back to article Epson takes on Google Glass with wired 'augmented reality' glasses

Think Epson and you've probably got printers on your mind, but the firm also makes wearable computing devices, and has released its latest effort in the area for less than half the current price of Google's forthcoming Glass headware. The Epson Moverio BT-200 is a pair of high-tech specs that uses twin microprojectors to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Suburban Inmate

IR version

Good for ummm... Stealthily putting the bins out?

<governator>I see everything.</governator>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IR version

Of course,The Governator surely wouldn't put the bins out without his trusty portable rail gun?

1. davidp231

Re: IR version

Nah he'd just erase them instead.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But for the extra money, Google Glass gives the user something the Epson doesn't; all the spying and tracking from Google.

1. anatak

still running android

so Google has plenty of opportunity to spy on you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: still running android

Android is Open Source and the spying capabilities can be removed. There are several different Android projects that remove it. PrivatOS is one.

3. anatak

racing

I keep thinking about how these glasses could project the ideal line in racing.

1. TopOnePercent

Re: racing

Not just the ideal racing line, but your previous maximum entry speed and gear etc, allowing for progressive improvements on track or frequently driven roads.

Future versions could have the possibility to highlight hazards around upcoming corners based on data gathered from users that recently passed through an area - assuming an eventual uptake in popularity.

The problem though, is that isn't what they'll be used for. Morons will use them to twitter, facebook, and watch cat videos, such that their already abysmal standards of driving suffer still further. The the lawyers will legislate for the lowest common denominator, as they always do, and augmented reality will be banned while driving.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: racing

"The problem though, is that isn't what they'll be used for. Morons will use them to twitter, facebook, and watch cat videos."

Like on the new Mazda 3 console...

4. Sammy Smalls

The trouble is that they're dot matrix glasses. Your eyes get a bit sore by the end of the day.....

1. Mage Silver badge
      Headmaster

dot matrix

I understand your attempt at humour.

[pedant mode]

Unless there is a CRT based headset all headsets are Dot Matrix

[/pedant mode]

1. DropBear
        Joke

Re: dot matrix

Your eyes get a bit sore by the end of the day

What, are you kidding me? Have you got any idea what a daisy wheel would do to an eyeball instead?!?

5. Mage Silver badge

less than half the current price

But the current Google price may have no relationship to any Google retail product price which could undercut Epson by over $200.

6. Mage Silver badge

schematics displayed

Only if you want to scroll a lot. 960 x 540 is about a quarter of the resolution you need.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: schematics displayed

I imagine the idea is that the display scrolls so that it overlays on whatever you are looking at. Scrolling isn't a problem, it's a desirable feature.

7. AndyMc
    Happy

Motorbike HUD

I keep thinking a hud for my motorbike with speed / gear selected, rpm and maybe map direction arrow would be cool.

Especially if linked to a GPS tracker and the soundsystem. You could take a left turn in to the wilderness, discover the ideal piece of road and record the twisty goodness for later replay!

8. Brian Casson

Enterprise use of Augmented Reality.

I have no doubt that SmartGlasses will become indispensable in the workplace in numerous professions, providing clear visual and audio guidance to operatives, whilst at the same time facilitating productivity and on-job training.

1. lurker

Re: Enterprise use of Augmented Reality.

I'm sure there must be irony and/or sarcasm in this post somewhere, I'm just not finding it.

1. seebert

Re: Enterprise use of Augmented Reality.

If you truly don't understand, read this:

http://www.marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google glass is cack but this is even worse.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me know when they have twin cams for depth monitoring

So they can drop-in Pac-Man dots and ghosts around the office here. Then they'll take off in business. And they must be able to do virtual blackjack and hookers. OK, forget the blackjack. And the Pac-Man. -(8[]

11. Troy Peterson

If they ever make it to the UK...

I have the first generation of these - the BT-100s... Which are shockingly useless... They display is good actually, but the CPU can't even manage to play a standard low-def video at better than 10fps... and there is no bluetooth, gps, gyroscopes... er.. nothing. Which makes them utterly useless...

Howwever, they have (supposedly) addressed all of these issues for the BT-200... I had a pair on pre-order.... then on the day before it was supposed to ship my order was suddenly cancelled... and I didn't get an explanation why until I emailed them.. Apparently they've decided not to ship outside of the US for pre-orders.... Nice of them to tell me that now.

Supposedly they'll be available in the UK in June... but we'll see.

12. Yoru

Nornalish

Plus the Epson classes have the big bonus of being able to wear them and almost look normal, rather than a complete Google prat.

I guess it's something to do with the marketeering doctrine that all early adopters are odd balls.

Take the retro digital DAB radios as another example.

13. Truth4u

they will sell it for £30

but in one month the chip in the battery will tell you that allthough perfectly functional, the battery needs URGENT replacement with a GeNuInE ePsOn BaTteRy that you can get in a 4 piece set for only £200

1. Truth4u

Re: they will sell it for £30

if you click the dismiss button it will say

WARNING ONLY SCUM DO NOT USE GENUINE EPSON

and poke you in the eye with a needle every 10 seconds till you do as you're told and buy what you're told to buy.

2. Havin_it
      Stop

Re: they will sell it for £30

Maybe yours is a different generation (certainly rather lower price point for the initial hardware cost), but with our Epson we can just ignore/disable the Low Ink nags, and usually get a couple thousand more pages out of the tank before it coughs dust and gives in. Best value ink I've used, though YMMV.

14. Vortigern

Well at least they have 2 eyes!

Reminds me of an idea I had ..... We need to convince Jeff Wayne to use such things to create a AI, War of the Worlds open-top bus tour of London with the aliens appearing at the appropriate locations.... The band can play along live on the bottom deck :)

15. Technological Viking
    Trollface

Self Respecting Hipsters

A truly self respecting hipster (which, of course, is one that avidly swears he is not a hipster, and does so without any trace of irony in his voice) would totally want to buy one of these! Nobody else would be willing to wear them in public and they can correct people that ask if they like their Google Glass.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so, generic smart phone compatibility?

Smartlink module, bluetooth camera/rangefinder on my rifle, processed by my phone and patched to glasses HUD?

Shadowrun is coming, chummer!

17. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Dead self-respecting hipsters?

Best kind...

18. seebert

Next version

Given the number of us geeks who have ruined our eyes sitting in front of a computer screen all day, we need a version of this that takes out the frames and lenses and adds adjustable clips instead.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like