back to article Nominet boss quits after rough patch at helm of dot-UK registry

The boss of troubled dot-UK registry Nominet has quit her job. Lesley Cowley has resigned from the company after 15 years of service. She said that it was "now the right time to move on". Her decision to walk away from the not-for-profit outfit comes after a difficult period for Nominet. In the past year, it has battled with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully this is good news.

Be interesting to see if Nominet is now run for the benefit of the wider community and not half a dozen large members.

2. Pali Gap

A legacy of dreadful corporatist nonsense

If the follow up to "Twenty Twelve" had been based on Nominet instead of the BBC ("W1A"), I think it would have worked perfectly. This week Nominet have produced their marketing materials (from a "not-for-profit"?) for the new ".UK brand". I cannot believe it is not from PR company "Perfect Curve": http://youtu.be/FD1-Gtg5j5M.

"Introducing the new dot UK logo...because our customers thought the "share" symbol, used across the web appeals to a new tech-savvy audience. The circle represents an online journey, starting from the dot. It also represents the world and the UK's place within it. The colour represents self-expression, new thinking, and new horizons. Some of the words customers used to describe it were 'pioneering', 'driving', 'connecting' and 'sharing'" etc. etc.

Nominet: Too much money and too much time on their hands.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge

"the company will operate without a boss and instead be run by the chief technology officer and the top commercial officer, who will work alongside Fritchie."

Their first names are Moss and Roy.

4. Rob 5

I bet either Clive Feather or Roland Perry would excel in the role.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

change of mind

what f*&ks me off here is that when NOMINET took over the UK TLD, *they* chose to stop having direct .uk registrations and instead have many sub-levels. okay...then over the past years they have refused to entertain requests for any .uk realms - but now, strangely enough, they've decided/found that consumers would find .uk very nice indeed and would generally prefer it over .org.uk etc - well...obviously they state it's because of consumer research..but really its a cash cow that this 'not for profit' is going to milk and all companies trading in UK are going to have to buy even more domains for their businesses :/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ROFL

...the firm had performed well under Cowley's tenure, having apparently gifted it with "a well-deserved reputation for excellent service"...

In that case may God preserve us from poor service.

7. Jamie Jones Silver badge

I don't understand..

"In the past year, it has battled with domain name registrars who failed to halt, or at least freeze, Oxford-based Nominet's unpopular second-level namespaces plan."

Huh?

Why did they battle with registrars who failed to halt something they planned?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like