back to article Twitter tunes out trashy Tweeters with much-needed muting module

Twitter is reportedly testing a new feature which could allow users to selectively "mute" Tweets from accounts they are following. According to user reports first spotted by The Verge, some users of the official mobile Twitter client app have been given the option to mute people on their feed, preventing those Tweets from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris T Almighty

Q. What do Twitter developers actually do?

This is a useful feature, but I'm amazed at how slow progress is at Twitter, Facebook etc. Considering the size of their development teams, they don't seem to actually *do* a lot.

Does building the infrastructure, creating new optimised database etc really take up all their time? I guess it must, but it never fails to amaze me how large teams can put in so much work with so little to show for it. I'm a developer myself, and I know how much a small team can do when they put their minds to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A. They tweet

About all the cool things they'd be working on if they had the time.

2. NotWorkAdmin

Don't get it

If I read it right, the idea is you still follow someone, for instance your boss because he's asked you to do it. Then you mute him as a way of him not knowing that actually you couldn't give a fig about his Tweets. This falls apart the moment your boss cries "read my last Tweet!" which will happen within seconds of you muting him.

Basically, this is a feature for people who are too scared to tell other people they don't find them interesting. Unhealthy attitude - honesty really is usually the best policy.

1. Amazon Wageslave

Re: Don't get it

That's probably not the best example of the use case for a mute function. Where it would be useful is when someone you follow is tweeting about an event you don't care about. Maybe a sporting event, or a conference you're not interested in. Mute them for the duration.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Don't get it

Or a TV show that won't be shown in the UK for days, if not weeks. And for that I want mute groups ("Game of Thrones") on a timer.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mute is a bit harsh and non PC

I prefer "Socially Incommunicado".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3rd party twitter clients have had this functionalitly for ages. It's extremely useful for muting hashtags that you've no interest in or, as a previous poster pointed out, muting someone for a short duration. I also use it to mute accounts I don't follow, that other people retweet into my timeline.

5. John Tserkezis

I don't use Twitter at all to effectively mute everyone.

Works well for me.

6. 's water music

discretely != discreetly

Muphry's lore.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like