back to article Amazon, Twitter, launch #AmazonCart tweet-to-shop service

Amazon.com and Twitter have teamed up to allow shopping by tweet. The system works like this: if a tweet includes a link to a product you fancy at Jeff's B's Big Web Bazaar, simply reply to that tweet and add the hashtag "#AmazonCart". Jeff B's cunning software will then put the item into your Amazon.com cart. You'll need to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crazy Operations Guy
    WTF?

This actually takes more time than the old way...

So rather than having a shortened URL pointing to the product page and clicking on the 1-click buy button, now you have to actually type out '#amazonCart" to buy something, which is a full 10 more button presses than the old way. Plus your purchase history is now public (something you could have done the old way too by using the social share buttons on the confirmation page, which ironically enough would have taken less button presses to do anyway).

So tell me, why would anyone do this?

1. Eddy Ito

Re: This actually takes more time than the old way...

Those extra keystrokes are actually a security feature to limit drunken twits from going on a spender bender.

2. Fihart

Twitter monetised !

I have enough stuff. Stop trying to flog me things.

TV has already been rendered unwatchable by ad breaks. Too many, too long, full of uncreative nonsense about products I have no interest in.

We have allowed the internet to go the same way. Its core function is being drowned in commercial blather.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

Re: Twitter monetised !

While I fully agree with your sentiment, I think you may find that 'commercial blather' is what many people feel _is_ the core function of the internet.

1. Fihart

Re: Twitter monetised ! @lyndon hills

To take the example of search, Google results are now dominated by paid-for entries -- probably not what you're looking for and often obstructing that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like