in the towns and cities, so Huawei are re-using expertise from the UK (and other countries) to bring normal ADSL and (I'm told) FTC. Zimbabwe's first LTE network is being rolled out.

What of Australia? Well I'd agree that for a place as big as Aus, getting FT(to every)P was a bonkers plan in the first place (sorry, Internet starved Australians) but surely the big cities should benefit?

With wired and wireless, the issues are the same as the UK; not spot areas where it isn't economical to deploy, without subsidy. In the UK, the government has subsidised generously; BT pocketed the money..... So, a developing country stands even less chance than we do!

1. Scoular

Re: Everything depends on the country in question....

Why is it bonkers for Australia to install fibre in rural areas? Fibre was never going to really remote locations which were to get satellite, only to places already served by copper much of which is aging and costing a lot to maintain.

To provide a decent service to as many Australians as possible is a quite valid policy decision. The cost when compared to other government expenditures is not bonkers at all. A modern society rather depends on good communications and not just for those of us in the capital cities.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Geographically large areas are better covered by wireless. Besides, how do define decent service? Do you have specific download/upload speeds in mind?

1. Robin Bradshaw

"Besides, how do define decent service?"

Youtube 480p no buffering

/me glares at Sky's craptastic "pro" substitute for Be.

Can we get the UK redefined as a developing country so we can get some of that fibre goodness too?

8. Disgruntled of TW

Utter rubbish ...

... this is shorttermism at its best - "I want a chunk of chocolate now", when the whole bar is available with a little patience and doing the right thing. This is ignoring the maintenance cost of copper and the restrictions of radio. Important to keep all those fields engineers employed ... far more important than a future-proof broadband technology, evidently. When a politician opens with a punt at the previous party, you know he's a technologist at heart <cough>.

With governments in Oz and the UK backing the incumbents that only have eyes for their rusty copper network profit streams, some communities are DIYing their fibre to break the profit cycle. Gob-smacked that government (we elect them don't we?) are not more supportive of public/community owned broadband infrastructure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Utter rubbish ...

"Gob-smacked that government (we elect them don't we?)...."

Yes, but they don't represent your interests.

"are not more supportive of public/community owned broadband infrastructure."

They tried publicly owned infrastructure. Almost without exception this stifled all innovation, resulted in high costs and poor customer service. That's why it has no mostly been privatised. if the privatisation isn't doing what you want, then that's not a flaw with the private company - they are supposed to look after their shareholders interests) it is a flaw with the regulation by the government.

When it comes to community owned infrastruture, what can government do? Use taxpayers money to subsidise even more rural broadband?

9. Christoph

Copper is a lot more expensive when you have to keep replacing it after it gets nicked.

And it will get worse as the price of copper keeps rising - it will get nicked more and it will cost more to keep replacing.

For a greenfield site, copper is ridiculous.

10. Chad H.

Once upon a time there was two ways to do things - the wrong way, and the great western railway.

Now there are two solutions... The right one, and whatever snake oil turnbull is selling this week.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Once upon a time there was two ways to do things - the wrong way, and the great western railway."

Well, seven foot track and a decent loading gauge didn't prevail, more's the pity, so arguably we went the wrong way long before the GWR was finally crushed by the state.

1. Chad H.

Indeed, but you have to admire that over the space of one weekend they managed to covert their whole network from one gauge to another.

These days it seems we'd be lucky to get a mile of track done.

1. Number6

In some places they laid a third rail so that standard gauge trains could use the same track. It wouldn't be too hard to spend time doing that over the whole network and then swapping the rolling stock from broad to standard gauge.

You can still see an example of this sort of track at Didcot railway museum. I think you can even ride on a broad gauge train at times, too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like