back to article NBN Co hoses down 'user pays' story

NBN Co, the company building Australia's Notionally National Broadband Network, has moved to hose down claims that it's planning on getting out of the customer premises equipment (CPE) business – something which local reporters believe would shift install costs to end users. The leaked document that's given rise to this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

NBN, pay, not pay

Chance would be a fine thing.

I'd pay!

2. aberglas

I would love to be able to pay

Pay a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars and actually be connected. Forget 25 megabits, 5 megabits would do. But just make it actually happen.

I am in a black spot. With essentially no internet at all. And there appears to be no intention to address black spots for many, many years. (The Notional Broadband Network actually prevents Telstra from addressing black spots.)

Have a look at the following if you are in a similar plight.

http://berglas.org/Articles/NBN/NBN.html

(But then you probably do not have access to the internet and so cannot read the wisdom contained in The Register.)

1. Vulcon

Re: I would love to be able to pay

It is hardly a guarentee that it will remain free, especially given the LNP policy prior to the election.

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Re: I would love to be able to pay

That guy lost me when he went on a "5mbps should be the priority, not 25" and "100mbps is pointless".

Quote: "There are zero internet applications, real or imagined, that would require more than 5 megabits other than ultra high definition TV."

Words fail me...

3. FrancisYoung

The Department's official risk assessment of the NBN before it began identified two over-riding factors upon which success or failure depended, both linked to the wholesale revenue stream:

- take-up rates

- delay to signup

In other words, the entire project is only appropriate as a government sponsored, off-budget infrastructure build if it drives early take-up of services. This is why Telstra and Optus were signed up as partners to secure prompt migration of their customers off legacy infrastructure, and why third party competition for fixed infrastructure was so vehemently opposed. It is why "flying squads" of technicians were brought in to resolve "class-zero" obstacles to service provision.

The sooner a customer can be brought onto the NBN, the sooner the government begins to receive monthly wholesale revenue. Charging customers even $50 for equipment will deter many customers from changing to fibre, perhaps by 12 months, all over a cost which is recovered after 2-3 months.

It is a revenue-positive choice to supply the equipment for free and bring them on board sooner.

The end game must remain that every premises in urban Australia (towns and cities) has a reliable and fast fibre broadband service with full retail competition, absolutely wherever this is possible to do.

4. Jimmy Pop
    Paris Hilton

Standard connection now 1mbps

User only pays for Gold Connection at a stunning 25mbps, or sign away your first-born for Platinum Connection and receive the full 26mbps!!! Businesses will still be able to pay for the Ultra-Mega-F^(&*-Off Connection and receive a maximum of 50mbps.

Paris, because even she can see the flaw in that modifier.

This topic is closed for new posts.