back to article Now is 'the wrong time to send hundreds of millions of dollars to Kremlin' - SpaceX boss

This was the week when Tim Cook tried to tantalise his legions of fanbois once more with the promise of... er... a new device. Hmmm. Ignoring the fact that Apple's well-worn iPhone and iPad products were once new products introduced to the market... hurrah! He said: I feel great about what we’ve got coming. Really great and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jedit Silver badge
    Coat

The new Apple device: some possibilities

A pedal-powered two wheeled transport device with integrated Apple GPS: the iCycle

A tablet with attached storage container for white earbuds other Apple paraphernalia: the iLid

An old device in a slightly different form, released to placate the herd of Apple fans who are getting restless having had nothing to spend their money on for at least five minutes: the iSoma

Me, rebranded as an Apple product: iLlGetMyCoat

2. Don Jefe

Colorful Characters & Losers

I like Elon Musk. Not because of his entrepreneurial spirit or his business savvy, or his name with an even number of letters, but because he's got a colorful personality. Most ultra wealthy people are about as interesting an expansion joints in the highway. The Icahn's and Schmidt's of the world don't have anything interesting to say that isn't 100% about the tedious parts of business. They really can't see that they've completely lost the plot.

You're supposed to do something with your money, not just talk about how great it is to have a bunch of money and how much greater it'll be when you've got more of it. All these ultra wealthy people in the world and only one of them is talking about building space rockets to protect us from Russian crossbow enthusiasts. What the hell? Bunch of losers. Don't even know how to be rich correctly.

We should lower taxes on exciting wealthy people and raise taxes on boring wealthy people. The boring people don't contribute dick to the economy. There's more money in letting your money be boring too. But exciting people build rockets, and experimental wooden airplanes and bring invasive wild pigs to Southern Appalachia giving generations of people something fun to chase through the forests. It would be so much better that way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Colorful Characters & Losers

Not only Elon Musk sees the imperative threat from the Russkies over Space - the Canadian government just cancelled a previously planned Russkie launch of a secret Canuck Military satellite... That'll show them! er....hang on a sec...hmmm?

More about the rise of fascism in Eastern Europe at http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-27/canadian-sanctions-boomerang-cancels-russia-based-spy-satellite-launch

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Colorful Characters & Losers

I like him because his name is an anagram of "Lone Skum", which sounds like a very bad garage metal band.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

The real reason it's typed GOV.UK

Fisher Price keyboards don't do lower case

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real reason it's typed GOV.UK

I thought they were still using teletypes.

It's all the fault of those bloody monks, inventing lower case. Sensible of Russian and Hebrew not to fall into that trap. Lower case must simply be one of the very worst ideas ever, along with the days in the months and summer time.

1. Don Jefe

Indeed. The liberal monks, more concerned with some arbitrary vision of creating content and context boundaries with different letters being used for the same letter elsewhere fucked everybody. As anyone who has ever set type, spelled out a message on a roadside sign or ended up owning a 30,000sq ft warehouse full of 4' tall illuminated channel letters for store signage can tell you, a single extra set of letters ain't going to cover your needs. Hell no.

You can follow all the letter industry standards and best practices you want, and you're still fucked. Magically, whatever you're trying to spell it will not work. No matter what. Go take the letters off a sign and put them back tomorrow. Ha! Fuck you! Buy another set of letters cause you can't ever put it back like it was before unless you order more letters.

They've gotten smart too. No longer can a 'p' become a 'b' or an 'm' a 'w' or a '2' a '7'. Nope. They've used some manner of 'FalseType' font and if you try to flip the letters around you just look like you're developmentally challenged or a cheap bastard. Sons of bitches.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Those bloody monks

lower case is fine. it's easier to read and write. that's why it exists. the mistake was failing to deprecate (and eventually stop supporting) upper case. it is particularly absurd in this instance because hardly anyone in the modern world actually understands the languages that the upper case letters were originally used for. the script has actually outlived the language!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

thats even before we consider punctuation

it was all done via context or just plain old memory and brute force decoding in older times

the next exercise is removing unwanted vowels from written text as it can easily be added by the reader at a later date

i just cannot decide if we have improved declined or gone full circle with text speech

1. andreas koch

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling

by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

1. Danny 14

MY EYES! NEED BLEACH FOR MY EYES!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is it ok to tell them to GOV.UK themselves?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like