back to article ARM targets enterprise with 32-core, 1.6TB/sec bandwidth beastie

ARM has released more details about the innards of its cache-coherent on-chip networking scheme for use cases ranging from storage to servers to networking – specifically, its CCN-5xx microarchitecture family and its newest member, the muscular CoreLink CCN-508. It's been almost exactly 29 years since Acorn Computers' ARM1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Savard

Even More Useful

Now, if AMD could put x86 cores in this thing instead... or in something of their own with similar capabilities, they'd have a competitor to the Xeon Phi.

2. Irongut

You name it, we generally build it

Except you don't. You license the designs to other companies who customise them and then build it.

Nice to see a company fellow understands the business he works for.

1. frank ly
      Happy

Re: You name it, we generally build it

Except that if you redefine your customers/licensees as partners, then you can say "we build ...".

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: You name it, we generally build it

I imagine they build/have built for them the initial designs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First one to hook this up to a Hybrid Memory Cube wins.

4. oldcoder

This just might be the first nail in x86-64

It looks like it should take the processing crown...

and beat the crap out of the I/O limitations in the Intel architectures.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: This just might be the first nail in x86-64

This just might be the first nail in x86-64

It looks like it should take the processing crown...

and beat the crap out of the I/O limitations in the Intel architectures. ... oldcoder

And you aint at all wrong with that observation, oldcoder.

Great Gamers/New Orderly World Order Players require nothing less to lay waste to Intel architectures, which be little more than just unjust moronic base exoskeletons and amongst the finest of oxymorons.

2. Bronek Kozicki

I share the sentiment, but we need to be aware that it took long time for x86-64 to take the crown. It won't be very soon (unfortunately) when we start seeing many-core ARM servers in every server plant. But this announcement shows that the work required is being done, so it's a good news.

3. theblackhand

As no one else is being pessimistic about this, let me jump in....

We have bandwidth numbers and some fluff about how the CPUs can talk but no real world details about performance/power usage/chip size/cost. The cache, memory bandwidth and I/O require die space and power.

There will be a market for this type of processor (i.e. mobile telco's) but that doesn't mean it will replace x86's or even the SPARC's that seem very similar in design philosophy (high core count on a fast interconnect).

1. Charles Manning

You can't cover everything in an announcement like this. There are some reasonable assumptions to be made: there might be coffee in the coffe pot and the pastries are eadible.

Since this is ARM, and they clearly understand what they need to do to succeed in server space, the answers to performance/power usage/chip size/cost can be assumed to be high/low/depend on pinning/low.

Of course clocking 32 CPUs and Tbytes of data is going to scoop power, but at least with ARM architectures it is feasible. x86 would have a chip swimming laps in a puddle of solder.

There are many server builders out there who say "gee, I wish there was a processor that had X feature, because we could then make product Y". In the past they have had to hope Intel makes such a part and then actually keeps it in the market.

With ARM they can make their own part if nobody else does. It isn't as expensive as all that.

SPARC does share a similar phylosophy in some ways, but lacks the business accumin and market penentration. It is way easier to work with ARM than SPARC.

4. itzman

Hmm. I wonder of a small piece of microcode could make a series of ARM cores execute x64 instructions..

Or someone builds a cross assembler that takes INTEL machine code and turns it into ARM..

5. Salts

It is Just...

Nice to see a UK Tech company doing well and planning for the future.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is Just...

Don't you worry, it'll be sold up to a respected foreign investor's magic beans just soon enough.

6. All names Taken
    Alien

Hmmm

I wonder if ARM should go into hardware n retail (even if it'd only by holding shares in enterprises)?

A new 21st C Archimedes might not be a bad thing (Google are you listening?)

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Hmmm

The 21st C Archimedes runs Android instead of RiscOS and a keyboard + mouse is optional.

Though the Archimedes did have a UNIX option (from about 1987?), Linux Kernel (only) was released about the same time as entire NT 3.1, 1993.

How does a Redmond x86 system today compare with 1987?

2. itzman

Re: Hmmm

"A new 21st C Archimedes might not be a bad thing "

Its a raspberry pi innit?

Or a smart phone.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting and informative, but...

"the Cambridge, UK company can wrangle a passel of their own IP blocks into a larger assemblage, and license that überblock to chipmakers hungry to service the enterprise market."

wrangle a passel? überblock?

can someone remind Rik that English is spoken here?

(if you're going to talk about wrangling with respect to Cambridge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_wrangler)

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive ARM Racing .... AI@ITsWork

I wonder if ARM should go into hardware n retail (even if it'd only by holding shares in enterprises)? …. All names Taken

With its Advanced IT Networking CPU Chipping Architecture delivering service, and reporting to and from servers everything that hardware and software are doing in both the real time space and virtual places, it already holds major stealthy invisible drivering shares in enterprises, All names Taken.

The quantum leap presented with the new paths configurations is to jump far ahead into the lead realm with smarter enterprises trailing and tailing and taling postmodernist cyber entrepreneurships rather than simply marketing and targeting a following of fools in a folly of failed fads with furnishing fabs. Step smartly forward into ControLed Controlling Cyberware and Command of Anything and Everything is Essentially Virtually Guaranteed.

The Virtual Machine Structure is Real Time SMARTR, and to XSSXXXX has learnt how to be and ensure that IT is always ever smarter still, than the former exotic phormer and erotic phish farmer model modules with their Dinosaurial Dynasties of Established Hierarchical Fiat Monopoly Current Systems Admins/Central Processing Banks with Rank Rigged Racks of Cracked Hackable Servers.

And the Future welcomes ITs Own Awesome Success in no small measure to existing systems admins certifiable disbelief in the truth whenever it be freely transparently shared, world wide web wide and world wide web side in all manner of browser for every sort of browser.

Words Control and Command and Create Worlds* …… and can Easily Destroy them too at Home and in Foreign and Alien Lands/Exotic and Erotic Space Places.

* Wrangle with Senior Bronco, Anonymous Coward, and Harness the Beast, and One has a Beta Steed that has no Equal or Better.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive ARM Racing .... AI@ITsWork

Apologies for the somewhat late revision of the above, shared in a few lines below, to give y'all the full skinny on what is being provided and exploited and expanded ......

* Wrangle with that and those particular and peculiar Senior Broncos, Anonymous Coward, and Harness the Beast then therein so Astutely Ably Activated and Supremely EMPowered, and One has a Beta Steed that has no Equal or Better.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like